Letsbuyit LG offer

jbaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has aready been mentioned...

Letsbuyit.com have an LG MZ42PZ14 plasma for £2,999. They say it is reduced from £5,000.

Jono

Same price at comet plus they are doing 2 years inteest free. Or try QED-UK they have it at £2632.

Rob

Comet and QED-UK include the AV-tuner, speaker, and desktop stand, these are extra at RS. It all depends if you need these, if not then RS is your best bet.

Rob

Originally posted by Mr Rob T
Same price at comet plus they are doing 2 years inteest free. Or try QED-UK they have it at £2632.

Rob

I can't see the 0% at comet online, is it instore only?

Comet are doing some sort of weird deal where you pay interest over two years, but as long as you have settled the account after the two years they will refund the interest.

Never seen it done like that before. The salesman wouldn't tell me how much the monthly payments were - he said that he would have to ring up the sale into the computer to see what the figures came out like. Sounds like bulls**t to me !

They are doing the same screen for the same price in Currys with paynothing for 12 months, then either settle the balance or go onto 3 years payment plan with interest.

Yesterday the currys guy said that if I bought the screen right away he would 'do me a deal'. I didn't go for it, but on the way out I saw a poster saying 10% off all tv packages until december 2nd.

I'm trying to decide if I should go down there at lunchtime and agree to sign on the dotted line if they give me £300 off the £3000 asking price.

I just can't decide !! Ahhhh !!

I saw this poster in the Currys at Cribbs Causeway in Bristol - I couldn;t say if they're doing it nationwide though.

Originally posted by dfield2000
Comet are doing some sort of weird deal where you pay interest over two years, but as long as you have settled the account after the two years they will refund the interest.

Never seen it done like that before. The salesman wouldn't tell me how much the monthly payments were - he said that he would have to ring up the sale into the computer to see what the figures came out like. Sounds like bulls**t to me !

I've had a look at the LG on comets website and it has some details about the interest free thing over 2 years. It works pretty much like the salesman said, you make monthly repayments as if you were on a 54 month credit deal at 29.9% APR (!!!!) but providing you repay the full amount with 24 months you have your interest refunded.

You pay a 10% deposit and the monthly payments are £85.98. If I have done my maths correctly then there is about 42 quids worth of interest in each repayment, so if you pay up after month 23 you would have paid only £989 of the initial amount of 2699 meaning that you would then have to pay a further £1710 and have the interest of £966 refunded. Although it would make more sense if you didn't actually get the interest refunded and they just took it off of the total owed so you made a final payment of 721.46 at month 23.

Anyone follow that? :)

i'm sure these "deals" have been criticised by the OFT in the past - basically if you're late or miss a repayment you forfeit the right to have the interest refunded so the deal works out as being extremely expensive!

Does anyone know of an internet trader who sells plasmas at the usual 'lower than the high street' prices but also does interest free credit ? I'm pretty sure that any plasma that's for sale in currys/comet/dixons can be beaten on the web but is the interest free bit that does it for me.

Is it just me, or have currys and dixons got no plasmas on their web sites ?

They don't. I always thought it strange that the sell them instore but don't have them on the web. Comet have a few on their website including the LG (but no samsung).

I called in my local curry's tonight while out shopping.

They had the LG on display at £2999 and was advertising 10% off wide screen TV packages. I asked the sales assistant if 10% was off the LG. I was told that I had to buy a Video or DVD player with it to get 10% off.

I then asked if they had them in stock, he went to check. On his return he informed me they would not have any stock for 6 weeks. Well I said I would not bother then. A 6 weeks curry's delivery is at least 10 weeks.

Rob

Comet have the LG in stock and will deliver within 2-3 days. I actually tried to order one on Thursday, to be delivered on Monday morning, but got knocked back for the credit because they couldn't find my address on their system! (My credit record is actually very good, honest!).

Anyway, I'm now having second thoughts. Only the Samsung and the LG are affordable to me at the moment, but I'm not overly impressed by either and think in a year's time there will be a lot better available for less cash. Until then I may just make do with a 32" CRT for £850 and punt it when I can get a 42" panny with stand and tuner for £2500 :)

But I'm still not sure ... What's the general opinion of the Samsung vs LG. I actually preferred the aesthetics and picture quality of the LG, but is the Samsung a technically superior product? Is a single DVI input at the screen (sammy) preferrable to the LG's multiple interfaces?

Stop Press: £2573.87 for LG + stand + tuner from www.qed-uk.com. Available for immediate dispatch. ****, where's me credit card?!

Well I took my wife to have a look at the LG and Samsung at another local curry's. Both were fed with the same DVD source, we both preferred the LG picture, but to be honest there was very little in them. The LG also has the AV board fitted

We went for a coffee to have a chat about it. My wife decided that she would quite like one. The conditions were it must have an analog source as she would hate to be without telextext!!! and until we have an extension on our front room we cannot wall mount (due to shape and layout) so we need the LG stand. So either the Sam or LG would have met our needs.

As I said we had a slight preference for the LG. We went back to negotiate (with curry's.. what's got into me??). To cut a long story short:
10% off only if we bought a DVD and Video with it, although the manager may just agree to the Plasma and a DVD if the DVD player was over £200.
The LG had a 6-week waiting list
The Samsung 7 or 8 weeks

Got home ordered the LG from QED, it is been delivered on Thursday, could have had it Wednesday but there is no one home
:D :D

Will let you know how it performs when it arrives

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom