1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Level setting - how do we know if too much/low ???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My sub's been set up for quite a while now, with mode, phase, rollover, etc, controls set. The only thing is, how do I know if I have it's volume set correctly so the effect is "as the film director wants it." I mean, too low and you won't feel the shakes at the correct parts of the film, too high and you'll feel shakes at moments when you're not supposed to feel them, etc. I have used an SPL, made sure the level is set t 75-85 dB as some online documentation advised (my speakers are set to 75 dB), but I'm not sure if that's the correct way.

Can someone please suggest to me some test scenes from DVD's? eg, "at this moment in this film, you should feel this, if you don't feel it then your sub is set too low. For this other clip, you shouldn't feel anything otherwise your sub is se too high. etc".

The reason I ask this is because I'm forever tweaking around with the level control and can never be sure I got it right. At times I think there should be some tummy-shaking, I don't feel anything and I'm unsure if the film is intended that way. At other times I feel vibrations at moments which could be inappropriate, again leaving me unsure.

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try setting it up initially using music DVDs or CDs as you may have a better idea of what the bassy bits should sound like. If the bassy bits in a music DVD sound right the rest should follow.

Samples to pound you in the chest include the battle scene from Master & Commander, inside the whale and tapping the fishtank in Nemo, The pipes rattling in The Haunting, Lady Marmalade and the storm scene in Moulin Rouge, the nightclub scene at the beginning of Blade, the opening sequuence from Toy Story 2 and the stun gun being fired in Minority Report which is my favourite tester.

There will be many other scenes from different films and a search for this subject in the DVD Talk forum will bring up quite a few previous threads on the same subject.