1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets give what she deserves...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by novice2, Jan 20, 2005.

1. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

This may bve the wrong forum and I apologise in advance if it is (it would be helpful if you could point me towards the correct forum). My question is this, I have a £1,000 to spend to improve my system and get the best out of the TH37PE30 I have just purchased. My current system is:

TH37PE30
    SKY+ RGB > Panny and optical to the amp
    Yamaha HTR430RDS Amp
    DMRE55 dvd recorder scart > Panny (not sure I care that much about recording quality) and RGB to Sky+
    Toshiba 220e DVD player > component to the panny and coaxial to the amp (this is my playback machine as i figured it would be better than the DMRE55
    ELAC cinema 1 sub+sat system (the room size and more importantly the wife dictates I can only have a sub sat system)

Any advice as to the areas that need the most imporving would be most gratefully received.

Thank you :smashin:

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Your system seems to all be at a level where upgrading one component will leave you wanting to upgrade the rest! I'm looking specifically at DVD, amp and speakers here. I think DVD first because it will give you the most obviously satisfying improvement to get a well specified progressive scan player. I'm thinking Arcam DV78 - £700 and you'll find you tend to get a decent power lead or interconnect thrown in by most dealers.

Thing is you will then quickly want to up the amp and speakers to match the video quality and get the best from the Arcams fantastic audio performance! Or vice versa, you may want to do the amp and speakers (or just the speakers for now and some decent cable) but you will find that the trusty tosh is very quickly out of its league.

My advice is budget for now, and for what you plan to do in the future. If you will be able to throw another grand at it in 6 months time then go for the Arcam (you really will be amazed at the improvement) save the remaining then get yourself a powerhouse amp and speaker package in the summer. If this £1k is the max, then consider 2nd hand for some of the bits (speakers are great to buy 2nd hand - already run in and technology doesn't quite move the same as it does with amps and DVDs)

3. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam

Good advice. (I may have to spend £2,000 while telling the missus i spent a grand). :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn it.....I saw the website...I saw the review....I read the opinions.....about to be £500 poorer......

Any ides on an amp and sub sat system to do it justice.....Also does anyone know who does home cinema installations and how much they cost (bearing in mind my budget system... :smoke:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    where are you i know of loads, some good some not so good

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Oh yeah forgot DV88+. Tasty and some money saved.

Deffo match it with Arcam AVR250 (AVR300 is more power but not necessary for sub sat system, same processing skills). Speaker choice is the most difficult as there are a million and one varieties and you tend to find different suppliers will stock different models based on what they like. Gallos are popular but quite out of budget, Infinity Oreus or KEF eggs have good rep, Tannoys new EFX 5.1 are great budget numbers. Mordaunt Short Premiere system is very good.

Installation depends on location. On these forums Joe (TMF Solutions) is based in Edinburgh, MAW Cobham Surrey, we're in west Kent but mainly cover London and kent, PJ Hifi are in guildford. Or go through the CEDIA website for a directory of members (being a member doesn't necessarily mean they're gauranteed to be any good - but they usually are).

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TO add to that Piers is in Telford covers Midlands, I am in South Wales (although not pro anymore). there are more... KHCC (AV-sales ) also in KENT

9. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in SE London

Live in a small Victorian ground floor flat (which cost me more that the trade debt of a large African Country - not that i'm bitter opr anything!). I hhave to fitt all of this kit into a small lounge (hiding the componenets in the original built in cupboard at the mo!). I want to upgrade and figure with all of these factors, a professional installer is the way to go.

10. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It available in silver aswell at his price?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    In that case i would contact MAW, Liam, and Andrew Collie at AV-sales. However as you have the kit and are after install only you may be loking at a few £££

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I guess you have to ask them that........

13. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice, much a appreciated....

Its not a cheap, but how I love it.

14. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam, MAW

Any ideas on cost for installation?

:cool: