Let Him Go Movie Review & Comments

Great movie watched it last night with the Mrs a solid 8/10 from us :)

i still fancy diane lane after having a crush in the youth after seeing her in the outsiders... i like them as a combo after seeing them in the original man of steel which i still think is the best movie outside the original...i want to see this now Cas has put his stamp of approval on it...i must admit after seeing the trailer i thought it might be a run of the mill looking film. thanks for the review Cas

sorry what platforms can i stream this on?

edit: i see amazon prime rental...for a decent movie dont mind paying a decent price

Last edited:
i still fancy diane lane after having a crush in the youth after seeing her in the outsiders... i like them as a combo after seeing them in the original man of steel which i still think is the best movie outside the original...i want to see this now Cas has put his stamp of approval on it...i must admit after seeing the trailer i thought it might be a run of the mill looking film. thanks for the review Cas

sorry what platforms can i stream this on?

edit: i see amazon prime rental...for a decent movie dont mind paying a decent price

Yeah, I think a £5.99 tag on an Amazon rental is almost criminally good for this. I'm really surprised.

But I'm more surprised that I can't find it for rent anywhere else, yet it's not advertised as an Amazon exclusive nor even advertised at all. Ah well.

Enjoy mate, thanks for the comment.

So after watching Let Him Go I watched the trailer for it. Such a badly edited trailer, it shows most of the major parts of the film.

Glad I didn't watch the trailer beforehand. Hate it when they show you too much of the movie. It always ruins it a bit for me personally.

i still fancy diane lane after having a crush in the youth after seeing her in the outsiders... i like them as a combo after seeing them in the original man of steel which i still think is the best movie outside the original

Yes, Diane Lane has been 'made to look older in this film - much like she was in the Superman films (Man of Steel, BvS etc). She actually looks FAR better in real life still than she does in these films where the old age make-up has been added to make her more 'grandma-ish'.

Here's a recent interview re 'Justice League' - she is still hot (and a GREAT actress):
Diane Lane: I Just Saw ‘Justice League’ And I’m Really Impressed | TODAY - YouTube

Yeah, I think a £5.99 tag on an Amazon rental is almost criminally good for this. I'm really surprised.
But I'm more surprised that I can't find it for rent anywhere else, yet it's not advertised as an Amazon exclusive nor even advertised at all. Ah well.

Just to update. Despite very impressive reviews and Oscar buzz for Diane Lane... in the UK over this past weekend... 'LET HIM GO' made a truly DIRE... £12,901 at UK cinemas. It was even beaten by a low profile re-release of 'LOVE ACTUALLY'. It is BY FAR the worst UK opening of Kevin Costner's career. Difficult to see where it stands for Diane Lane as very few of her films (where she is the leading lady) get any release in the UK anyway. Such a shame... and a complete mess made by Universal UK.

Just to update. Despite very impressive reviews and Oscar buzz for Diane Lane... in the UK over this past weekend... 'LET HIM GO' made a truly DIRE... £12,901 at UK cinemas. It was even beaten by a low profile re-release of 'LOVE ACTUALLY'. It is BY FAR the worst UK opening of Kevin Costner's career. Difficult to see where it stands for Diane Lane as very few of her films (where she is the leading lady) get any release in the UK anyway. Such a shame... and a complete mess made by Universal UK.

Agree, but these last few days have been pretty... complicated in the UK.

And besides, if you can rent it for £5.99, why would you pay more to go to the cinema to watch it during these 'complicated' times?

It does seem odd that they haven't done much press for this, but perhaps actual awards might see the BO (digital or otherwise) change further down the line.

Great Film, 8/10 from me

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ep1_Au5W4AIQ-Jk?format=jpg&name=medium

Ep1_Au5W4AIQ-Jk.jpg

Wholeheartedly agree with your review @Casimir Harlow . Some may find it an odd choice for Christmas Day viewing, but this was all I'd hoped for and then some. Worth the wait, and very much the £5.99 Amazon rental price. Just a shame I had to skip the cinema outing. Might just be a shoo in for film of 2020.

As others have said, avoid the damn trailer though - it spoils a lot of the good stuff...

Last edited:
Thanks DRAX1 - This excellent film ('LET HIM GO') is in danger of becoming one of the best and most critically acclaimed movies that nobody has seen or heard of.

Let's hope Universal can (somehow) re-release it (in cinemas (when they re-open) or on-demand) so it has at least a chance of finding an audience?

Wholeheartedly agree with your review @Casimir Harlow . Some may find it an odd choice for Christmas Day viewing, but this was all I'd hoped for and then some. Worth the wait, and very much the £5.99 Amazon rental price. Just a shame I had to skip the cinema outing. Might just be a shoo in for film of 2020.

As others have said, avoid the damn trailer though - it spoils a lot of the good stuff...

Thanks DRAX1 - This excellent film ('LET HIM GO') is in danger of becoming one of the best and most critically acclaimed movies that nobody has seen or heard of.

Let's hope Universal can (somehow) re-release it (in cinemas (when they re-open) or on-demand) so it has at least a chance of finding an audience?

I'm confused...let him go on amazon prime is available for pre order and £9.99???..am I missing something. I thought it was available now and £5.99

In fact no it says unavailable

Last edited:
I'm confused...let him go on amazon prime is available for pre order and £9.99???..am I missing something. I thought it was available now and £5.99

In fact no it says unavailable

I know. I'm telling yer... Universal UK have no idea what they are doing with this movie.
The COVID-19 restrictions and lockdown have completely stuffed their plans for 'LET HIM GO' and they don't seem to have a plan B.
I've never heard of a great, critically acclaimed, movie like this one be treated quite so incompetently as Universal UK are treating this. It was No.1 in the U.S. and has become one of the few success stories over there (during the pandemic), whilst over here... Universal have just thrown it away. :(

I wondered about this, been searching on Prime for last week and it keeps saying pre order, thought I was doing something wrong!

Went to watch/pay for this tonight, muppets have pulled the plug ...
Guess it may show up on Prime at some
point

I honestly have no idea what's going on with this film now. I don't Universal know what to do with it too. It's won huge acclaim, great reviews, possible Oscar nom for lead actress Diane Lane, it's the 8th biggest film of the pandemic period in the U.S. becoming a bit of a sleeper hit over there. But... in the UK the cinema release was completely screwed by the lockdown and now it's disappeared from streaming. Really sad that so few got to see it here. Great movie

I assume this is now not showing anywhere. The DVD and bluray have been announced in the U.S. for late February (to coincide with the Oscars for Diane Lane?)...

I wonder if Universal UK will 're-release it'. Very few cinemas open after today I suspect.

Predictably, Golden Globe nominees announced and no mention of DIANE LANE for 'LET HIM GO'.

A travesty considering the awesome reviews - especially for Diane Lane's performance!

Soooo overlooked and underrated.
icon_sad.gif

Really feel for the two main characters in this movie. Both actors did a great job and their chemistry in the film between them was spot on.

Really feel for the two main characters in this movie. Both actors did a great job and their chemistry in the film between them was spot on.
I sooo agree. Awesome acting by both Diane Lane and Costner.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom