1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by bigadg, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bigadg

bigadg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: hi
    just got a 20d a stunning bit of kit but not sure if my lenses are good enough to use on it
    18-55
    ef 35-801.4 5.6III
    ef80-200 1:4.5-5.6II
    sigma105 macro 1:2.8
    sigma 12-24 1:4.5-5.6 dg hsm
    sigma 50-500 1:4-6.3 apo
    please be easy on me if not any good what should i go for
    stu

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Try some Canon L series glass on your 20D.....well expensive but well worth it. I've just got the 100-400 L IS USM, and now want MORE!!

L glass makes most other lenses look like toys, although some Sigma EX stuff is rated pretty good.

The camera will only produce its best with the best glass on the front... :D

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I agree.

L series glass is excellent. I have the 17-40L f4 and it takes great photos.

It depends on what you are going to be taking and what size prints as to wether the investment in L glass is worth it though. It certainly ain't cheap and the lenses you have may well suit your needs. My advice is to try them :smashin:

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The 17-40L f4 is next on my list......then I need to fill the gap between 50 and 100 (I have a 50mm f1.8) so I'll have to get a 70-200mm F2.8 L.. :eek:

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you could get the 70-200 F4 L instead...

7. bigadg

bigadg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what sort of price are we talking for something like that

8. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Firstly sit down.................. I got my 100-400 L for £830 delivered, its £1400 in your local Jessops store.

L series glass is in a differant league to 'prosumer' stuff such as the supplied 18-55mm. This is why you can buy Canon DSLR's with no lens. The supplied 'kit' lens is just to get you started out of the box.

Have a browse on the www, there is plenty of reading to convince you.

As an example, if you spent £1000 on a new AV Amp, you wouldn't use Binatone speakers now........would you.. :eek:

9. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Canon 'L' lenses are certainly something to aspire to but for many it's overkill for their needs.
    Almost all lenses will outresolve the sensor in your camera, though there are many other optical aspects to consider such as colour accuracy. Look for lens designations such as ED, EX, APO ..... these will generally produce very good images (though 'APO' is bandied about a bit too frequently for my liking, and 'ED' doesn't always tell the whole story).
    regards,
    Andy

10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've got 3 L lenses, 180 Sigma macro and a 50 1.8ex.

I'd love to get a 100-400L (and have nearly bought one twice) but have been worried about finding a sharp copy... the good 100-400's are excellent but most are quite ordinary :(

John, where did you buy from? Locally or the interweb? I know 7dayshop are now selling lenses... Have been tempted for a 3rd time but must resist ... ;-)

11. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I don't think you can call ANY L series lens 'ordinary' :lesson:
    The manufacturing process, components, glass and quality control are nothing like 'ordinary' lenses. If it ain't sharp.......its faulty.

I bought mine directly from a respected ebay seller, although my bottom did go a bit tight sending £830 directly to someone in the USA.. :eek:
    I don't think he could help you in Finland though, maybe a cheap weekend to New York would be your best plan, you probably will still save money, even after buying tickets?

12. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Half the problem with the 100-400's reputation in some quarters is down to the fact that it probably is the weakest lens in the 'L' series in terms of optical performance and AF speed... and that's just down to the fact it's a zoom lens rather than a prime. It's still a cracking lens capable of astounding results, pro or amateur... and for compositional ease, the zoom is a huge asset that often outweighs any slight disadvantage over the prime lenses.

I'm sure you wouldn't regret buying one.

cheers,
    Andy

13. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ;-) Unfortunately, I've seen it first hand (I have the measurbator pictures to prove it). However, unless you've compared several units back to back you're unlikely to notice. A quick scan on www.dpreview.com's forums will tell you that all L-lenses are not equal (search for "good copy").

Yeah, they're not cheap. I think I will probably get mine from HK or then 7dayshop... I've bought all my lenses from HK so far and have saved quite a packet...

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    No no no.... the Canon 35-350 f3.5-5.6 L Lens is the worstist one.. :laugh:

ALL zooms are a compromise between quality and convenience, but do you really think the missus would let me buy Primes to cover 12 to 1200mm.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that huge range lens.

Although the 100-400 sounds expensive (o.k. £1k is expensive) but it's great value when you think about it, it's 'L' glass with I.S., good range of focal lengths, f5.6 isn't too bad for 400mm (if it were f4 you wouldn't be able to handhold easily).
    You can tell how good it is by the fact that they are pretty scarce on the 2nd hand market.

Mr Wilby: I know a huge amount of people using these lenses and more buying them by the day, I no longer hear the old complaints (but i do see the results)... so if it was a QC problem in the early days, it's seems to have been nailed.

cheers,
    Andy

16. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If you want something cheaper than L series you can do a lot worse than the Tamron Di series - like the 17-35 and 28-75 and 180mm macro. The 28-75/2.8 is especially good (said to be as sharp @ 50mm as the 50/1.8) and a great deal cheaper than the equivalent L (24-70/2.8) without sacrificing too much performance.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=187&sort=7&thecat=29

17. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    All of those Sigma lenses are excellent, no need to replace them at all, even with Canon L glass :)

18. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1