1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

let me get this right. (x box)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by clancol, Jan 10, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok iv'e got- getting a hs10 projecter and i fancy getting an xbox.
    so obviosly i want the best picture i can get. So i can get it modded at my local store and they will put on some sofware that lets me switch between pal-ntsc. It will also give me the options to backup games and things on the hd. Is this correct.
    The store quoted about £50 for the mod and £10 for the software.

He mentioned that i would have problems on XBlive and that no ,matter what chip i got microsoft would eventualy combat that chip with the codes that are in the games or through the live connection.
    Is this Correct?

I mentioned to him about the switch but he said that it would only be a few monthes before MS sorted that one out through XBlive.

What mode will PGR2 NFSU and SC2 work on i.e 480p
    These are tha games i want first.

What would i be able to do if i got a us Xbox. Would it work on live. would i have to get it modded or could i just use the software. would it play pal games?

Dc

Should i Get an xbox with live and a componat cable and stick with 425i

or should i get it modded play 720p(hopefully) and not bother with live.

2. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    hi m8, i have a modded xbit xbox and i play online . the way round it is not to use live. use a proggy called x-link messenger and bo-xlink you can play online this way for free and if you log in to xleague you can sign up for ladders and tournaments. ive got this running at moment and ping and lag arent a problem. so at least you dont have to worry about the live side of things. hope this helps

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    If you get the executer chip,you can switch it off when going on live and atm MS have no way of stopping that,however there are rumours that in the future they will be able to detect if you are running a pal xbox in ntsc mode and so have modded your box.

Not sure what games work in what mode,sorry:confused:

If you get a US xbox you wont need to run any software,the options for the higher resolutions will already be there and you should be able to connect to xboxlive no problem.Some games(I think all Ubisoft games for example)will play on Pal or ntsc but unless you get the box moded,you will have problems playing some pal games.

o,and I wouldnt bother paying 10 quid for that software to change it to ntsc either,its easy to get,and if you do have any problems just make a post
    ;)

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so my best bet would be to buy an us xbox and buy us ntsc games that way i can enjoy hidef and xbox live.
    With no modifications.
    What Power converter will i need?
    Where can i get the games?
    Can i run hidef on xbox live?

dc

5. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as power convertors go, maplin have some which vary in price between £30 and £50, depending upon what sort of power output you want. Take a look here

Lik-sang sell a wide range of extras for all the consoles, including US games. I know there are other suppliers based here in the uk, but I can't remember the names.

Tony

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  7. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think i will just go with a modded pal box. if i get XBlive, i will just see how it goes with the switch. But my main reason of purchase will be single player games and 480p and iv'e never really enjoyed multi player games anyway. altho i think PGR" sounds ace.

Just one more question if i were to get a bigger hard drive for backing up my games how many would i get on a 80gig. and do they run as normal. also with the mod disabled for xblive could i still play my hard drive games

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many on an 80gb HDD? Depends on the games/size. They vary between 300mb & 5gb (maybe bigger).

No, you need the original game disc for Xbox live gaming.

I haven't done much "live" gaming yet but a modded xbox with a little care is fine :smashin:

9. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Kramer
    do you have a bigger hd?
    Do you need it.
    what do you mean by a little care?
    By the way thanks for all your help regarding projecters. i
    have my first projecter coming on tuesday. i went for a hs10 from Rwhyte. can't wait
    thx
    dc

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The 'average' size of an Xbox game is 2.5GB. never seen one yet over 4.5GB. On an 80GB drive I reckon you will get about 30 games.

Do you need a bigger HDD? Well that is totally down to you. If you play lots of games and don't want to use the game disc then I guess yes, as you will be lucky to get 2 games on the standard 8/10GB HDD.

A little care? Always ensure the chip is turned off when booting to play Live (it's easy to forget, especially if you do not have any visible indication). A good routine to get into is to remove the RJ45 cable so no chance of it going on live, when playing in modded mode. If playing a 'backup' game make sure you do not activate any of the Live features like content download etc.

I would say if you play Live with a modded box (chip off) then expect to have your box banned at some time. Accidents happen. Also, there is this rumour that M$ are gonna be applying a patch to 'hunt' out modded PAL boxes that are set to NTSC output. No idea how but there are those who say they are.

I would also say that if you do use a modded box to play Live at the very least have your BIOS configured in such a way that all the non-original files (and I mean all - inc dashboard, boot ini file, backup disc game saves, etc) are contained on the F: drive which is not visible when the chip is off.

HTH

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem ;) Best of luck with it :smashin:

Messiah has answered everything else.

:smoke: