Lexar Workflow card readers?

razer1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I shoot a few events regularly and since upgrading to A77ii, I now have 3 cards which are normally about full after a days event.

Im in the market for a new reader anyway as my older Lexar one is a little slow.

Ive had my eye on one of the Lexar Workflow Professional readers for a while and wondering if they're worthwhile getting or just to stick with a bog standard usb3 reader??

Lexar® Professional Workflow line of products | Lexar

The bonus I like with the Workflow readers is the ( Slightly expensive) 4 reader dock you can get for them. Yes at £50 without readers its expensive but worth it for multiple cards?

Im pushing my Event photography atm anyway so with more events lined up for 2015, im liable to be a bit busy so was thinking of getting one reader for now, then buy another and the dock at a later stage so I can import multiple cards simultaneously?

The card readers themselves look alright and hopefully be better than my lexar USB2 reader I use atm.

I shoot onto SDHC btw! And will do for a while yet as not planning on switching cameras...

WWYD??

Ideas/ thoughts/ solutions please!! :D

TIA,
Raz

Last edited:
Looks a relatively expensive system and I don't see any real benefit over any USB3 Hub and discrete USB3 readers ?

Thanks Jim,

My only other thinking was it would be one less cable aswell around on my desk as it is quite cluttered especially when got both macbook out and working on hackintosh too..

Ive not found though a reader for just sd cards as I never have used any others. I did used to use CF on my A200 a few years back but not now.. I can get a usb3 version of my current Lexar CF & SD reader for a bit more than one of the SD's on its own of the workflow solution..

will think on it more.... :D

USB 3 support on Mac's is likely to be a problem with any hub TBH from what I've read - the hubs show as working if they meet "USB 2008 version 1" but that doesn't mean that usb drives/devices connected vi athe hubs will work and often they don't apparently - even if they work directly connected to the Mac....

But the lexar is just a tarted up expensive USB 3 hub or have I missed something - or do lexar guarantee the reader units will work with it on a mac ?

I cant seem to find anything that says either supported O/s's or that it works macs or windows!

By the looks of them having thunderbolt though, I would suspect they might have been aiming at Macs.... From what I understand, thunderbolt support for windows and pc hardware is limited, although this was sometime ago I looked at thunderbolt on pc's..

Im going to fire Lexar an email or something tomorrow and see what they say. :)

Will be interesteing to see what they say - presumeably the TB version is even more expensive...

Seems buried in the FAQ's macs are supported! Its not obvious though...

Yeah! Another £100 more!! :O Eek... Wouldn't bother with the Thunderbolt - the USB3 version would be more than enough for me!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom