Lex Say All Direct Firing 7.1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, May 31, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    In anticipation of my MC-1 Arriving next week I've been swotting up on the manuals online and chatting to CSE about the MC-1.

I've decided that despite the limitations in the current room I can't wait until the new room to go 7.1

Lex recommend Direct firing speakers all round. I love my TDMs and don't see me changing them for the sides. However I've yet to get some rears.

I was originally thinking about some more TDMs for the rear, but I'm now thinking whether direct firing rear surrounds may be more appropriate.

Has anyone got a Lex (Pref MC-1) with all Di-Pole surrounds?

Any opinions out there what should be my rears?

I may have a chance on some S/H TDMs so I'd like to buy pretty soon.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Hi Mark

How about a pair of Kef RDM 1´s as Surround backs. Cracking speakers, will match your Ref Fronts and your dipoles. I´ve got direct radiators as surround backs in my system, pair of Q85´s.

Works well for my system!!

cheers

Jase

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Would agree with above, i believe early opinions leaned towards towards 2 pair of Di-poles across the side and backs (as indeed i do with TDM's) but it would seem nowadays the considered preference is for direct radiators on the backs, i think this may even be part of the new THX 2 spec, in some circles it also has become a popular "belief" that THX have "changed" their minds and now recommend a single rear rather than 2, still think i will stick with my 2 pairs of 34's though in all honesty.

Steve.

4. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Hi,
    I used to have a Lexicon processor and I used dipoles for the side channels and direct firing speakers for the rear (although if I could of afforded it at the time I would have tried dipoles for the rear as well).

A discussion exactly the same as this one took place on the US AVSforum website some time ago, but unfortunately it seems the older stuff can no longer be accessed there.

The discussion had submissions from all sorts of people, including THX certified installers (the THX installers, and apparently HomeTheater magazine, suggested dipoles for best performance with a Lexicon), but in the end it all seemed to be a matter of personal taste.

If you love the sound of your Kef dipoles, then go for another set whatever happens I am sure you won't be disapointed.

Paul.

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lexicon never makes any recommendation for speaker types. I am a strong follower of the official SMR Lexicon forum and this has always been the statement. If you should use dipolar surrounds really boils down to personal preference. I was able to try my MartinLogan surround speakers in dipolar mode (pointed the dipole "null" towards me), but I didn't like it.

The best would probably be to choose one type of surround for both rears and sides, so you might want to consider another pair of TDM35s.

Do keep in mind that to make use of the "bass enhance" feature of the Lexicon, which I really like, you would need large sides for best effect. In that respect, another pair of Ref Twos on the sides would be optimal (also for improved integration), and put the TDM34s at the back.

My personal preference? All direct radiators. It makes the greatest use of the full-range side and rear outputs of the Lex.

6. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personaly, I like di-poles all round for every position except the middle speaker. This gives a far less localised soundwith loads of ambience everywhere.

Chip

7. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use dipolar speakers all around (even for the center speaker!). I only don't use them in di-polar mode... ;)

8. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a waste. You are missing great sound. Don't worry, when I come over I'll set them up for you properly :D

Chip

9. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome, see you in the netheregions soon.

Chip

11. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mike,

I have an MC-1.

I have experimented with Dipoles/Bipoles/Monopoles in various combinations.

My favourite was 4x Bipoles. I felt this was a good comprimise betweena discrete sound that wasn't as directional as monopoles.

I really didn't like what Dipoles do to the Logic7 steering (Dipole sides try to wrap the sound behind you).

I never use THX EX so I can't comment on how this effects things.

I did discover that mixing speakers at the rear is a mistake. Tonal consistency is a must if you are not going to hear an object "jump" from one speaker to another from the sides to the rears.

(the Blade boomerang bit at the beginning is good for testing this)

There's only one true recommendation - the sound you like in your room. You really need to borrow some speakers and have a play for a weekend....

Have fun.

Gary

13. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspected so. I will pass it to Interpol right away :eek:

Chip

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody tell me which is good for music and which for movies please as I've never heard dipole speakers.

Cheers,
    Ron

15. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't really like dipoles at all, but I think they are better for movies than music.

16. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    how about i throw tripoles into the bag? i have just ordered some and was told for surrounds they do the best job. saying that, they are selectable between tripole, bipole and direct...when i get them i will spend a LOT of time trying each first!

17. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great! Let us know your results! Be sure to calibrate the levels carefully between sessions, as the total amount of acoustic power can have large differences between bi-, di- and tri-polar mode!

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No I didn't! I always recommend BOSE stuff! :blush: :D

My side and rear putputs are none of your business! :eek:

19. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stuart, i think you are a secret agent for smr sub-contracted to richer sounds.:)

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892

absolutly correct Stuart , and i nearly spent thousands on expensive amplification , speakers, projector, scaler, DVD player and the like.
    fortunantely i walked pasted a bookshop on the way to buy it all and bought myself a good book. PHEW !!!!!
    I might have enjoyed trying out all the kit i nearly bought but saved myself the money, with the purchase of good old fashioned novel.I sugest you all do the same.

anyway got to run i'm on the last chapter ;)

21. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The discussion if cables make a difference or not can not be won... *sigh* :( The objectivists will tell the subjectivists that it's all bullocks and that cables don't make a diffference if only they are large enough to "carry the current" and the subjectivists just tell the objectivists that they believe their ears and DO hear a difference, despite what measurements "prove".

I am squarely positioned in the subjectivists camp. I hear differences in interlinks (either analog or coaxial "digital"), speaker cables, spikes, cones, power cables and power strips. Call me crazy, but I do... I think not believing in the use of good cables is very old-fashioned and will compromise the potential performance of your equipment. You can spend too much on cables though. Just make educated decisions based on LISTENING, spend about 10-15% of the total equipment price on cables and you are fine.

22. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    i have been playing about with my M&K ss150 rear speakers. from all the different setup options (direct radiating, dipole and tripole) i have found that the tripole option was best - in my setup. the speakers are about 3 feet behind me and positioned around 3-4 feet above the listening position. the direct radiating sounded a bit too in yer face, (great for multichannel music though) and i quickly grew bored of that. in the dipole operation they are great, the sound is dispersed really well, even my wife said "Ooh, i can hear that from over hear as well!". when i tried the tripole it was a great mix of the previous two, a fuller bodied sound than bipole but not too overpowering. as a side note, im not an expert, far from it, but these are my findings and i think that by sharing them others could get an idea of the differences rather than trust a salesperson, that may or may not be telling the truth! (no offence if you are a sales person;):p )
    A satisfyed av nut!