Levelling speaker stands - Help!

alainrj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

following delivery of my new speaker stands I have spent hours on my hands and knees trying to level the blessed things with mixed results. I have a tiled floor so the speaker stand spikes are sitting on metal discs with a small indent. I adjust the 4 spikes of each stand but can't seem to achieve audio nirvana where the stand is solidly stable and does not wobble.

I don't have a spirit level but maybe for the sake of my sanity I should get one.

The stands are 80% filled to stop resonance and the main stand column no longer rings.

Does anyone have any tips or techniques for levelling speaker stands so they end up stable and flat?

Level the stand with the speaker OFF the stand. Less chance of a nasty accident.

You can buy a 2-way bubble level for virtually nothing at the local hardware or building supply or tool shop.

2 way spirit level - Google Search

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks. Have bought a 3-way spirit level to help though I suspect it will be several hours before the stands are stable and flat.

Easiest way to level 4 points....is to use THREE.

Back off one of the rear corners completely. Use the front two to get left-right level, use the one rear to get the forward-aft level. Now bring that 4th one in to just touch without lifting any of the others. Done.

Honestly, I wish speaker makers would use five or three. If they fitted the plinths with two front, two rear corners and one centre of rear, it would be so simple to do the 3-point leveling and then bring the two rear corners in to touch down. I work in a machine shop and very heavy machinery is often fitted with this type of leveling. It makes short work of the process.

Thanks Ken. I'll let you know how I got on

Using your heavy machinery method Ken to level my speaker stands, worked a treat. Thanks once again - a simple but effective method.

Now to step 2. Because my listening position is a little higher then the speaker tweeters I will experiment with tilting the stands upwards by adjusting the front spikes little by little until I get the sweet spot.

Using your heavy machinery method Ken to level my speaker stands, worked a treat. Thanks once again - a simple but effective method.

Now to step 2. Because my listening position is a little higher then the speaker tweeters I will experiment with tilting the stands upwards by adjusting the front spikes little by little until I get the sweet spot.

I'd probalby leave them level and do that sort of adjustment from the base plate of the stand. You could get a foam wedge as used in small mixing desk type setups or use small blobs of blu-tac under the back and larger ones at the front, or possibly some gel pads, cut squash balls....

Thought I would update you all on how I'm getting on with my attempts at getting a good sound from my new speakers and stands.

I have a tiled floor at home and although the spikes that came with the stands are of good quality and stood on metal discs the sound was lifeless and a little tinny.
I fitted a set of Soundcare superspikes to the base of my loudspeaker stands.

Wow what a difference! I could immediately hear improvements to the sound in all areas. More detail, more separation, deeper and better controlled bass and a much more lifelike sound.

Good to know. I don't know what Soundcare Superspikes are, so if you could share a link that would be appreciated.

No distribution of the product in the US. Oh well.

I don't really need them, my speakers are on carpeting. I might like some miniature version of them for my Pro-ject RPM1 turntable though. It's three spike "legs" sit on a black glass shelf. For now I'm using the spike disks that came with my KEF R500 speakers, much better than the cheap steel disks with a dimple that Pro-ject sent with the unit.

The link to a website at the end of that review is suspicious. If there were any US distributors active, they should be listed on the manufacturer's website, yet that clearly states "No Distributor, Distributor Wanted."

I don't really care all that much, I just know the Soundcare company is missing out on perhaps the largest market they could imagine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom