Lexicon DC1 and Quad 306 compatibility, pls help !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DCB, Mar 13, 2013.

1. DCB

DCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Can anyone help me with a small problem ?
    I recently bought a Quad 306 amp that planned to use with my DC-1 preamp.
    When I connect the "Front" output of the DC-1 to the input of the 306 the speakers screams at full power, even with the preamp turned off or unplugged.
    I works with the rec/zone2 output of the preamp but I get no audio control that way. I also have a much older Quad 303 amp, no problem with that one.
    Any ideas would be very appreciated.

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    My guess is that the 306 you bought is broken. The good news is that Quad can probably fix it for you, so ask them.

3. DCB

DCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your input Mark.
    The 306 doesn't seem to be broken
    I tried everything I could think off...
    DC-1 in factory defaults.. no change
    Disconnected everything from DC-1 (power cord, all sources..) and connected only output (front) to amp. input = speakers screams as soon as I turn on the amp.
    Then I even tried cutting off the ground in the audio cord (connecting only the + wire between DC-1 output and amp. input) = no improvement.
    The noise it makes is not music, it's a screaming pitchy sound, a bit like there's a short cut somewhere on the circuit. But that same output (DC-1) works perfectly with the other amp. and the amp. works perfectly with a source directly to its input.
    What do you make out of this ???

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    It makes no sense, hence my suggestion of a service. Does this occur when you connect only the left or only the right channel? (Silly comment: has the 306 been bridged?)

5. DCB

DCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. It occurs with both channels. There's no bridging options on the 306 unless it's done on the circuit board.
    But I don't think so.
    As I explained before, the 306 don't seem to be broken as it works perfectly with a source (variable) directly to it.
    And there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the preamp. either as it works perfectly with the older amp. from the same manufacturer.
    A hell of a mystery uh ??
    Aron

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    May I assume you've verified that the interconnects aren't broken (he says, clutching at straws)?

[The 306 supports bridging by simple wiring, but you'd know if you'd done it].

I still reckon it's the 306, for the simple reason that it happens when the DC-1 is unplugged, and I can't think of anything more intelligent for what makes no sense to me. So why not give Quad a call (see link in post #2)?