lenses for K100d

ali13B

Standard Member
I know that answers to questions like this are very subjective (and postings like this are (almost?) as annoying as "what's the best camera?"), but if anyone has any opinions....

Having finally decided to venture towards the world of DSLR, and been to the local stores to handle the cameras themselves, I'm on the verge of buying a k100d. However, the options of lenses are somewhat numerous, and I've not been able to locate specific reviews or opinions for many of these options (especially in relation to Pentax mounts), even on FredMiranda, etc.

Despite being a pommie (and proud of it), I am for the time being in the land down under, where for some reason, Pentax don't ship camera bodies with their own lenses - that honour is left to Sigma ( and occasionally Tamron).

Prices in AUD (~2.4 to the quid)

body +...(all sigma unless otherwise stated)

18-50 = 869
18-125 = 985
18-200 = 1160
18-50 + 55-200 = 1160
18-50 (Sigma) + 80-210 (Tamron) = 1100

apparently it is also possible to buy a Sigma 100-300 for ~200AUD

all the prices seem quite reasonable on paper, but I have SFA experience with any of these lenses (are there any real dogs amongst them?)

most of my piccies will be of landscapes/portraits but a fair amount will be at top end zoom for wildlife. It is also in the planning to get a 50mm prime, but may not be for a little while. The original plan was for a zoom up to 300m, but they do not seem to do this as a kit lens (though see above!)

If anyone would care to share views and opinions (or suggestions of alternative lenses that may be available), I'd be most 'umbly grateful.

Cheers,

Al

ps another annoying question, but forgetting PP, can the K100d shoot in B&W? I occasionally shoot x-rays,and have found in-camera B&W to be the more effective/accurate method

Ikki

Novice Member
I'm sure that you will get a million diffent suggestions but....

If you want one lens, I have the 18-200mm as a walkaround lens and like it more and more. It's often dismissed by 'serious' photographers but delivers very good results.

If you want a three lens Sigma set to cover landscape to wildlife, I suggest:

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO

This will cover you for landscape, portrait and wildlife and all these lenses get good user reviews.

The K100D does have a B&W mode or you can shoot in colour and convert to B&W in post processing.

Top Bottom