Question Lens for Canon EOS 1D mk11

killie77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
Was out this morning and came across the EOS 1D in Cash Convertors in Glasgow.
They had reduced it to half price including a ton of accessories which came with the camera it's the Body only but seems to be in perfect condition must have been looked after :)
So it's been a while since I've been in to photography last cameras i had were the original OM1 & 2
I'm wondering which lens to buy for the Canon preferably second hand. I'm thinking 35-85 to start or something similar. Does anyone know if the older type non auto focus would fit. Or does it actually use those types of lens ?
Thanks for any replies
Ian

It's an 8MP 1.3 x crop sensor camera that takes EF (full frame) mount lenses. Crop sensor (EF-S) lenses will not fit. So, you may need to factor the crop in when choosing lenses, E.G. if you like wide angle, a 24mm lens will give the same angle of view on this camera as a 31.2mm lens.

Lens choice will depend on what subjects you like to shoot and budget. There's loads of good second hand lenses on the market from Canon and 3rd party makes, like Tamron, Sigma etc.

If you want to shoot manual lenses (older FD lenses for example) there are FD to EF mount adapters from places like Amazon etc.

Thanks John
Thats very helpful. Will have a look around and see what i can find. Will mostly use it for family shots some Portrait. and maybe a little bit of landscape
Thanks
Ian

For portraits the usual ff recommendation I'd 85mm so for this camera the 50mm should be ok. Cheap nifty fifty f1.8 or slightly better the 1.4.

Thanks looking through eBay at the moment, 50mm seem to be going around £90. Haven't looked at Tamron or Sigma yet.
Thanks
Ian

Looked at the completed listings and several 50 f1.8 gone through around the £50 mark.

Worth noting the canon 1 series is usually considered to be the one for sports photography. Not that that will stop it being used for landscape or portrait but may be more capable than you think.

Review - Canon EOS-1D Mark II Review

Last edited:
Thats my kind of Price :). Will keep an eye out and see what i can find. Having a look at Gumtree as well
Thanks
Ian

This guy has the stm version of the 50mm f1.8 as part of a kit. Advert a couple of weeks old but may be worth a pm to see if he will split and accept an offer.

For Sale - Canon 700D kit (Reduced)

Thanks
Have posted a question to him regarding the 50mm
Ian

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
thanks
I've got a couple of bids going at the moment. Do you think £80 buy it now is a good price ?
Ian

Buy it now seems to have disappeared, think eBay does this sometimes when a single bid is placed. eBay trending price is £90 so not too far off the mark.

The stm seem better optically, is a much newer design but your camera will not be able to take advantage of the stm motor fully as this is designed for silent use and autofocus whilst videoing on the later canon models.

That was me testing the waters
Will see if the buy it now comes back. I've noticed a couple of 50 mm lenses by yogonam think that's the spelling, are they any good ?
Ian

These are a Chinese copy of the canon 50mm f1.8. Iirc the performance was similar to the canon 50mm f.8II but build quality and autofocus were variable. Resale value will not be as good as a second hand canon lens which you should get your money back if you upgrade later. For the extra few pounds I think the stm is the best bet if you can get one around the £75 mark followed by the canon f1.8 and then if you must the yongnou.

Thanks for that. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for. I will steer clear of them. Will try and find the stm if possible would rather have a canon to match up with the body. Hopefully will have something by next week
Ian

Hi
Managed to source a couple of Lenses one from The Forum and one from eBay.
But i now have a small problem when looking through the viewfinder their appears to be some marks on the viewing Prism. They were like a smudge line across the top when viewed. I tried blowing and using a soft brush. To no avail. So resorted to a cotton bud dipped in lens cleaner. this has broken up the smudge line but seems to have moved the mark around the prism glass. I'm not sure where to go from here, Their aren't any camera shops near me. I could take it to. Any advice on what might clean and remove the marks without damaging ?
Thanks
Ian

Never touch the focus screen, it is almost impossible to clean. It is however an interchangeable part costing between £15 and £40 depending on they type you want. There were quite a few that fitted the 1d2 iirc, with different markings for different uses. You will probably just want the standard one. Look in the manual for they types available then search online for one.

Thanks for the info..Will have a look online and see what pops up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom