Lens Suggestion and question regarding Egyptian museum

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by MitsiTurbo, May 4, 2007.

1. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Evening all,

Im off to Egypt on Sunday for a week. Hopefully going to get to the pyramids while im there. I got a Canon 400d earlier this week and am obviously going to be taking this with me. I want to get the best possible photos I can! I currently only have the 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera. What would you photo people recommend as a decent lens? Looking to spend about £150-£200.

As you can probably tell, im fairly new to DSLR stuff!

On a slightly different note, has anyone been to the Egyptian museum recently? I have read that cameras are not allowed inside the museum and must be left at a 'booth' outside. Does anyone know how secure this booth is?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

John

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I can't answer the lens question but went to the pyramids and Cairo Museum last year.

There are plenty of photo opportunities at the pyramids and it really is an incredible place. Just be wary of the locals trying to get in your shot then trying to charge you for it.:rolleyes:

You aren't allowed to take cameras in to Cairo Museum and there is a safe in the entrance but as our guide put it "the safes aren't safe in Egypt" if you are going as part of an organised tour then you can leave the camera on the coach, if not then I simply wouldn't take it.

If you need any more info then let me know.

Dave.

3. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552

For the money you're willing to spend I'd be looking at 2 options:
    If you need a long zoom then a Sigma 70-300 macro - about £150 off the shelf I would think or if you want a lens that's good in low light then the nifty fifty (Canon 50mm f/1.8) about £80 off the shelf.

You can obvoiusly buy cheaper online than in a shop but you wont get your lens by sunday!

HTH.

Edit: That's assuming you want another lens to accompany the kit lens rather than replace it?