1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Levels

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Rommel, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Rommel

Rommel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,
    I've recently moved house and set up my system (Denon 1803, AE Evos & Velodyne CHT-10) in the new living room (12'x14').
    Have set up the speakers using a sound meter (A weighted scale, slow response) to the same level. I don't expect to achieve the same dBA level with the sub as I get with the other 5 speakers (for info that's about 78 dBA). Got the level control on the back of the sub set to about 1/3 and it's not moved, just keep adjusting the output level on the amp.
    The sub is causing me some grief though as I can't get it to integrate like it did before we moved - the bass sticks out like a sore thumb.
    The sub is in a corner, in the only place it can go in the room (CHT-10 is not the smallest sub so WAF is a factor).
    Anyone got any ideas to make it stand out less?
    Thanks in advance,
    Simon.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Rommel,

Your SPL meter should be set to the C weighted scale & slow response, that's how i did mine.

Some SPL meters cannot do sub bass tones very well, and you'll have to balance the sub output between your own hearing and what the meter registers.

I hope this helps ?? Do a search, i'm sure you'll find more info on speaker calibration.

Cheers

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Even repositioning the sub by a few inches may affect the sound. Try pullingt it away from the wall as far as the wife lets you to see if that makes a difference

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Definitely try it again with C weighting, that should bring the level down significantly. Along with repositioning a little as Ian suggested.

You might have a probelem with room integration too in which case an equaliser of some form might help but they're fairly expensive and a little complex.

5. Rommel

Rommel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep tweaking...
    Simon