1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens Cap ON or OFF?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Coolit, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've had my projector for a few months now, and have often wondered if I really need to put the lens cap on after I've finished using it. The reason I ask is that at the minute I do, but its ceiling mounted therefore not just a case of walking over and fixing it on. The room it's in is only used as a HC and not a living space, so I think dust should be at a minimum. I did a forum search and it looks like I'm the first to ask this question :D

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My pj is also ceiling mounted and I leave the cap off. It's too easy to change the focus or zoom when fitting/removing it and that is a pain to readjust.

I have a large & very soft brush to get rid of the dust (specially designed for dusting delicate ornaments etc) - though I find it doesn't get very dusty at all, even tough the room is used as a normal living room.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Same here. Mine is ceiling mounted and I never use the lense cap.
    The lense doesn't seem to get dusty at all.
    I also agree that mucking around with the lense cap tends to unintentially move the focus ring which is much more of pain.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sim2 projectors (except their 3 chip 500E and E Link models) do not have lens caps.

All projector lenses look dusty (even after cleaning) when the projector is on but in reallity a small amount of dust on the lens will not affect picture quality.

I would only recommend cleaning the lens if it has become contaminated with fingerprints etc and even then only using proprietary lens cleaning products you would use on camera lenses.

Jeff

5. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My lense cap is still in my Epson box. :smashin: Only time it'll be going back on is when I box up my projector to renovate my home cinema room in August.

6. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sanyo Z3 has a very nice full length flip up front cover which avoids disturbing the lens and presumably acts like a lens cap and is very easy to operate even when mounted high.

7. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Cool, no more getting on a chair to pop the cap back on then by the sounds of it, cheers guys :thumbsup: