• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lens recomendation for full length protrait in limited space.

RimBlock

Established Member
Hi,

Well my kit has increased now but I am missing a lens for full length portrait from around 2-3 meters from the subject.

I have;
EOS 350d
Kit lens (USM)
28mm-135mm Canon USM
50mm 1.4 Canon USM (Finally found a shop with one in stock - York Cameras by the British Museum)
85mm 1.8 Canon USM on order.

On getting home I found that the 50mm will only allow me to capture the waist up of the model in the space I have available (converted room as a studio, room is not small by London standards).

Can anyone recommend a prime lens for full length protraits. Lighting is either to be studio flash or subdued lighting (candle, table lamp etc) for being fairly fast would be good.

Oh and budget..... well not L glass thats for sure. Under £400 would be a good mark.

Cheers
RB

dolph

Established Member
Look here as a start (I've given the Canon list but also check Sigma etc)

I guess the 35L F1.4 would be perfect, but too pricy....

35 F2.0 ? Will 35 be wide enough from that distance?

tomson

Established Member
There's also the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - looks to be a very sharp lens if you get a good copy...but there seems to be a bit of talk about focusing problems.

T

thebigkung

Curious question,

What's wrong with your 20-135?

Have you tried it for quality? I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad and I'm sure it'll be better then buying a non-canon lens.

Save the money. :D

RimBlock

Established Member
Ok, well after the first shoot last night I found out the following.

135mm was good for close face portraits.
85mm was good for head and shoulders.
50mm was good for waist up.
18mm of the stock lens was good for 5/6 seated.

Tried panning the shot to stitch in photoshop but due to the short distance between camera and subject and the large movement of the lens the perspective changed totally and so the seperate 'pieces' do not match up :-(.

Oh well got some nice portraits (Head only) and nice shots in several pieces that don't fit together.

Oh well it could have been worse :).

RB

RimBlock

Established Member
:clap: :clap:

Ok, single floor flat and really could not get more space without the doorframe coming into the shot (room has a bay window).

Well I do prefer Asian models which tends to have this advantage and I susect the 4" heel platform shoes only added to the problem ;). Err .... she had the shoes and not me, just so there is no missunderstanding :rolleyes: . It was a portrait and fetish shoot with a fairly well known fetish model hence the heels.

Cheers
RB

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom