Letter to Newspaper!

Ian Thompson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Article from 76 year old says I am ready to give up on this once proud country!
I know my cousin would have left this country if he had been younger and I would have if I had known what has happened since early 2020 if I had, had the money to do that. It’s sad to read this from this elderly gentleman and he lost a number of close relatives fighting for this country during the second world war.

I know my cousin would have left this country if he had been younger and I would have if I had known what has happened since early 2020 if I had, had the money to do that. It’s sad to read this from this elderly gentleman and he lost a number of close relatives fighting for this country during the second world war.
Thanks to Brexit, war heros have a lot less options to retire abroad.

Behind a paywall.

Behind a paywall.
"At the age of 76 I am in serious danger of finally giving up on my country. Seventy-six years ago, when I was five weeks old, my father and six of his brave comrades were shot down over Germany in their Lancaster bomber, and all perished in defence of our country. My father and his crew knew that their country was worth fighting for, and hoped that their ultimate sacrifice was not in vain. If he could know today what our proud country has been reduced to, he would turn in his grave.

Our prime minister has now plumbed the lowest depth of his honour. Having been forced to abandon his shameful attempt to trash the Standards Committee, not to mention the integrity of the Standards commissioner, he did not even have the courage to come to the house to apologise for his behaviour. Many of his own backbenchers have been mortified by his behaviour, which is more than can be said for his cabinet, many of whom have spent the day toadying around, clearly afraid of telling the king that his clothes have disappeared.

Shame on him and shame on his disgraceful cabinet. How on earth have the ordinary people of this country allowed him to keep getting away with his corruption? He and his cabinet of chancers have brought disgrace and dishonour to our once-proud country."

To answer his question: How on earth have the ordinary people of this country allowed him to keep getting away with his corruption?

The media.

Although I left the UK myself 25 years ago, it wasn't out of disgust. There is nothing inherently wrong with "Britain". The extremists currently in charge of government are only able to act like they do because they face no consequences. The one time in recent memory the media decided to call Boris out he immediately had to do a U-turn. If the media did that more then Boris would have to behave more. That is the equation.

Last edited:
The extremists currently in charge of government are only able to act like they do because they face no consequences. The one time in recent memory the media decided to call Boris out he immediately had to do a U-turn. If the media did that more then Boris would have to behave more. That is the equation.

Boris has actually made 39 u-turns. Blaming the media is too simple, especially as that blame is often directed at parts of the media that are newsgatherers not political pressure groups. Far more can be achieved if everybody contacted their own MPs and demanded they act.

"Despite a 79-seat working majority, the PM has repeatedly rowed back in the face of pressure from his own MPs and the public."

To answer his question: How on earth have the ordinary people of this country allowed him to keep getting away with his corruption?

The media.

Although I left the UK myself 25 years ago, it wasn't out of disgust. There is nothing inherently wrong with "Britain". The extremists currently in charge of government are only able to act like they do because they face no consequences. The one time in recent memory the media decided to call Boris out he immediately had to do a U-turn. If the media did that more then Boris would have to behave more. That is the equation.

Johnson is in the business of "reforming" media channels that might dare to criticise him, all while installing a longstanding enemy of media plurality as head of Ofcom.

We never had a balanced media in this country. Now we're being dragged toward a situation in which all media must speak with the government's voice.

The normal rules - the rules you may remember from your time here - no longer apply.

One thing I do remember changing was BBC news. On visits back home I would watch it again after a few years of never seeing it, and each time it seemed to have become even more dumbed down. It ended up sounding like John Craven's Newsround. I dread to think what it's like now.

One thing I do remember changing was BBC news. On visits back home I would watch it again after a few years of never seeing it, and each time it seemed to have become even more dumbed down. It ended up sounding like John Craven's Newsround. I dread to think what it's like now.

Jackanory. :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom