lens advice wanted

happychappy69

Hi,

I have nikon D40 and 18-105 afs and sigma 70-300 apo lenses at this moment in time

what I'm after now is a small prime lens that can double up for scenery and macro - af isn't essential but the lens must meter and be lightweight (as I've nerve damage in right arm - loads of sympathy please:clap: so I don't want to be carrying around heavy lenses)

anyone have any ideas?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I'd have a look at the new 35mm 1.8 DX pretty sure the minimum focusing distance is similar to my tamron 90mm.

Yandros

Hmm, I'd say the new 35mm f1.8 AFS (will AF on a D40), the old 35mm f2, or the 50mm f1.8. I think the old 35mm is actually closer focussing that the new one. Out of the three though, I reckon the 35mm f1.8 is the one to go for, as it's more useful as a walkabout than the 50mm.

You can increase the macro capability by adding closeup filters, a reversing ring, or extension tubes.

Here's the 50mm f1.8 without any closeup attachments...

DSC_2626-final-borders-small.jpg

sdb123

Distinguished Member
You could look at the older Nikon lens offerings...something like the 55mm micro-nikkor. Yes, it would be manual-focus but it has great optics and is a dedicated macro lens.

Yandros

You could look at the older Nikon lens offerings...something like the 55mm micro-nikkor. Yes, it would be manual-focus but it has great optics and is a dedicated macro lens.

Good point. The new 60mm micro nikkor might work as well. Depends on what sort of landscape work the OP has in mind

sdb123

Distinguished Member
I tell you what is a cracking Nikon prime that would be ideal for landscape work...the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. It has a closer focusing distance than most macro lenses!

You should be able to pick up a 'fair' condition one off of e-Bay for around £85.

:)

happychappy69

Hi sdb123, I'm assuming that this will meter on a D40 - on a further note did you mean the nikon 28mm ai-s?

Last edited:

happychappy69

hi yandros,
so will the old 35mm meter on the d40?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom