Leraner Driver Do you need your own insurance?

Morphies

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, Now bear with me on this one.

The missus is learning to drive, and want's to practive in my car :eek: :suicide:

Anyhow, I know all about the L plates and having held my licence over 3 years and being over 21.

However, when I was leaning to drive, I often tootled around in my dads car with the L plates on, Dad in the passenger side but I did not hold my own insurance as a learner driver.

Does anyone know if I was breaking the law?

Basically, would my TPFT insurance cover my other half driving with L plates?

you need to put her on your insurance policy as a named driver.

That makes sense.

Would seem daddy had me driving Illegally from the start

:eek:

Good to see you're are being responsible and checking to make sure. as ukdan states she needs to have insurance herself (unless she is going to drive only on private land and not on a public road or highway) , i.e. as a named driver. It doesn't cost that much to add her even if she only holds a provisional licence.:thumbsup:

Yeah i'll have to add her.

Not overly worried about the cost. I just wanted to make sure everything was as it should be.

Will ahev to phone the insurance up tomorrow and get a quote.

Cheers guys.

Jst noticed you are from Rotherham. There was a place in Norton, Sheffield when I was learning to drive (admit that was 15 years ago now!!) where you could learn to drive on private land. Not sure what it was called but basically it was an old airfield or something similar that had some roads put in and you could practice away until yours hearts content! No need for insurance but its all at your own risk....:thumbsup:
And yes, learner drivers do need their own insurance (or to be named at least).

Out of interest, if my son wanted to learn to drive in a car we bought for him (mine is auto and he should be learning in a manual), can I insure the car in my name and have him as named driver or does he need to hold insurance himself?

Out of interest, if my son wanted to learn to drive in a car we bought for him (mine is auto and he should be learning in a manual), can I insure the car in my name and have him as named driver or does he need to hold insurance himself?

The way I understand it is yes you can but..... if he has an accident and you are named as the main driver and your son as a second driver AND the insurers can prove otherwise, ie your son actually drives the car as a main driver this may invalidate your claim. Also bear in mind that if he has a claim it effects your NCB, plus he wont be building up and NCB so when he eventually insures a car in his own name, even if it is in a few years it will still cost megabucks!
I'd be straight with the insurance company and tell them what you are doing, it may well work out cheaper in the short term but might not in the long haul.

Just passed the test recently, id advise any learners to take out your own insurance especially younger ones, as its cheaper than after you pass but still counts towards getting that expensive 1st year out of the way

The cost of insurance is reasonable as a learner driver.
But it goes up considerably once you have passed your test.

Whats a Leraner? :rotfl:

But back on topic, she needs to be on the policy as a named driver and your premium will probably go up too.

The way I understand it is yes you can but..... if he has an accident and you are named as the main driver and your son as a second driver AND the insurers can prove otherwise, ie your son actually drives the car as a main driver this may invalidate your claim. Also bear in mind that if he has a claim it effects your NCB, plus he wont be building up and NCB so when he eventually insures a car in his own name, even if it is in a few years it will still cost megabucks!
I'd be straight with the insurance company and tell them what you are doing, it may well work out cheaper in the short term but might not in the long haul.

My Dad currently has an insurance policy on a Golf in his name. My brother is the only named driver, and my Dad isn't actually insured to drive it (explicitly states on the policy). My Dad's no claims are applied to the policy and it is massively cheaper than my brother having his own policy. The insurance company are obviously fully aware that my brother is the only one to drive it.

When i started out i was insured under my Mum's name . Mum used the car during the day to potter about whilst i was at work, and i used it at night. (it would be very difficultt to define the main driver). It was my car though. When i got to 25 i took out my own policy, and due to my lack of no claims, it was more expensive than it would have been had i taken out my own policy from the start.

Overall though.. it has worked out cheaper. It's a lot easier for it be a bit more expensive now, than it would have been when i was earning £80 a week when i was 17.

You can insure the car in your name, but be sure to specify to the insurers who is the registered owner and keeper of the car.

Bear in mind also that the premium won't be much reduced by having you as policyholder and him as a named driver- insurers aren't daft and will realise the car is for your son and not just yourself. It's refered to as 'fronting' and insurers are wise to it.

Better to bite the bullet and insure it in his name- this way he will begin to build up his own no claims bonus. It may sting a bit for the first couple of years though- best to hold off that 60" plasma for a while!

Jst noticed you are from Rotherham. There was a place in Norton, Sheffield when I was learning to drive (admit that was 15 years ago now!!) where you could learn to drive on private land. Not sure what it was called but basically it was an old airfield or something similar that had some roads put in and you could practice away until yours hearts content! No need for insurance but its all at your own risk....:thumbsup:

I did that with my son when he was big enough to reach the pedals. It was an industrial estate that was deserted at the weekends. Anyhoo... one evening I took him down for a lesson and we were pootling about when suddenly this police car came up behind us flashing its lights. My son was driving and nearly panicked big time.

Turns out the cops thought we were burglars :D. Soon as I mentioned I was teaching my son to drive they gave me a handshake and walked off saying 'good on yer mate'. My son has NEVER forgotten the experience.

Yes there is! It's like an old Bus depot or something. I;ve been on there a few times. Didn't actually think of taking the missus up there. My folks live out that way too as it happens so sounds like a winner!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom