lense filter

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dan76n, Apr 23, 2004.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, ive been reading that a lense filter can improve image in bright conditions, eg the snow! I have a dcrtrv340 and wondered if i would benifit from using a filter at the snow? if so what kind of filter would be best, and would i be better off buying from sony which seem to be alot dearer than say, EBAY. Also what are the pros and cons of filters for my conditions?
    Thanks, Danny

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I have a couple of cameras & a camcorder and they all have a filter permenently attached. The main reason for this is not really to improve the picture, but far more importently to protect the lens. I use standard filters from a camera shop, such as a polarising filter, that costs around £10 and is a lot cheaper to replace than a lens. As soon as it gets scratched (no matter how careful you are, they do still get scratched) I throw it away and get a new one. I'm not made of money and therefore could not afford to do this with the camcorder, or even pay for a repair.
    There is IMHO very little, if any disadvantage to useing a filter on the lens. If there is any then it is far outweighed by the above advantage.

I would suggest you take your cam along to a camera shop, such as Jessops, and try one to see if you think it affects the picture. Don't just get the cheapest one you can as the old saying goes 'you only get what you pay for', but I would steer well clear of the very expensive Sony etc filters as they are just too expsensive and IMHO do nothing more than a standard filter.

Mark.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ones which you would normally keep on the front of your lens for protection would be a 'UV' (Ultra-Violet) or a 'Skylight' filter - but for filming in snow and other very bright conditions you may like to consider a 'ND' (Neutral Density) which basically just cuts down light or a 'Polarising' which you rotate on the front of your lens so that it eliminates glare and bright reflections from glass, water, ice and snow.