lex, and his cdwow issues, close them all or none at all, be fair.........

D

durden-soap

Lex, take a look at a few other threads they have clearly mentioned the cdwow link, why didn't you delete those threads ?

the hellboy thread is one.

do you get paid to be a moderator ?

like i said before if the links aren't meant to be used they wouldn't exist....simple.

and you think they become invalid because of this forum, don't flatter yourself....

it's really up to cdwow if they want more business.

If you hadn't noticed, yours was not the only thread to be closed. The £2.99 thread was also shut down, probably due to my post which highlighted prices using the link and led to discussion about other links. I appreciate that my actions were, in hindsight, in contradiction to the 'no link' ruling and i have no issues with the mods closing the thread. In fact i would like to openly apologise to whovever started that one as they posted some £2.99 bargains without using the links.
You on the other hand start mouthing off about how you are being picked on. This is not the first time you have openly flaunted the rules either. Someone mentioned before that you had been banned elsewhere.... it's becoming obvious why.

paranoia (noun)

1) A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.

2) Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

:devil:

Durdensoap gets a 1 week ban for questioning/insulting a moderator and for some (possibly IQ related) reason not being able to get the point about CD-WOW vouchers.

When people say "the link is there to be used",they dont realise that these links are first and foremost for employees of the company that usually sponsors it.
If people find them in the meantime,use them but STOP telling people!! :p

It wasn't even me that closed his thread! :rolleyes: :laugh:

I really do feel quite sorry for you Lex, all you do is moderate the forum as fair and correct as you can and any previous skirmishes with Durden have escalated way out of control - the bottom line is that talk of the vouchers is prohibited, end of story.

But you still endure abuse for trying to enforce the rules of the board? - I'm afraid that if that is the case then those that have these problems with the rules should go elsewhere.

It's just downright out of order.

Thanks for your words of support deanjamin :smashin:

well said deanjamin,

as the other moderator to Lex on this forum, it seems durden-soap has decided to pick on him for whatever reason, despite me having closed a fair number of threads about CD-wow.

CD-Wow discount links are not to be discussed, any links posted will be deleted, any threads discussing these links will be deleted. Also a note to future posting of special offers from CD-wow, it would be helpful if people could post the actual price on CD-Wows website and not the price got through links etc.

Greg

Seems fair enough. That said can anybody point me to alternate forums which allow discussion of cd-wow links?

All that is fine, but Spectre, why can't we question moderators? We might be commoners(i.e. not moderators), but do you consider yourselves beyond criticism or questioning?

All that is fine, but Spectre, why can't we question moderators? We might be commoners(i.e. not moderators), but do you consider yourselves beyond criticism or questioning?

Spectre is well able to answer for himself but imo.....

this:

do you get paid to be a moderator ?

and

and you think they become invalid because of this forum, don't flatter yourself....

..... goes across the line. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the mods (who do a perfectly decent job, BTW) "why was my thread deleted" or whatever, but snide insulting comments are unwarranted. As for being a "commoner", personally I don't think my standing in the forums is diminished by the fact that some members take on the task of being mods........ most people judge their fellow members on the basis of their contribution to the forum. I appreciate the job the mods do and like the vast majority of members, rely on their judgement (and humanity) to keep good order in a very busy forum.

Greg, Lex,

Maybe we could have the CD-Wow Sticky which was closed by Spectre changed to "Don't post Bargain links" (nice and big) or whatever................ it might help avoid the sort of muppetry that seems to have broken out of late.

Regards,

Sean G.

theritz said:
All that is fine, but Spectre, why can't we question moderators?

It is not that we don't want people questioning what we do, the problem is that if everybody starts arguing over every single decision made by us it becomes hugely time consuming for us to sort it all out - we are not all here 24hrs a day seven days a week, most of us work full time, and don't have the time to keep debating every rule every time someone breaks it. We would need an army of mods to keep up with it all if that were the case...

bbanduser said:
Maybe we could have the CD-Wow Sticky which was closed by Spectre changed to "Don't post Bargain links" (nice and big) or whatever................ it might help avoid the sort of muppetry that seems to have broken out of late.

A good idea. I will get on to it...

I'm still extremely new here so haven't read other posts by Durden soap which could be offensive? However the post at the top of this thread in my eyes doesn't seem to warrant a ban. Personally I didn't think it sounded subversive or offensive.

It's your forum and it's up to you how you decide to run it but may I ask why this forum seems to be against helping its members gain some fantastic bargains by using the CD wow link? Has CD wow asked you to take them down ?

Also hopefully I won't get banned for asking but why was one of my posts edited by I guess a Moderator? It seemed liked the mere mention of "DVD therapy" goes against this Forums rules or something? Because all mentions of "them" seemed to get deleted. Are we not allowed to mention "them" because they are adversaries or something?

As I said above hopefully you will not ban me for asking as this seems to be an extremely good and interesting forum!

Personally i dont see what all the fuss is about Mr Soap has obviously got himself a little wound up on this topic. I dont see the need for the threads to be posted as if you have any idea of how to use a computer you can find them. It took me 2 minutes at the weekend to find a pound off link (which i shall of course now proceed to not print)

jay75 said:
may I ask why this forum seems to be against helping its members gain some fantastic bargains by using the CD wow link? Has CD wow asked you to take them down ?

Jay, Durden has been told personally not to post links to CDWOW discounts in the past but he has decided that he is above the rules ands so continues to post them or make reference to them in what appears to be an attempt to incite an argument with the mods. The reason for not being able to post them is quite simple, CDWOW have asked us not to! Most of us should not even be using them but CDWOW have allowed this to go on for some time as i imagine it creates a huge amount of business for them. However, because a selfish select few have pushed for more (phoning ot complain that a voucher did not work when they didn't even have one or using a link and 2 vouchers in one transaction) and then openly bragged about it on here, some of the links that were available have been taken down. If people continue to make CDWOW look stupid in this way then i would not be surprised if they begin to scrutinise transactions a lot closer and put a stop to voucher deals too!
Anyone who says "the link is there to be used" is a fool as it is not there to be used by anyone other than those entitled to use it in the T&A's...which i'm betting is not many of the members on this forum?

Daywalker said:
Anyone who says "the link is there to be used" is a fool as it is not there to be used by anyone other than those entitled to use it in the T&A's...which i'm betting is not many of the members on this forum?

The T&A's are only relevant if they are enforced - surely it should not be avforums place to enforce them.

Avforums first priority should be the people who post and read here. It seems to me that Avforums is failing the people it should be looking after on this issue. If this is a sign of things to come then there is a niche in the market for a new forum run by different people with a more community centred approach in my opinion.

sapgem said:
Avforums first priority should be the people who post and read here. It seems to me that Avforums is failing the people it should be looking after on this issue.

So by your logic we should also be promoting Pirate DVDs as they benefit the people who post and read here?

sapgem said:
If this is a sign of things to come then there is a niche in the market for a new forum run by different people with a more community centred approach in my opinion.

By "community centered" you mean promoting the exploitation of DVD retailers?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I must say thats had me puzzled :confused:
If CDWow were a forum sponsor I could understand Mods/Spectre being so strict, but I don't see any evidence that they are, unless they contribute in other ways; advertisements in the various mags for instance (that I dont buy anyhow so I can't be sure ;)

Zone said:
I must say thats had me puzzled :confused:
If CDWow were a forum sponsor I could understand

What difference would it make if they were a sponsor?

Lex said:
What difference would it make if they were a sponsor?

Because that would give them some weight with forum admin :rolleyes:
I take it they do advertise in the mags then, thats why the policy has become so strict.

Zone said:
Because that would give them some weight with forum admin :rolleyes:
I take it they do advertise in the mags then, thats why the policy has become so strict.

I have absolutely no idea whether they advertise in the mags. I am absolutely certain though that Spectre runs this site as he sees fit and is under no pressure from any sponsors. The fact that he has agreed to cd-wow's request is for the reasons THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SPELT OUT A HUNDRED TIMES!

How many different ways can we have the same argument? What is so difficult here to grasp? :confused:

If CD-WOW do not want us to use the link, then they can cancel the orders which have been made using it. If they can't trace it back, then tough, they have to honour the deal.
What is confusing is why the mods of AVForums is taking their side. It's not illegal to use the link, is it? If the Terms and Conditions are not met when using the link, it is up to CD-WOW to cancel the order. But I (and I think a few others) can't see why we can't discuss it. This site is not owned by CD-WOW, is it? I have seen this attitude amongst some mods in the past which is like, disagree if you like but we don't care, or this is happening anyway, so argue if you like but nothing's gonna change. A fair argument is one where people come with open minds, put the arguments on the table and all parties are willing to accept a view if it is logical. Sadly AVForums seems to be going away from that. Which for me is sad, but maybe it was always like this and I didn't realise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom