Les McKeown(Bay City Rollers) RIP

I’ve been to see him a few times, and read his autobiography - he was buggered up (in every sense of the word) by their manager. He’s been unwell, physically and mentally, for some time.

My sister is devastated. She has been a huge Rollers fan since mid 70 and pre Covid she would go and see Les McKeowns Bay City Rollers, all over the UK about 6 times a year. She had met Les god knows how many times, has hundreds of selfies with him.

At a point in the 70's they were the biggest band on the planet, had their own TV show and according to Wiki, sold around 120 million records

But they were naive and got ripped off by their management and have nothing to show for it

RIP Les

A nice tribute to Les on Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the 70's (BBC Radio2) this afternoon.
An underrated & talented guy, who joined his first band aged only 15.
Rest in peace Les

A nice tribute to Les on Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the 70's (BBC Radio2) this afternoon.
Rest in peace Les
And they also played an interview with Jim Steinman and a lot of Meatloaf tracks.
Presently my favorite radio program of the week.

Rest in peace Les
Odd, as Johnnie has always refused to play their songs (so I’ve refused to listen to his programmes). Perhaps he’s relented now?

ETA - looks like he relented a few years ago.

Odd, as Johnnie has always refused to play their songs (so I’ve refused to listen to his programmes). Perhaps he’s relented now?

ETA - looks like he relented a few years ago.
Yeah, I think their was a spat with Radio 1 back in the day (Johnnie mentioned this on Sunday) over a comment Johnnie made about the Rollers.
Him & Les made up over the years though.

Yeah, I think their was a spat with Radio 1 back in the day (Johnnie mentioned this on Sunday) over a comment Johnnie made about the Rollers.
Him & Les made up over the years though.
Think it was when they had a cover of a Four Seasons original Bye Bye Baby that was at number one 6 weeks and dreading when the new charts were announced that it still be at number one.
I dont know what was denied a number one spot by it being at number one but Bowie's brilliant Jean Genie was denied the number one spot by Little Jimmy Osmond's Long Haired Lover From Liverpool, so if something similar could understand Johnnie's frustration.
And they made up and was in interview as well.

I used to wear Bay City Rollers sock, it was the trend back then

RIP

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom