• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Letterboxing More Severe On One 46" TV Than Another

kmb63

Standard Member
I have a Samsung 46" widescreen TV. My parents have a Sony Bravia 46" widescreen TV. Whenever I watch the same disc on both TV's, it always appears more severely letterboxed on my parents' system than on mine, and I'm curious what causes this? Is it their TV or their player? There are some movies that should exactly fill a standard 16:9 TV screen - and on my Samsung they do. But on my parents' system they are letterboxed. Films that appear letterboxed on my system always appear more severely letterboxed on theirs, etc. As far as I can tell, the only settings related to aspect ratio on their TV are set correctly for a 16:9 widescreen TV, in other words, no zoom, wide zoom, etc. Any ideas why this difference exists and what the culprit could be - TV or DVD player? Thanks!

skk3

Do your parents use wide or smart modes? (Held in the TV menu)

kmb63

Standard Member
Make sure both DVD players are set to 16:9 as most are not.

I'll check my parents' DVD player settings tonight. Both of my players (DVD and BD) are set correctly for widescreen.

Do your parents use wide or smart modes? (Held in the TV menu)

No wide or smart modes. I mentioned this in my original post, although they're called zoom and wide zoom, etc. on my parents' TV. The TV is set for default 16:9. I'm betting it is the DVD player but will have to see. They have one of those Sony home-theater-in-a-box deals, so I'm not too familiar with what capabilities or features the DVD player has.

kmb63

Standard Member
Just a followup...it was indeed my parents' DVD player settings. They had never adjusted them when they upgraded from a 4:3 TV to a 16:9 TV. All is perfect now. Thanks for the help!

skk3

Glad it's all sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom