1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens Shift - At the max.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xaser1066, Nov 12, 2004.

1. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :hiya: does anybody have experience of using maximum horizontal lens shift on any projector. I was hoping to buy a HS50 and mount it at the back right-hand corner of a room on a shelf (of any height). Using the HS50's horizontal lens shift (of half screen width) I should be able to bring the right edge of the screen in line with the centre of the lens which will be only 14 inches from the wall. Therefore the left hand edge of the screen will be 94 inches from the wall (assuming an 80 inch width screen). Does this sound possible? Has anybody done this? Will be the image be degraded? Will the left hand edge be less bright because the light has to travel further (sounds daft I know)? I do not want to use Keystone correction.
    Thanks, Jason.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can't speak for the HS50, but experience with a Z2 and Z200E shows that you can get some possible effects at extremes:

1) loss of light output
    2) minor but noticeable optical distortions causing slight colour problems due to uneven light bending.
    3) similar to (2) focussing can be difficult, with one edge in focus and the other slightly out.

It obviously depends on the quality of the optics.

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my AE700 mounted on the ceiling and have the lens shift at the extreme bottom-right position. I don't notice any distortions or problems with it, but then, I've not been able to set it up in the optimal position either without using the lens shift so I have no comparison to make.