Lens buying in USA

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by alj23, Dec 29, 2006.

1. alj23

alj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi there - I have a Canon 20D and am off to Florida in April - having nosed at some sites in the USA I have seen that the lenses are much cheaper and with the exchange rate as it is now I could get some real bargains.

I want to get a Canon 50mm F/1.8 and probably replace a battered 70-300mm lens

I am going to Orlando (yes doing the Disney thing !!!) has anyone bought lenses out there ?? and any tips or pitfalls ?

Thanks

AJ

2. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I wouldn't have thought there would be any problems buying a lens from abroad, especially since canon lenses have international warranties. I bought mine from HK and have had no problems so far.

3. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Youll be lucky to get a bargain in florida m8, Ive been twice (on holiday) and the first time I was full of hope just like you, and was hoping to get a nikkor 80-200mm f2.8, I did the whole of the 192 and lots of shopping malls, but could not find it any cheaper than I could get it at home..I was really disapointed, the price seems reasonable, however, after realising that there is sales tax to put on any purchase (in the shop) then possibly import duty and vat if you are unlucky enough to get stopped at customs coming home.

The second time (i was looking for a 2x teleplus converter) considered buying one online from new york and having it sent to the villa that we were staying in in florida, but decided that the savings wern't so great.
    I found that the camera shops in florida were so geared for the tourists needs like memory cards and batteries etc, even then memory was stupidly expensive compared to the uk.

There was a guy who posted on here sometime ago, who went to New york and bought a camera then posted the empty box home, so if he got stopped at customs, the camera would appear as being old.

also consider the warranty issues when buying abroad.

4. alj23

alj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
  6. alj23

alj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Lens and two new batteries on way as we speak from the link mentioned above -

Will post more when I get my paws on them !! - can't wait.

AJ