Lens Selection for Fuji X-T1 ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by topgazza, Jul 16, 2015.

1. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Now, I'm getting excited to be getting an X-T1... more so than for any camera for a while. I've read lots of web sites of pro photographers and serious enthusiasts and apart from all loving the Fuji lenses they have similar views. Mainly because nearly all Fuji lenses appear to be superb. Whilst thats not a surprise choice of lens range obviously depends on what you take and what you preferences are such as primes , zooms or a combination of both.

I like zooms as they provide flexibility and less kit to carry but I'm reading enough about the Fuji lenses to want a combination even if it means a bit of crossover. So far I've got a 27mm 2.8 which will be a keeper. I'm getting a Tokina 100mm Macro with adaptor so my macro hobby is covered

So I'm thinking

27mm f2.8 - pancake low profile lens - Got but then.......

18-135 f3.5 - 5.6 - where only one lens will do and instead of 18-55 XF kit

55-200 XF 3.5 - 4.8 - I would like a long zoom but not sure if I have the 18-135 I need it as I don't do a lot of wildlife or similar

Then ? Well thats the question... the 10-24 0r the 56mm or with perhaps the top two, 27mm. 18-135mm - I've got enough

Thoughts appreciated as always

2. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    How many threads do you need?

3. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    One for each seperate question of course... otherwise people dont always read them

4. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Fuji have £150 off the XF 18-135 so that, to me , is a good deal at £429 from £579... I'll buy from JL as they have 90 day returns and a two year warranty.. which is transferable of course. One lens down....

5. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Depends if you're happy to sacrifice a little IQ and speed swapping out the 18-55 and 55-200 for the 18-135.

Fuji produced an exceptional lens in the 18-55, it's certainly not 'kit lens' quality and better than any other manufacturers kit equivalent, I'd go as far as to say it's as good as much pro glass out there. Stopped down slightly it's just as sharp and punchy as any prime within the same FL. At 18mm f2.8 it's sharper than the prime right across the frame.
    The 55-200 is no different, a great landscape lens that's near faultless and performs better than the 18-135 at the same FL. The latter is a great one lens do all solution if your happy to concede its limits. As a casual shooter for travel and family pics it's great, if not a tad large, it could be the only lens you need.

The 10-24 and 56 prime serve completely different purposes, both expensive but exceptional lenes. A slight notch up in IQ from the 18-55. Depends what you shoot, the 10-24 is vital for any landscape work If you're interested. The 56 is very fast and great for portraits etc.

Personally I can't recommend the 18-55 enough, it's a bargain of the century. The best fuji setup imo is 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200.

6. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Totally agree ... played with an 18-55 and it was mind blowingly good. I have one on the way for Tuesday :)

Also played with the XC 50-230 and was pretty surprised by how good that was as well let alone the XF 55-200. I've forgotten the 18-135. Your suggestions are pretty much where I want to be... I have the 27mm as well which is very impressive

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Only thing lacking in the Fuji range is a proper macro lens.... 120mm Macro due next year apparently... but I bet that will be mega expensive and huge

8. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Bought a Fuji 60mm f2.4 macro today from JL.... i can return in 90 days of course. Whilst it takes very nice macro shots its not as good as the Sigma for cropping in... which I like. However I need to practice as its a different technique and it has no OIS so faster shutter speeds are required. I am on a Fuji forum and folk are saying what a great lens it is. Its is fantastically sharp corner to corner...stunning in fact. Not convinced as the Sigma even with no aperture control so I lose DOF focus is still sharper win macro. I think if I took pictures of flowers etc and din't want to crop in would be fine. Thinking I might even buy, oh I don't know, A Sony A6000, or even a decent cheapish Canon DSLR just for macro work........

9. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Going to try a Jack in the Hut Canon - X Mount adaptor with iris control......if that works I'll keep the Siggy 105....

10. Thunderbird_010

Thunderbird_010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I already have 2 old Pentax lenses a 50 1.8 and a 135 3.5 think they cost me £50 in total. I've now just ordered an adapter and bagged a Kiron 70-210 f4 off eBay for £20 got to be worth a try.

11. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    Got to be the 16-55 f2.8 surely? ;) 18's not wide enough on a crop IMO, and you gotta have the wide aperture to get some form of subject isolation. Plus it's apparently an excellent lens.

The X-T1's really come down in price hasn't it? Just seen jessops have it for £804 after CB, that's almost a bargain.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  12. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    This took some deciphering ;) What do you mean by it's not as good as the sigma for cropping in?

Also can you put this into English please ;)
    "Not convinced as the Sigma even with no aperture control so I lose DOF focus is still sharper win macro"

13. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Should check when i type with the damned predictive spelling. Using the Sigma with a dumb adapter so it was wide open I got this

[​IMG]

So where it is sharp its very sharp and i was able to crop right in close and got that. Whereas with the 60mm it started to lose quality and generated noise quite early as in

[​IMG]

I'll try the 18-55 when I get it.

14. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I assume you are comparing shots with the same ISO and under similar light conditions? I would have thought the Fuji would have been better than the a6000 with regards to noise tbh, but not compared them.

I'm only on the iphone at the mo so can't really compare images. Will look tomorrow. Could just be a case of being used to your old setup and not knowing how to get the best from the new setup.

Oh and cancel the 18-55 and get the 16-55 f2.8 instead :devil:

15. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I suspect there is an element of user incompetence for sure. I'm not giving up on it quite yet.....

Nah, the XF18-55 2.8-4 is fantastic enough..... the weather resistant one is a bargain at £800 though :eek:

16. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    First picture is 1/125
    ISO 500
    No idea what aperture is but as its a f2.8 lens its probably that

Second shot with 60mm is

1/125
    Iso 3200 (on auto)
    F11

17. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    And you wonder why the Fuji is noisier, do you know nothing about noise and ISO (not to mention DR and IQ) :devil: :p

18. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Clearly not :cool:

...Only noticed the ISO afterwards as it was on auto and the 1/125 shutter speed obviously pushed it up. I shall have another go and see what I get..​

19. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    Good camera, that!
    Kit lens is great, more than great!
    56mm is wonderful.
    That's all I have at the moment.
    Future 'wants' = 16mm, 23mm & 35mm primes.

If you're into RAW processing (and you should be, if you're getting an XT-1!), then I strongly recommend getting Capture One for your editting. knocks socks off of Lightroom for the X-trans cameras. Though, as I recently finding out, ones does need a decent spec machine to run it optimally.

Happy shootin'!

20. weaviemx5

weaviemx5
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,270
    If you want to shoot macro you really need to be using at least a single flashgun to give some extra light. Shooting at F2.8 is not going to get you anywhere like enough detail to bother with.

You don't need AF for macro either as you're much better off using manual focus and moving the camera backwards/forwards slightly to get focus. A manual macro lens like a Tamon 90mm (the Adaptall lens), Kiron 105mm or Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm 3.5 and a flashgun will be more than capable.

I've shown these before but I shot them all with my NEX5 and a single flashgun held in my other hand;

1) OM Zuiko 50mm 3.5

[​IMG]Crumbling fly by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2) Kiron 105mm 2.8

[​IMG]Woodlouse - Kiron 105mm 2.8 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

3) OM Zuiko 50mm 3.5

[​IMG]DSC03181 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

However, probably more important than buying even more kit is to learn how to use what you've got already. There's no need to buy an A6000 to shoot macro when you've got an XT1 sitting there.

21. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I only shoot in manual for macro.... is there another way ? ;)

Flowers outside in sunlight shouldn't need flash and if I increase shutter speed the resulting picture is almost black. I'm doing something wrong.....

My concern with the Fuji is that it chooses very high ISO at 125 in good light @f8 or 11.

22. weaviemx5

weaviemx5
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,270
    But the camera knows what it's doing to meter for the light. The fact you think it's bright light doesn't mean the camera sensor does. What mode are you shooting in?

Also, if you only shoot macro in manual, why are you worrying about Fuji's only AF macro lens?

23. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    Completely agree. F2.8 the DOF is so shallow it's just going to look poo. I'd recommend shooting at f16 minimum on aps sensors if shooting 1:1

Yep, agreed. Looking at Gazza's threads it's clear he doesn't really knowhow to get the best from his equipment at the mo (no offence Gazza, just trying to help :smashin:) and you should be able to get some excellent results with the Fuji

What settings are you using when it goes black? It shouldn't go black unless you are massively underexposing for some reason. Also, what you and what the camera thinks is good light are two different things. Don't forget if you're comparing f2.8 to f8 there's 8 times less light reaching the sensor at f8, which is why your fuji is choosing a much higher ISO than the A6000 was at f2.8. If your Fuji is choosing ISO 3200 at f8, at f2.8 it wold have chosen ISO 400. This is why macro shooters use off camera, or ring flash.

Agreed :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  24. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583

Because its the only macro...or close to macro lens, 1:2 and its "only " 60mm they do. Hence looking at other dedicated equipment or adaptors for my Siggy.....

25. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    .... shouldve bought the Tokina I showed you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  26. weaviemx5

weaviemx5
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,270
    That's my point though. You don't need AF to shoot macro so you're not limited to the Fuji offering.

27. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Not forgotten that little baby..... its a real bargain given what its capable of as well. But still the same issue with an iris adaptor so i might as well try the Canon one from Jack....

The issue still remains that no one makes a smart adaptor for the X mount

28. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    WRONG!!!!! Thats why I recommended that lens, it has a manual aperture, you only need a basic adapter without iris. You adjust aperture on the lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  29. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Thats a bit OTT.. I suggest you look at some of my macro shots from my Sony's before saying that...so yes I am offended by that. I'd put any of my non static insect shots against anyone here. The only issue I'm having is understanding how the Fuji does it as its very different from the Sony. The Sony hit the sweet spot when it comes to resolution and detail whereas the Fuji is a bit harder work

30. weaviemx5

weaviemx5
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,270
    I have to ask then why you bought the Fuji?

However, other than different dials, the same applies with regards to Aperture/Shutter/ISO so I'm sure that once you have that sorted you'll be fine.