lens filter for Panasonic SD90

phda

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to find a UV lens filter or something similar to protect the lens on my Panasonic Sd90. The specs state filter size 41.5mm with step up ring. I've tried searching but can't seem to find any info on what size filter to actually buy and 41.5mm doesn't seem to be a size but 40.5mm is.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Tried also to find UV filter in order to protect my HDR-SD90 lenses.
Went to a very good foto-video shop and tried Hoya Digital HMC UV 40.5mm filter, thinking it might fit. BTW, except the fillet diameter, it's exactly what we need. Unfortunately - NO LUCK, it's too small. Sometimes a milimeter is way too much.
We need exactly 41.5mm fillet filter.
For the moment, I couldn't find any filter with this diameter.
Maybe one of the manufacturers, based on popularity of SD90 and SD900 series (and maybe other camcorders) will take into account the production of 41.5mm filters, especially UV (protective) filters.
Conclusion:
Do not order 40.5mm filter, it won't fit the HDR-SD90.

Quick trawl shows 40.5 are a stock-size - so that may explain the suggestion to "step-up rings"

Just be careful you don't fit too-small a filter as the mounting-ring will cut-off wide-viewing.

Why don't manufacturers supply a filter... can't cost them more than £1.

Once the camera is a year old (and you don't care about looks) you could attach a larger filter, and use this as the basis of attaching whatever filter you need. This isn't entirely elegant, but very practical as it gives you a metal thread. Attach with some glue and when that all correct, run some stiff Araldite over to make it permanent. You need to take care.... experiment on an old Instamatic, to gain skills, etc.

This filter-problem rather demonstrates how small these camera-sensors really are.

Why Panasonic would make such an odd ball size as 41.5 mm is beyond comprehension. There are no step up rings or filters that will work on my HDC-TM90. If I had known this I would have bought a camcorder with a more conventional size. Very disappointing!

I followed the LINK, thanks LeeC, but could not see the means the "Step-up" ring is attached. If this is available (easily/cheaply), then the next Q is What thread does it provide? - and will this accept standard-sizes of screw-in filters?

The OP wanted to protect the lens - why does Pana make this so difficult? - esp. with their disfunctional waranty plans (can I refer to another thread?)....er, Oops.

I am presuming that the step-up ring screws into the front of the SD90, and takes that to 46mm, which is what the S900 filter diameter is. There is a bit of info and some pictures of the 3D lens here... Panasonic VW-CLT1 3D camcorder lens hands-on - photo 9 - Pocket-lint.

Looking at the picture of the back of the lens, it seems to mimic the front of the SD90, just bigger. What it needs, is someone to manufacture these step-up rings, with a standard thread on the front. Or for Panasonic to sell something separate... but I can't see the latter happening any time soon.

@LeeC
Sorry, but do you own a SD90 ? I guess that you just post without being involved.

@LeeC
Sorry, but do you own a SD90 ? I guess that you just post without being involved.
Yes I do... would you like me to take a photo of it to show you?

Oh, and you can apologise for your comment after you answer that... thanks.

Thought I would save you the hassle of answering half of that... I'll just take the apology instead.

http://www.digital-essence.co.uk/misc/mySD90.jpg

Last edited:
I've just got an email reply from Panasonic to a request for a step-up ring for the SD90. There is a step-up ring available and the part number is VYK4V3. This is the step-up ring supplied with the 3D lens kit. A quick hunt on the web suggests that it steps-up the 41.5mm to 46mm which should be a pretty standard size. They are quoting a price of £26.12 + £3.06 Delivery.

I've tried to order it on the phone but Panasonic UK say that it will not be available until the end of June 2011. I've sent another request of to the person who sent me the email and will keep you updated with the reply.

sun.piper said:
I've just got an email reply from Panasonic to a request for a step-up ring for the SD90. There is a step-up ring available and the part number is VYK4V3. This is the step-up ring supplied with the 3D lens kit. A quick hunt on the web suggests that it steps-up the 41.5mm to 46mm which should be a pretty standard size. They are quoting a price of £26.12 + £3.06 Delivery.

I've tried to order it on the phone but Panasonic UK say that it will not be available until the end of June 2011. I've sent another request of to the person who sent me the email and will keep you updated with the reply.

Nice research, sun! I am too looking for this ring because I can get a cheap 3d lens but the seller doesn't have this ring. Are you sure you spelled the part number correctly? I get 0 results from google. Please let me know if you have more information. Meanwhile I'm trying via Panasonic NL, will keep you posted.

Sorry last digit of the part number was missing. Made sure to cut and paste from the email so there would be no error but you have to cut it all! The part number is:
VYK4V31
You'll see it mentioned in the 3D Conversion Lens manual which I found at:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/133/133VWCLT1.PDF
Can't see the manual on the Panasonic UK website.
We just need to find a supplier now!

Sorry last digit of the part number was missing. Made sure to cut and paste from the email so there would be no error but you have to cut it all! The part number is:
VYK4V31
You'll see it mentioned in the 3D Conversion Lens manual which I found at:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/133/133VWCLT1.PDF
Can't see the manual on the Panasonic UK website.
We just need to find a supplier now!

Looks like on this link at the bottom you can order it! Unfortunately my Janapese is a little rusty ;)

There 's a pic of the ring as well:

VYK4V31_D_201103241300.jpg

You can maybe order this from the panasonic parts store online.
Panasonic Parts Store

Just do a "Search by Part #" and enter in "VYK4V31" in the part number 1 search box.

