Let an iPod user use my Sony MDR-J20s

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and she was blown away by the difference they made to the sound she got on her favourite tracks! Is going to buy them in white now! :thumbsup:

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure I understand your thread, :confused: and relevance to the fact that she is an Ipod owner, are you trying to say that your eaphones sound better to her because she is an ipod owner or that she simply prefers the sound of your earphones compared to the ipod stock ones. Might be more relevant and get some comments if posted in the headphones forum otherwise

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Lukey. Was a general comment on her preference for the Sony's over the stock iPod buds. She kept complaining about them, but didn't want to give up the white cord! She tried my black pair and was instantly converted! And yes, you're probably right: should've posted this observation (if at all) in the headphones forum.

My apologies!

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,627
    All should do what I'm doing and save up for £100-150 earphones...yes I know...youth you see

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The MDR-J20's sound like an iPod earbud with a blanket over it. It's more efficient and the (muffled, incoherent) bass is more plentiful.

From a sonic point if view, I'd think twice before inflicting the J20's on my worst enemy... then, well, I would. Inflict them that is :p

Works well for very casual sports use though.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Utter nonsense! I've compared like for like today and in the past. To my ears, at least, there are definite sonic improvements: crisper treble, warmer bass, more space in the mid - and that's just with the iPod. Or have I gone stone deaf and no one's bothered to tell me?

Sorry? Was that the door? :D :rotfl:

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    I too have problems with Sony earphones on my pod, I went and imported some from China as the one's as they didn't sell them in the UK. I think the model number is E888 but i'm not sure (quite long earphones which are gold and black in colour - can pic them if you don't know the one's I mean), they were nearly £30 on ebay. First I tried them with my audiobooks and they were perfect, crystal clear, then I tried them with music and they were utter tosh. First thing I noticed was they had a lot more bass but all the loud noises just bled into each other and created one nasty muffly mess of a noise, I have no idea how to describe it sonically but it really doesn't sound nice with the heavy sounds. Annoyingly they are superb for dialogue, anything with not so much background music have impressive clarity and I can pick up noises in such tracks that I don't notice with other 'phones. I just wanna get rid of them now.

The thing is with earphones is that they are so subjective it's almost pointless trying to judge the quality of a pair based on other peoples experiances with them, everyone has different hearing you see. I spent trying to find some earphones to buy and the only thing that people could agree on was that those damn expensive Shure isolating 'phones are the biz. Any of the sanely prices one's had a gadzillion reviewers saying they were just as good as a $150 set, then another million bozo's saying they were crappy than the stock 'phones. You just can't win I tell ya.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean, Cloysterpeteuk. I didn't actually start this thread to start a fight along the lines of 'my-cans-are-better-than-yours'. I just thought any iPod owners who hadn't yet replaced their stock buds and wanted to do so with a pair that has a white cord might like to try these - hence why I quoted the reaction of the iPod owner I lent mine to today!

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68

It's very interesting... I disagree on practically all counts, listening at identical volumes. The treble is grainier on the J20, the bass is 'warmer' but also significantly more congested, the mids exhibit a significant degree of enclosed 'honk'. That's with a variety of portables. And by no means am I proclaiming the iPod earphones to be great, although they're acceptable. It's not so much a case of 'my cans are better than your cans' since I never use either phone usually, but I'm just wondering why you're still very keen on these rather mediocre items, any way you look at them. Do your iPod earphones have the detangler?

10. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a pair of these, and they sound like junk (on my HD5) compared to the Sony A34 and A44's that I use regularly now. Wish these drivers came in a similar earclip design tho...