Letterhead as pdf

bogey

Ex Member
Reaction score
Guys, is there a way to have a pdf version of a letterhead that you can use everytime you want to send a letter via e-mail ? At the moment we scan them in but they don't look very good.

Is it a case of making one in photoshop ?

PDF's become attachments in emails and not normally visible unless you click/open it. So as a header it is not the way to do it.

Easiest way is to create an image file which you can put into a signature or set up as a named stationery template (assuming Outlook is being used). The email should be set to send HTML so that the image will show "in line" in the email as if it was a header.

Guys, is there a way to have a pdf version of a letterhead that you can use everytime you want to send a letter via e-mail ? At the moment we scan them in but they don't look very good.

Is it a case of making one in photoshop ?

Rather than what Mr Incredible describes do you want to attach a PDF of your letter - it you want to type your letter in word, and generate a PDF with the headers etc from your normal paper work included.

Two easy ways to do this.

1) Create a new letter template in Word with your logo's etc and save directly in PDF format.

2) Use a PDF printer - so instead of printing normally you select a PDF printer, and it will create a PDF file. Better PDF printers will let you select different types of 'paper'.

1) Create a new letter template in Word with your logo's etc and save directly in PDF format.

Word 2010 has Save as PDF built-in and you can download Save as PDF for Word 2007. Not sure about 2003 though?

On that subject, does anybody know the compliancy specs the Word 2010 built-in one adheres to (or not). Specifically we need Annex F compliance and are planning our 2010 roll-out for early next year, so it would be nice if we could do away with the PDF printer driver we're using.

Rather than what Mr Incredible describes do you want to attach a PDF of your letter - it you want to type your letter in word, and generate a PDF with the headers etc from your normal paper work included.

Two easy ways to do this.

2) Use a PDF printer - so instead of printing normally you select a PDF printer, and it will create a PDF file. Better PDF printers will let you select different types of 'paper'.

I would advise against sender letters in PDFs as an attachment because most mail packages, Outlook included, do not index PDF attachments and therefore will not show up on a search. PDF letters can be OK for legal stuff where the output has to be known down to the last comma and line end, but for general emails my personal advice is not to use PDF's for the content.

I would advise against sender letters in PDFs as an attachment because most mail packages, Outlook included, do not index PDF attachments and therefore will not show up on a search.

X1 FTW!

Instant text search within all attachments :thumbsup:

And when you search for text within the PDF from Outlook?

I would advise against sender letters in PDFs as an attachment because most mail packages, Outlook included, do not index PDF attachments and therefore will not show up on a search. PDF letters can be OK for legal stuff where the output has to be known down to the last comma and line end, but for general emails my personal advice is not to use PDF's for the content.

But the OP is specifically asking about sending a letter.

He asked about using a letter head in an email. Whether one calls it a letter or not is moot considering it's going by email. :thumbsup:

That said, it would help if the OP jumped in and gave some response!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the letter is to be a personalised mail merge to email, then the only way to go is to use GasDad's suggestion of a Word template.

In the final analysis, whatever you do you are going to have to get your current letterhead into electronic form. If your current scanned version is pants, then depending on what the artwork is, you may have to create the logo from scratch within a graphics package.

I would question the advisability of doing it at all.

Some email systems don't display inline pictures; many others, including Outlook, may question the user to download the picture, treat it as spam, or prevent it altogether.

The OP cannot rely on a recipient opening his email and being presented with a nicely laid-out message under a letterhead logo. The irritation factor may outweigh any benefit.

I suggest he devises a letterhead consisting entirely of fancy fonts. That way, at worst it will display as Courier text.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom