Lens hire question...

kBm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm covering an week long event at the end of May. Both outdoor and indoor locations (including a theatre). Last year i hired the Nikon 24-70 F2.8 lens for the week. Gave me great results, especially in low light.

Since then i have bought the Sigma 17-70 f2.8, whilst it meet the demands i need and can produce the goods, i.e etc weddings, general photography, in low light i really need to crank up the ISO. In reality it's no match for the mighty Nikon! So i could hire out the Nikon lens again.

OR

I could hire a Sony A6000 + Sony 70-200 f2.8, slightly more cost, but it would give me extra focal length, decent quality lens and a 2nd body. I would need to sort out extra batteries.

I can see merits in both options, just need to decided (as i would like a play with the A6000;)

Thoughts?

I'm covering an week long event at the end of May. Both outdoor and indoor locations (including a theatre). Last year i hired the Nikon 24-70 F2.8 lens for the week. Gave me great results, especially in low light.

Since then i have bought the Sigma 17-70 f2.8, whilst it meet the demands i need and can produce the goods, i.e etc weddings, general photography, in low light i really need to crank up the ISO. In reality it's no match for the mighty Nikon! So i could hire out the Nikon lens again.

OR

I could hire a Sony A6000 + Sony 70-200 f2.8, slightly more cost, but it would give me extra focal length, decent quality lens and a 2nd body. I would need to sort out extra batteries.

I can see merits in both options, just need to decided (as i would like a play with the A6000;)

Thoughts?

You wont be hiring an E mount Sony 70-200 2.8, theres no such thing.

What camera is the lens for?

Any idea how often you are going to want to hire a lens? That'll be twice this time, a couple more times and you may as well have bought the lens. You could always buy the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, every bit as sharp as the Nikon apparently for half the price.

What camera is the lens for?

Any idea how often you are going to want to hire a lens? That'll be twice this time, a couple more times and you may as well have bought the lens. You could always buy the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, every bit as sharp as the Nikon apparently for half the price.

I already have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8, as i have rented the Nikon lens twice. I would have to rent the nikon 10 times before i could say ive spent the cost with nothing to show!

Im leaning more toward the A6000 + 70-200. The lens it self is over £1200, something i could never own.

Still wanting to know what camera body you have ;)

What sort of shots are you taking as the 70-200mm isn't very wide at all on a crop body, being the equivalent of 105-300mm?

I'm not surprised you favour the Nikon over your Sigma as it's a £300 'budget' ish lens compared to a £1200 pro lens.

But out of an a6000 with 70-200 f4 and a ? with 24-70mm f2.4 I'd be choosing the 24-70mm f2.8, but of course I don't know what you are going to be shooting so you might need the range.

I personally find the Nex style bodies very awkward to hold with big ish lenses.

This one

SEL70200G | α Lenses | | Sony UK

(Obviously its on a crop sensor)

..and its a F4 lens, not f2.8. ;)

I guess it depends on the wedding but I don't find my 70-200mm F2.8 that useful at weddings, I tend to stick with the 24-70mm F2.8 and the 50mm F1.4G as I usually find I can't take photos further back as people get in the way. I also find light is crucial so I'm struggling with aperture and iso to get enough light, I think F4 on an APS-C could be a bit tough to use if there's a lot of indoor shooting.

That's just my personal view though from a handful of weddings, I'll admit it's not something I do that often and I realise there's huge variance in how weddings are organised.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom