Let Him Go Movie Review & Comments

Has ANYONE seen ANY marketing for 'Let Him Go'?
TV adverts? Newspaper adverts?
Any of the stars (Diane Lane, Kevin Costner etc) on TV shows (even virtually)?
Seems to me that the film distributors have just dropped it... due to the terrible timing of the release date?!

No, if it weren't for these very forums, I'd have missed it entirely, so I'm trying to return the love by giving it some coverage here.

I agree that it's appalling considering how good this film is but, then again, it does kind of fall into that Wind River / Hell and Hill Water category of films which aren't mainstream / superhero / blockbuster etc. so I'm not all that surprised they're not marketing it.

Fingers crossed it'll slow burn over Christmas as a popular rental, although the £5.99 fee seems ridiculously cheap for a new release.

Cheers Cas, fair to say I think this one appears to have raised a little excitement....

Nice one Cas , was not even aware of this one and will give it a watch over the weekend. Big fan of the last few years of Costner under the radar films. Open Range shot up my list of favourites in the Western genre so looking forward to giving this a watch .

Nice one Cas , was not even aware of this one and will give it a watch over the weekend. Big fan of the last few years of Costner under the radar films. Open Range shot up my list of favourites in the Western genre so looking forward to giving this a watch .

Open Range is in the top 10 Westerns of all time for me. Astounding film.

Great movie and agree with the Unforgiven comparison.
Kevin Costner is a true classic movie star. Yes, he made some bad movies, but look at how many great ones he’s done.
Yellowstone is a superb series. I’m looking forward to season 4!
Thanks for the review, Cas.

The sad fact is... I honestly think Diane Lane is cursed. She never gets a break in the UK :0

Thanks Cas!

I've not seen anything but really good reviews for it. 5 star reviews all the way.

Best film of 2020!!! - and Diane Lane is the best performance of 2020 too.

2/5 on empire

Costner is excellent in Yellowstone modern Western series. So will give this a byte.
Cheers, Cas.
I'm not sure if I will be watching this film just yet but his Yellowstone series is about the standard role Costner plays nowadays, which is being a patriarchal alpha male with a sociological darker side.
Kevin also likes to be the all American patriot lamenting all that is environmentally and culturally lost in the U.S. wilderness today, I wonder if that political narrative was sneaked into this movie too.

Thanks, Cas! Excellent review for an excellent movie :)

I'm not sure if I will be watching this film just yet but his Yellowstone series is about the standard role Costner plays nowadays, which is being a patriarchal alpha male with a sociological darker side.
Kevin also likes to be the all American patriot <b>lamenting all that is environmentally and culturally lost </b>in the U.S. wilderness today, I wonder if that political narrative was sneaked into this movie too.
To each his own, of course but I don't see anything wrong with that...

Another one for the must-watch list. And another thumbs up for Yellowstone - it's one of the few TV series that I immediately wanted to watch over again when I got to the end (well, the 'end' until season 4).
Oh yes. Yellowstone is, in my opinion, a breath of fresh air among the current crop of all these PC series nowadays (some taking the erm, "correctness" to the extreme...).

What's Yellowstone on? Any of the streaming platforms?

I agree that it's appalling considering how good this film is but, then again, it does kind of fall into that Wind River / Hell and Hill Water category of films which aren't mainstream / superhero / blockbuster etc. so I'm not all that surprised they're not marketing it.

Which are both Taylor Sheridan movies who writes/produces Yellowstone, starring Kevin Costner ... is this a new Kevin Bacon game?

What's Yellowstone on? Any of the streaming platforms?

You can buy season 1 in HD for £14.99 on iTunes, or import on Region A Blu-ray.

Season 2 may be at least partly available on the Channel 5 app.

It was originally aired on the Paramount Network, and now airs on Peacock (Season 3 was this year).

I'm guessing they figured the show was so good, they don't want anybody outside of Montana to see it.

Let Him Go? Let Him Go!
With a 9 I'll watch it all today
Let Him Go? Let Him Go!
Digging what Cas had to say
Just five pounds
Not much to pay
Kevin Costner's aged
But old never bothered me anyway
Yep, just sang it to my wife..true story:smashin:

Last edited:
Watched this again last night on Amazon Prime... it holds up so well to repeat viewings too.
It's beautifully shot and the performances by everyone (especially Diane Lane) are phenomenal.

No, if it weren't for these very forums, I'd have missed it entirely, so I'm trying to return the love by giving it some coverage here.

Fingers crossed it'll slow burn over Christmas as a popular rental, although the £5.99 fee seems ridiculously cheap for a new release.
Aww man. Wind River is a fine, fine film.

I'm really quite sure that Universal have not informed anyone that this film is actually available on Amazon. Weird.

Saw this in cinema - a solid 7/10 from me, hadnt seen the trailer, but like the main cast , so didnt even know it was set in the era it was. Nice build up to the final 3rd. Worth seeing as a trip to cinerma if open or on prime (£6 i think...)

Universal are releasing this stateside February 2nd on Blu-ray ; no 4K though and sounds like it’s worthy.

Another GREAT review!

Watched this last night glad I did. Excellent performances by Costner, Lane and the supporting actors/actresses. Not for everyone especially those who want fast pace and action in a lot of scenes.

For those with wide varied film tastes who can appreciate different kinds of films the slow burn character building is brilliant. It just builds up and up until the dramatic final climax.

The cinematography is also excellent for the period the film is set in. Let Him Go definitely deserves to win a Oscar or two, one of the best films of 2020.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom