Lesson To All:Don't buy sacd/cd/dvd players!

bluesfan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Further to selexus and his Rotel.

All in ones are a bad idea. Even sacd players ruin stereo cds.

Originally posted by bluesfan
Further to selexus and his Rotel.

:confused: .........must be something i missed, as you've totally lost me.......:confused:

something i missed as well sony 705- pioneer 565 sacd/cd/dvd
had both of them no damage to my cd collection ?

Hmm, interesting.

Please tell us more. Do you have some references to which you can direct us?

I think he is saying that universal players are crap at playing CDs, while I think he is generalising a bit, in most cases this is fairly accurate.

Originally posted by Jeff
I think he is saying that universal players are crap at playing CDs, while I think he is generalising a bit, in most cases this is fairly accurate.

OK, there're two interpretations of "ruin"

1. It physically destroys the CD

2. It doesn't sound as good as a dedicated CD player (unless you buy Meridian <grin>).

I think we would agree that Bluesfan means #2?

My friend has a Pioneer dvd656a. It stinks for stereo. I got him to do a comparison with his 8 year old Pioneer cd player. He had to admit (reluctantly) there was no warmth or depth in the DVD player for music, just a very different clinical sound. I heard the same report with the Denon dvd2900. Maybe if you spend over 1k you might get a multiformat player to work but I doubt it. You have to bite the bullet and get separates. Unless of course music is not an issue. Can recommend Marantz cd7300 for cds. Same rule with SACD players, Sony sacdx790 wasn't that good for normal cds.

Anyway, that's my view.

My sony's not too bad at cd's but great at dvd and sacd. Still much prefer the sound of a good stand alone cdp over a dvd/sacd player any day though (at cd replay). Unfortunately when manufacturers are making multi format players they appear to provide average performance for each so anyone looking for superb performance on one format the only way to go seems to be seperates and more boxes:(

Not always true. I was sceptical about the claims that went with the Cyrus tuned Limit 900SE, so I bought one.:smashin: I was very impressed with the cd replay on it. I have compared it with my Nad 541i and was still impressed. The Nad still has the edge over it but all considering it wasnt by much.
So now the Nad is for sale and I have one box less. So I cant play HDCD any more? Who cares:thumbsdow:

What about the Marantz DV6400 ?? I've only read one US review, but gave a big thumbs up !!

Sound & Vision Review....

I was looking at the Marantz or the Denon DVD1400, if these cause problems for CD playback.......i might have to rethink ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

I still dont understand what this has to do with selexus and his Rotel.......................:confused: :confused: :confused: .

Is this another thread somewhere that i missed, or is it just a very wierd way to start a thread and get some response............???????:zonked:

And what's it gotta do with amp's and recivers anyway........(evern more :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: )

Sorry was lensman and his autoswitch and comments on his dvd player.

On the dv6400 and others. Yes they're adequate but without doubt no match for separate players.

Don't buy the multiformats just because you think you're saving money on separates. They are all designed for different purposes and don't mix well together.

My friend has a Pioneer dvd656a. It stinks for stereo. I got him to do a comparison with his 8 year old Pioneer cd player.

Same for me.

I have an old PD-703 pio CD. Using SACD DSOTM its way better than the 656a in stereo CD. Obviosly the CD doesnt do multichannel, and I only use it for the few SACD/dvd-a disks I have.

Then again ATM I use the 3803's DACs with the 703, cant realy tell that big a diff between that and the pio's dacs.

Hhhm, “ruin” is overdoing it a bit.

I did a compare last night of my Cambridge Audio CD4 SE (£200) against my Pioneer 656 (£300) playing CDs.

Yes, the CD4 was better, as it should be for a dedicated CD player, but it wasn’t chalk and cheese. For casual listening I doubt I’d notice the difference.

However when it came to a DVD-Audio track versus it’s equivalent CD track, I’d say the 656 sounded slightly better, but not as much as I would expect.

I’ve only done an DVD-A/CD comparison on “Automatic for the people” which isn’t recorded at full DVD-A bandwidth.

If the CD4 packed in tomorrow (after 7 years happy playing) I wouldn’t rush out to replace it. I think I’d need to spend around £400 on a CD player to get a big enough difference in sound quality.

my father had a Pioneer stable platter PDS-904 CD player and his new cheap Panasonic dvd player (which also plays DVD-Audio)after listening to both for weeks he decided to take out his Pioneer .there really wasnt as big a difference as you would think and then it was a matter of opinion.The fact the panasonic played every silver disc he owns helped

[MOD] Moved to the correct fórum

Well I suppose id depends on what you expect from a universal player on CD replay. I have just bought aDenon 2900 which cost me £700, it plays DVD Video very well indeed, as well as or if not better a non universal player of say £600. It plays SACD very well, not sure how much SACD players cost? DVDA is also very good, again how much does the cheapest DVDA cost? So even if it did not play CD it would represent excellent value for money. Now if I was to compare the CD replay of the Denon 2900 with say a budget £200- £300 CD it might very well compare favourably. I was not happy however and bought the Cyrus CD6 at £600 as well. Now that is what CD should sound like and I doubt if any Universal player would live with it, well not this side of £2000 at least.

My Denon DVD-A1 blows away my £300 CD player clean out of the water when playing CD's. No contest, its absolutely miles better.

Whilst the A1 is a very expensive player it proves that it can be done, and this kind of CD performance in DVD players is getting cheaper.

I use my Toshiba SD900e for DVD-A and CD playback and I think it is very good with both. It replaced my Marantz CD63 (standard) which did have more of a ballsy, upfront quality than the Tosh, but the detail the Tosh reveals was much better. Has anyone else used the 900 for CD's and if so, what is your opinion? I have been toying with the idea of getting a dedicated CD player, but I was hoping for a SACD/CD player instead, that beats the Tosh.

I have been using the DACS in my AVC-A1SE (not upgraded), but I may try the analogue outs from the Tosh again, to see if there is any improvement. I find the bass management issues confuse the A-B testing though.

I auditioned a Pioneer 868 yesterday and was frankly very disappointed with its ability to play SACD and DVD Audio. Very harsh sound. Couldnt live with it Looking for a DVD player to go with a Pioneer PDP504 HDE - will try new Arcam DV79 as soon as they are available.

Originally posted by Jules
My Denon DVD-A1 blows away my £300 CD player clean out of the water when playing CD's. No contest, its absolutely miles better.

Whilst the A1 is a very expensive player it proves that it can be done, and this kind of CD performance in DVD players is getting cheaper.

Interesting but a £300 CD player is far from perfect and the A1 is very expensive, have you tried testing it against better players like the Cyrus? It all depends on what you feel is acceptable. I love the Cyrus but many on here who spend more on a CD player would think the Cyrus isn't that good. You may very well have a universal player that can be classed as audiophile for CD replay. I tried the Arcam DV78 before the Denon and although the CD was far from bad, it was miles away from the Cyrus. Mind you as the Cyrus nearly cost as much as the Arcam that's not surprising is it!!

Originally posted by SL Boy
I auditioned a Pioneer 868 yesterday and was frankly very disappointed with its ability to play SACD and DVD Audio. Very harsh sound. Couldnt live with it Looking for a DVD player to go with a Pioneer PDP504 HDE - will try new Arcam DV79 as soon as they are available.

We use an 868 as a transport for movies and it's great ....but for the real hifi we have the Meridian (with Russ ANdrews mains cables)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom