• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lexicon Caught Out On BD-30

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
The Lexicon BD-30 now has a product page on their website for those of you who are interested..... Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player.

Cheers.

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member

Avi

Distinguished Member
Some information on the changes Lexicon have made: Blu-Ray - SMR Audio/Video Forums.

So it's confirmed they use BBK sourced sub assemblies and stick them in a nice case in the US and pay to use THX logo. It will be interesting to strip the machine and see the difference with Oppo for the extra $3000. No sure why Joe Kane wouldn't like any player that meets reference video output levels.

I guess we will see how it performs in due course.

"The official Lexicon BD30 post:

Short Answer...Built in America...THX certified...Lexicon Quality and Support...Best Video...Fastest transport...Joe Kane likes it...first shipment expected in late October or early November.

What we bring to the table:

· Best video quality available using Anchor Bay’s technology

· Best player response times – Drawer responds <2seconds. For most blu-ray discs (regardless of profile) we can go from OFF to playing the main menu in about 10 seconds.

· Universal media formats – the only other model that has SACD is the $4,500 Denon model.

· Combine with the 7.1 MC-12 firmware update – for a superior sounding Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio solution.

FAQ:

· “What are the differences to the OPPO?”

o When we specified the BD-30 we focused on premium video & audio performance, fast response times, and a mechanical construction that upholds the lexicon tradition of excellence – Some parts are similar to the OPPO due to the fact we purchase subassemblies from the same contract manufacturer. We then ship this subassembly to Indiana and complete the manufacturing in the States. We load in application specific firmware

· “why does the Lexicon cost more?”

o The BD-30 is the highest performance blu-ray player available today and when you see the unit, you’ll realize that the product not only is the highest performance player, but is build to the highest standards in the USA. It is then shipped with Joe Kane’s setup disc and supported with world class customer support.

Edited by Todd Packer - Yesterday at 9:41pm
Todd Packer
Technical Product and Project Manager
Harman High Performance A/V
Lexicon - Mark Levinson - JBL Synthesis - Revel "

AVI

hawke

Standard Member
I wish it could be said that they made all sorts of changes, tweaked the player and produced a really cool product. Fact is, though, that they flat out dropped an Oppo into a Lexicon chassis with no hardware tweaks:

Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside &mdash; Reviews and News from Audioholics

The THX certification seems to be questionable as well, since the player has the same non-THX spec bass management issues as the Oppo. In this way, Lexicon and THX really got caught, because those analogue audio measurements are like a thumbprint.

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
I've just read that article after following a link from another thread in the processor forum. Interesting .......

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
That is amazing. I wonder what the people on here who try to justify the silly prices of HDMI and other cables will say about this.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Apparently it was murder on Saturday night.

There's a reference to it in post #48 here

Ha ha indeed :D

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Another nail in the coffin for expensive Blu-ray players...

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Another nail in the coffin for expensive Blu-ray players...

In a way, I hope not.

I mean if people are daft enough to pay that much without doing a little investigating or getting a demo, then that's their own fault.

And if the CEMs find they can't play people for mugs with Blu-ray Disc, might they be less interested in the format, and/or try to foist yet another one on us unnecessarily quickly?

Steve W

paulst10

Distinguished Member
And if the CEMs find they can't play people for mugs with Blu-ray Disc, might they be less interested in the format, and/or try to foist yet another one on us unnecessarily quickly?

Steve W

I think most high-end companies aren't big enough to dictate in future formats, they usually just follow suit. It's the LG's, Panasonics etc! that lead the way :smashin:

Mr_Sukebe

Established Member
· “What are the differences to the OPPO?”

o When we specified the BD-30 we focused on premium video & audio performance, fast response times, and a mechanical construction that upholds the lexicon tradition of excellence – Some parts are similar to the OPPO due to the fact we purchase subassemblies from the same contract manufacturer. We then ship this subassembly to Indiana and complete the manufacturing in the States. We load in application specific firmware

· “why does the Lexicon cost more?”

o The BD-30 is the highest performance blu-ray player available today and when you see the unit, you’ll realize that the product not only is the highest performance player, but is build to the highest standards in the USA. It is then shipped with Joe Kane’s setup disc and supported with world class customer support.

Edited by Todd Packer - Yesterday at 9:41pm
Todd Packer
Technical Product and Project Manager
Harman High Performance A/V
Lexicon - Mark Levinson - JBL Synthesis - Revel "

AVI

I've read that several times now, and I can't see any statement in there that there are significant physical differences.
Surely if Lexicon had made genuine upgrades (e.g. better PSU, caps etc) then they'd be talking about.

Oh dear, that really doens't look too good.

Stuart

Distinguished Member
In-fact the Oppo at present is superior to the LexiCON version as the latter lags behind the firmware updates that addresses such issues as:

On January 17th, 2010, a contributing editor of Widescreen Review named Amir correctly pointed out I should check all of the channels to ensure there were no differences. Since I only tested 6 channels in the Oppo, I repeated my test of the Lexicon with the six same channels. To my surprise I found the subwoofer channel went into gross distortion on the Lexicon BD-30. It took me several hours to realize this was a result of setting any channels but the main front channels to "small". Apparently there is a bass management recombination issue with the Lexicon that doesn't exist with the Oppo since the Oppo receives numerous firmware updates to address such issues. To our knowledge, Lexicon has yet to offer any firmware updates for their player to address such issues. Thus at this time I must correct our previous statement that both players are identical and now state that the Oppo actually fairs better than the Lexicon when using the analog audio outputs and bass management facilities under the current firmware Lexicon supports their BD-30 player.

I pity the 1st poor soul to sign-up to the LexiCON BD-30 owners thread :devil:

Avi

Distinguished Member
I've read that several times now, and I can't see any statement in there that there are significant physical differences.
Surely if Lexicon had made genuine upgrades (e.g. better PSU, caps etc) then they'd be talking about.

Oh dear, that really doens't look too good.

I think the "sub assemblies" referred to is an actual complete player. Buying a whole unit avoids licensing fees and is probably quicker to source/more economical that buying as parts or a low volume "special" player.

They then "assemble" this into a high quality LEX outer case in the USA. So what was said is accurate I guess as it appears Lex believe the stock Oppo meets their performance goals as mentioned. I would guess the "application" specific firmware has the Lex brand name in it and they can choose how things appear on the menu. Wouldn't want people to think it was an Oppo. We see similar with Pioneer's branded JVC HD-100 projector.

What's more concerning is the use of THX certification logo on a product that clearly doesn't meet the requirement based on the tests performed by Audioholics. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out and what excuses emerge.

Clealy brand and cost preconception appear to heavily influence some reviewers "subjective" options. ;)

AVI

Last edited:

Mr_Sukebe

Established Member
Lexicon are apparently not alone with the Oppo clones. Theta make one and also Ayre, though apparently Ayre have made some major revisions to their model.
Here's a response to "why does your mode cost $9000 more?":
(note that this response was taken from a different forum, but is apparently from the manufacturer)

Well, first of all you have to remember that we don't have to pay $500 for the unit. We buy in quantity, so Oppo gives us the spectacular discounted price of (make sure you are sitting down, please!) $400.

MOD COMMENT - Copy and pasting from other copy protected sites is not allowed, please quote a short line or two and then a hyper link to the page.

Last edited by a moderator:

crestron boy

Established Member
They'll totally disregard the facts and say it's definitely better, the same as this mug did;

Lexicon BD-30 Universal Blu-ray Player Reviewed

i think its more shocking that lexicon couldnt even be bothered to remount the components in there own chassis

they just took the oppo chasis used the same VFD and then just put a darker blu filter infront of the original oppo display

it makes me wonder whats lurking under the hood of there processors and power amps

i wonder if you take one of there power amps apart will you find a arcam p7 lurking inside there

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
What's the most shocking to me is that some people will still actually buy this and genuinely believe it's better.
The logic will be "it has to be better, look at the price".

The good thing to me is that this story is getting punted around and companies that do this sort of thing are rightly getting found out for what they are.

Whilst I don't have a major problem with re-badging, at least have the decency to say what's been done and charge a reasonable price for it.
An aluminium box with a thick front milled from a billet, does not justify an extra $3000, imo.

Ah well, it's their reputation that's being shot, along with that Dr Ken whatsiname :D

It does say a hell of a lot about the Oppo's quality though.

i wonder if you take one of there power amps apart will you find a arcam p7 lurking inside there

:D Nothing would surprise me these days.
While there are gullible people about, there will always be companies that do this sort of thing.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom