Lexicon CX5 or Parasound A23 X 5

bass007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi have a Lexicon MC12B processor and currently using it with a Lexicon CX5 Power amp and M&K S150's.

feel that there is a lack of clarity and punch/slam to the sound and was thinking of replacing the CX5 with a Parasound A51 which is about 250wpc into 8ohms but then got thinking would 5 X parasound A23 in Bridge MONO mode which will give 400wpc into 8ohms.

The benfif I see is that each channel has its own power supply and and bit more grunt, any thougts will I be wasting my money?

I got same speakers and I got 6bsst delivering the power. I think if you could get bryston amplifier 6bsst or 9bsst it should sound great. I have used 9bsst with my m&k's and it sounded pretty same as 6bsst but 6bsst just don't break sweat even after whole movie. I never tried any parasound and lexicon amp so cann't realy comment , but A51 should be better as it is power full or you instead look for LX amp which is bigger brother of CX.

if you dont mind how much did you get your 9bsst for ?

Hi have a Lexicon MC12B processor and currently using it with a Lexicon CX5 Power amp and M&K S150's.

feel that there is a lack of clarity and punch/slam to the sound and was thinking of replacing the CX5 with a Parasound A51 which is about 250wpc into 8ohms but then got thinking would 5 X parasound A23 in Bridge MONO mode which will give 400wpc into 8ohms.

The benfif I see is that each channel has its own power supply and and bit more grunt, any thougts will I be wasting my money?

Hi Bass007 - you have been going thru some kit over quite some time now and are still not happy with the sound, i would suggest you start looking at the room acoustics instead of changeing amps/processors as IMO it is probably the room and not the electronics that is causeing the problems.

Even better would be to probably look at something like the new Audyssey MultEQ XT PRO which gives full EQ on all channels and i bet it will improve you're listening experience :thumbsup:

Hi Recruit,

I actually am going to order some Lenerd bass traps from the Audio agency this week, but I am still in two minds beacuse It doesn't seem to be a bass problem it just lack excitement.

My initial thought was to bass trap all the corners and put a few wedgies to stop reflections.

Is the Lexicon CX5 as good as people say it?

Hi Recruit,

I actually am going to order some Lenerd bass traps from the Audio agency this week, but I am still in two minds beacuse It doesn't seem to be a bass problem it just lack excitement.

My initial thought was to bass trap all the corners and put a few wedgies to stop reflections.

Is the Lexicon CX5 as good as people say it?

I have the CX7 running some seriously demanding Sonus Faber Extremas and I am very impressed. I had planned to bi-amp the fronts with the spare two channels but can't imagine that there's going to be any real improvement. I used a Bryston 5B-ST before and I have a 2-channel version (3B-ST) now, and I have been using it to directly compare with the Lexicon for the fronts. I have a suspicion that the Bryston has a little more slam whereas the Lexicon sounds a little more expressive (vocals sound particularly good). But I'm equally happy with both and can't decide which way to go. They are both excellent amps as far as I can tell.

Hi Recruit,

Hi bass007 - room treatments will certainly help with proper positioning & look forward to you're comments, AV can be alot of fun and sometimes it does take time to get the bits to gel together properly and sound right !

also do consider room EQ as alternative :thumbsup:

just a thought, never really seen or heard anyone doing this but how good would 3 Musical Fidelity A5 power amps sound like for home cinema? its fairly powerful at 250wpc into 8ohms?

just a thought, never really seen or heard anyone doing this but how good would 3 Musical Fidelity A5 power amps sound like for home cinema? its fairly powerful at 250wpc into 8ohms?

It would certainly work,and would deliver plenty of power but the sound is quite different from the amps you've mentioned previously....be sure to have listen first....some do find MF's overall sound to be a bit on the warm and rounded side,which is not a criticism,just an observation.

would this be better than Parasound A51 I am looking for clarity and slam.

would this be better than Parasound A51 I am looking for clarity and slam.

if this is what you are looking for the a51 will do that and more .it does get quite hot but i like that it take the chill of the room :thumbsup: so its a heater and a world class power amp

Alexs2,

I think I will give the Musical Fidelity A5's a go I hope it sounds good, will be almost imposible to find 3 of them for a home demo.

A51 has got more bass then Bryston 6bsst and honestly I am trying to find out where A51 is a lesser amp then Bryston in sound quality as I need to keep only one of these.
after doing some more listening I understand that Bryston amp is faster amp hence sounds bit more punchier and on other hand because of bit more bass front soundstage of A51 sounds bigger then bryston.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom