Letting regulations.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Saggy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Saggy

Saggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi all can anybody help me out, my father in law has a flat that he wants to let out to students etc, its a four bedroom flat with living room and kitchen. Does anybody know what regulations are in place that we need to conform to? ie smoke alarms, fire doors etc etc. :confused:

regards

Martin

2. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Gas safety certificate is required for all Let property. I think the rules are tighter for student Lets. Get in touch with the accomodation office at your local Uni and ask them for advice they can add the property to there database at the same time.

3. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    It may be worth him using a letting agency if he has never done this before.
    There will be a fee, but they will take the hassle out of it, and ensure the flat conforms to all relevent regulations.
    When he has been through the learning curve, he could then try going it alone.

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    i think the rules differ is he is letting out rooms individually, or letting out the whole house as a whole

5. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

Thats what one of the guys done that I used to work with- I think they helped him a wee bit and then gave him a contact that sorted hime out. I dont know where they passed him too but he got all the neccessary advice by starting with the Uni. Good Luck!!

6. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Visit www.landlordzone.co.uk and look through the website and forums for information. Also you can ask questions in the forum if you still need help.

HMO regulations are changing on April 1st I think so check with your council if your property is classed as a HMO and they'll advise on what changes need to be made.