Step up ring is $26.92 plus $7.95 for surface shipping in US. The part is backordered at the moment. ETA 6/13/11. I'll probably look to order it soon and let you all know how it works out.

You can maybe order this from the panasonic parts store online.
Panasonic Parts Store

Just do a "Search by Part #" and enter in "VYK4V31" in the part number 1 search box.

Step up ring is $26.92 plus $7.95 for surface shipping in US. The part is backordered at the moment. ETA 6/13/11. I'll probably look to order it soon and let you all know how it works out.

Could you order one for me as well perhaps :) :) Via Panasonic Europe is seems impossible to get hold of one. I live in the Netherlands. :) :lease:

I too am trying to find a lens filter for my tm90. I will probably have to go with the step up ring but I am kind of reluctant because it will just make the camera larger. And I don't know how bulky that step up ring is.. Please post if someone finds anything because I will be going on vacation at the end of August and if by any chance, hopefully they have manufactured something by then. If not, then step up ring it is.

Can you roblox84 (or phda_, supply a detailed drawing of the front of the lens, showing dimensions...-or- a photo with a mm ruler in same plane of focus (using a still camera, for example). I sense a supply/kit to solve this problem.... if interested, it would provide a metal ring threaded to take standard-size optical filters/lenshoods and so on...
I have in mind something that clamps on the lens barrel, this is preferable to something within the lens-front, as that would almost certainly obstruct the view at the WA settings.

Also, if there are any "near" body parts, or access-needs - these should be detailed, too.

Advise also, if any front-part of the lens body rotates, eg manual focus.

Hi
I was thinking that maybe a simple flash bracket connected at one end to the SD90's tripod mount and extending out in front of the lens can be useful to make a filter holder.
Anyway I'll get the SD90 in about a week and I'll post pictures if I manage to make a filter holder that way.

Very helpful information from all - many thanks. Will order the step-up ring, but was also wondering: has anyone tried any T-mount (42mm x 0.75) adapters/filters? Theoretically, all we would have to do is shave 1/4mm off of the male thread of any T-mount adapter/filter/etc. (all the way around it, of course, for a total of 1/2mm deduction in diameter) and it would fit the SD/TM90...? Just a thought...

Last edited:
Looking into this myself now...

Not really too keen on the idea of using the 3D adapter....way too bulky for me. If you want to see what it actually looks like when mounted, check this video out at about 2:39sec to see:
YouTube - ‪Panasonic HDC SD90K * 3D Camcorder Review - Same as TM90K without 16gb Memory‬‏

It also has me concerned about what affect it would have on the field of view....no idea though, just gut feelings on this point.

I know someone tried a 40.5, which is a full 1mm too small, but how about .5mm shy?
B+W Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter) 41mm - 46mm 65069502 B&H Photo

That's a 41mm to 46mm step-up ring. Wondering if only being .25mm end-to-end on the perimeter would be enough for it to snug up? If need be, we could even use a little bit of plumbers tape, carefully wrapped around, to makeup for that little bit of looseness.
Even with this setup, I'd be more than willing, prefer actually, to just leave the adapter on there and then put a nice B+W lens cap on it...and keep the filter on the camera full-time.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=475550&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, this video doesn't start.

Whoah there, a filter that screws into 41mm has to have some substance; so it's hole is likely to be under 40mm diameter and it is the forward projection that will affect cut-off too. That was why I suggested attaching something to the outside of the lens barrel (depends on model design, clearance, etc. no replies so far).

Plumber's tape is very thin, but unsuitable IMHO - being teflon and very slipery - the ring could be removed just putting it in the Case....

The 3D ring has the advantage it should fit, with no risks (as such) . . . . but you still have to adapt it and if you don't have one, it's extra cost.

Filter attachment on full-time...agreed, it becomes part of the camera.

tjkelman - What's holding this on, your proposal? - are you suggesting this filter thingy will be held by the camera by just 0.25mm (the part you suggest filing down?). This is nothing like enough. Even 1mm engagement (=push-on) would be far too risky, IMHO.

Last edited:
tjkelman - What's holding this on, your proposal? - are you suggesting this filter thingy will be held by the camera by just 0.25mm (the part you suggest filing down?). This is nothing like enough. Even 1mm engagement (=push-on) would be far too risky, IMHO.

I didn't communicate clearly - the 0.25mm comes off of the radial edge of the T-mount (42mm) adapter, so that it's diameter is now 41.5mm - the exact same as the thread on the SD90/TM90. I'm not talking about depth of attachment, I'm taking about the diameter - the adapter would screw into the full depth of the filter threads on the SD90/TM90, which is approximately 3mm. For adding light weight components (e.g. filters), this should be fine - but for anything heavier, I would recommend Panasonic's 46mm step up ring, as it (apparently) also engages the two slots on each side of the lens as well as the filter thread. If it's enough to keep the 3D attachment in place, then it has to be fairly strong...

Hope that helps.

Hi
I was thinking that maybe a simple flash bracket connected at one end to the SD90's tripod mount and extending out in front of the lens can be useful to make a filter holder.
Anyway I'll get the SD90 in about a week and I'll post pictures if I manage to make a filter holder that way.

Something like this? Seems like it would work, though it does add a bit of bulk - maybe you could whip up a more sleek version...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom