Letter to Sony about GXD500 including reply

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alarustic, Jan 26, 2005.

1. alarustic

alarustic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's my letter to Sony:

"20 January 2005

Sony UK

Dear Sirs

SONY RDR-GXD500 DVD RECORDER
    SOFTWARE VERSION v1.00.01

I recently purchased the above unit. What attracted me to it was the fact that it had an integrated digital tuner. I am very happy with its performance generally but wonder if you may care to consider an enhancement.

Setting the timer via the EPG is simple. However, there is no option to insert a buffer before or after the timer recording. This means that many of the programmes I record (unfortunately in excess of 80%) miss the last 60 seconds or so. As a result, I have to set items to record manually which defeats the purpose of the onboard EPG.

During a timer recording, I can select "Extend Rec" if I happen to be home when the recording is made but it is not possible to do this during programming. Would it be possible to add this facility? It could be supplied to existing owners via a software download.

I do hope you will give favourable consideration to this suggestion and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Thank you for your assistance."

I received a reply this morning, here it is:

[​IMG]

Of course adding a 1 or 2 minute buffer has nothing to do with the ins and outs of the EPG. What your thoughts, please?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I agree with Sony that it isn’t their issue if the EPG and programme times are not quite accurate.

I agree with you that the capability to add a buffer, to be used on all EPG programmes, would be useful. I don’t have the GXD500; I do have a Sony Freeview box (VTX-D800U) – with it, if you set a timer using the EPG “As a precaution the receiver will extend the stop time you set by 5 minutes when recording.” I’m a bit surprised the GDX500 isn’t the same.

I also agree with Sony that as they didn’t design the system with this “buffer” feature, that adding it as a firmware update would be difficult.

Mark

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I don't agree with Sony - since Thomson recently provided such a software update to their DHD4000 recently. An 'auto-padding' option in the menu now means that the machine automatically adds a user-definable extra time to the programme start and end times coming from the EPG data.

I would say it can be done...

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I don't agree with Sony either - adding a buffer time is easy to do. It's makes the EPG recording useless without it.