Less 'Wide Screen' Televisions?

M

MikeHu

Hi
I want to purchase a wide screen television to watch DVD movies on - but I have a restricted space in which to put the thing. So I am looking for a very compact wide screen television - 22" or preferably less. The only options that I can find are the LCD panels (such as the Panasonic range) which look great, have okay picture quality and cost two arms and a leg. Could anyone tell me if I've missed a CRT model of this size. The smallest CRT widescreen televisions I have been able to find start at 24".
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Mike H

i think 24 inch is the smallest they do mate sorry to tell you im not a 100% sure but i think thats as small as they go

Ignore the size of the tube mate. Widescreens vary in size, regardless of the size of the tube. For example, Tosh picture frames take up hardly any space at all (they're big at the back though). A 28" picture frame would compare favourably with a 24" widescreen (and might even take up less horizontal space). On the other hand, I had a JVC 28" model that took up more space than a Philips 32". Go by the dimensions ;)

Like Silverback, I haven't seen a w/s TV that's less than 24", other than the flat panels.

Sony used to do a 16" CRT widescreen in the pre-WEGA days, but since then, anything under 24" has been a flat panel AFAIK. Might be best to get a 4:3 set and use it in 16:9 mode when needed, if you're short of space.

alan

My mate's got a 14inch widescreen Sony WEGA, so I guess you can get smaller than 28inch, haven't really looked myself.

Please remember that if you can get a 22inch widescreen it is going to be the equivalent of a much smaller 4X3 TV when watching not widescreen material so it might be better to just get a 4X3 TV until you can accommodate a 28 or 32inch widescreen.

Originally posted by MikeHu
Hi
The only options that I can find are the LCD panels (such as the Panasonic range) which look great, have okay picture quality and cost two arms and a leg.
If you DO end up deciding to part with your arms and leg, look at the 22 inch Sharp Aquos model. It has a much better viewing angle than the Panny, and, I'm told, better sound quality.

Just to clarify, Sony did a 16" and 20" widescreen in the same range at one point. Then they stopped making them and the smallest you could get was 24".

I have had the 20" version (the KV20WS1) for about 4 years and it is a great little set, the picture quality on RGB is excellent. However, I'm selling it due to upgrading to a 32".

Dorian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom