Lenovo Tab 4 8inch and 10inch Plus

You can get new HUDL2 batteries for just £10 ish I believe
Well worth it.
And I think the charging circuits are cheap also.
Link please?

So, really the HUAWEI MediaPad M3
I'd want to see a Hudl side by side against the like of the Lenovo to believe it.
That said the Galaxy S2 did well also, but there seems to be different versions of it!
The T813 showing as good, but they dont seem to tell you that in the shop adverts
I don't know about the different versions, but Damir thought the S2 was great, at least level with the iPad, and cheaper (plus the micro sd slot)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for that.
I'm pleased to see it's got Android 7. That's at least a plus from what I thoughts :)

Oreo wise, it seems it's officially un-clear:
These Galaxy devices will be updated to Android 8.0 Oreo (updated: December 8)

Not that, this would be end of the world for me. As long as it's Nougat which yours is.

So I'm pleased about that.... Thanks :)

Whilst just looking for reviews on tablets on YouTube, I randomly stumbles across this:
It's not a long video, but at 30 seconds in, you can see what shocked me:

Now, I can 100% say, I'm NOT buying this for gaming, but still, that looks a bit, ummmmm.

If you compare the video above (at 30 seconds in)
With this one below at 2:12 in (the same point in the demo) on the two Lenovo tablets.

Something to think about perhaps?
Not that I'm into gaming on tablets, as I say, but it's quite dramatic

If these tests are downloading stuff from the internet under wireless, rather than running from internal storage, the test might not be fair.... The first device can hog the bandwidth, depending on router and tablet,...

I was really just focusing on the smoothness of that 3D graphical demo/example.

Makes me a little annoyed/dismayed when products for sale today (android tablets) are running worse than something from 2 years ago.

One would like to think we all move forwards each year, but many seem to keep using old chipsets for save, what can only be like $5.

I'm almost suffering from the problem I often find, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.
You think £150 item, that's not bad.
Oh look a £200 one that;s better.
Well, I'm going to be using it every day, for perhaps 2 or 3 years, so seems silly not to get the better one for just £50 more.

Then, oh look, that £250 one seems really nice. Well I kinda settled on 200, but this is only £50 more.

Before you know where you are, you are at £350+ when you initially were thinking £150 ;)

Popped down local Currys Superstore this afternoon and had a little fiddle.

They had a Lenovo Tab4 Plus 10
Which thankfully was powered up.
Unfortunately no internet, so was unable to play music, I may go back and use my mobile as a hotspot and link it up, it I decided I'd get one.

I like the two speakers, at least making an effort to face forwards.

Build wise, felt pretty premium, glass front and back, nice and thin, quite rigid.
All in all, quite impressive.
Screen nice and clear, and bright, general scrolling around the few bits I could seemed more than acceptable.

Two personal issues about what I saw:

1: Don't like the White, as it's that, not quite white white, looks like it needs a clean white.
But I'd probably go for black anyway as whilst it's boring, black is still always the best colour? to frame a graphical display as a boarder.

2: What Idiot! decided to put a plastic 90# angled point all around the outside.
It's like SCREAMING. Please dent/damage me.

Perhaps they were thinking, people can get their nails under the edge to lift it up, but it just looks so prone to getting damage:

3edaf6afd1c015b3e30dd4311bc63def.png

Other than that design issue (needs a case) physically looks really nice.

Like to know how long it lasts when you just let the screen blank, say at night, and pick it up the following day, 24 hours later, and how much the batter has gone down, whilst just sitting there.

Thanks. Went back to look at this.
It's kinda starting to look like this 10" model, it quite a well balanced machine.

Thanks. Went back to look at this.
It's kinda starting to look like this 10" model, it quite a well balanced machine.
.. But remember the yoga 3 plus 10 has a better screen. An equally good processor

Are Lenovo updating their tablets now, when i had one it never received a single update.

.. But remember the yoga 3 plus 10 has a better screen. An equally good processor

Indeed.
£50 more for the Yoga 3 plus 10
It seems to have a better speaker, better battery life. Higher resolution screen, and the metal kickstand (if you like that style - which I can imagine you either love or hate)
And seems to perform even better than the Tab4 Plus, on that benchmark

But it's a older model and on an older version of Android, with, I'm sure no hope of any upgrades.

Grrrrr

It's sooooooooooooo annoying, so I buy a newer slightly worse model with updates.
Or £50 for a older slightly better model with no updates.

Someone needs a slap!

Ahhh for the goold old days when purchases were simple.
Oh hell, even Apple.

Why do these other brands keep kicking out models worse than the previous ones, and using these old chipsets.

:(

Indeed.
£50 more for the Yoga 3 plus 10
It seems to have a better speaker, better battery life. Higher resolution screen, and the metal kickstand (if you like that style - which I can imagine you either love or hate)
And seems to perform even better than the Tab4 Plus, on that benchmark

But it's a older model and on an older version of Android, with, I'm sure no hope of any upgrades.

Grrrrr

It's sooooooooooooo annoying, so I buy a newer slightly worse model with updates.
Or £50 for a older slightly better model with no updates.

Someone needs a slap!

Ahhh for the goold old days when purchases were simple.
Oh hell, even Apple.

Why do these other brands keep kicking out models worse than the previous ones, and using these old chipsets.

:(
Regarding the older software.... Read my slightly earlier post, my yoga 3 plus 10 , updated itself to Nougat 7.1.1 two days ago. A pleasant new years and unexpected gift.
There are two things it misses, .. no fingerprint detector and no fm radio, which I think the tab 4 has, but the screen resolution is lovely and the battery power excellent. It has a different chipset than the tab 4. Using the snapdragon 652 not the 625!!!??? , Which is supposed to be more power hungry, but then it has a bigger battery.
It may not be as sleek as the glass backed tab4, and has this plastic faux lather back panel.. which is good for gripping. , But for me it ticks all the boxes I need ticking.

Last edited:
I think the yoga 3+ is great, but Tempest was thinking of an 8" tablet, presumably as he doesn't want a heavy device in bed. The Tab 4+10 isn't too big, and could work, but the yoga is a lot heavier - great on a table, not so good in bed IMO.

I will admit, there is something I like about the "Yoga 3 plus 10"

Well, there is a LOT to like.
Great screen resolution, Superb Battery life, Supposed to be great speakers.
Speed is even better then the Tab4 Plus.

I did not realise it has been updated to 7.1.1, which is excellent news.
The design is kinda quirky which is nice :)

I like that the Tab4 has a Flash with the Camera.

It Feels like now is NOT the time to buy.

Spring should see new models coming out, so I'm thinking, whilst money is burning a hole in my pocket. If I'm honest, my Hudl 2 is still working perfect for what I actually need.

So, perhaps I'll be keeping a keen eye, for 2018 models coming soon

As they have the Tab4, which came in Spring 2017 I believe.
How about a Yoga Tab4 for this spring?

I will admit, there is something I like about the "Yoga 3 plus 10"

Well, there is a LOT to like.
Great screen resolution, Superb Battery life, Supposed to be great speakers.
Speed is even better then the Tab4 Plus.

I did not realise it has been updated to 7.1.1, which is excellent news.
The design is kinda quirky which is nice :)

I like that the Tab4 has a Flash with the Camera.

It Feels like now is NOT the time to buy.

Spring should see new models coming out, so I'm thinking, whilst money is burning a hole in my pocket. If I'm honest, my Hudl 2 is still working perfect for what I actually need.

So, perhaps I'll be keeping a keen eye, for 2018 models coming soon

As they have the Tab4, which came in Spring 2017 I believe.
How about a Yoga Tab4 for this spring?
" great speakers ?? " , Anyone who thinks so needs their head or at least their ears examined. Loud yes , hi fi ?????. You must be joking, But the sound from good headphones is superb.

I was under the impressed, based upon reviews I have watched.
Sadly not from personal experience, that the Yoga Tab 3 had the best speakers of this "range" of android tablets.

" great speakers ?? " , Anyone who thinks so needs their head or at least their ears examined. Loud yes , hi fi ?????. You must be joking,
Who said hi-fi? People watch TV, youtube etc on tablets, often using the built in speakers. The built in speakers on the yoga 3+ 10 are supposed to be better than on other tablets. That's a good thing. I don't think anyone claimed hi-fi sound from it.

Who said hi-fi? People watch TV, youtube etc on tablets, often using the built in speakers. The built in speakers on the yoga 3+ 10 are supposed to be better than on other tablets. That's a good thing. I don't think anyone claimed hi-fi sound from it.
My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, yes they are loud, and you can use them for movies , youtube clips etc they are ok, but why 5they bothered putting in Dolby atmos defeats me. However the sound is very good if headphones are used. They may well be better than most , but better is relative none of themare good.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, yes they are loud, and you can use them for movies , youtube clips etc they are ok, but why 5they bothered putting in Dolby atmos defeats me. However the sound is very good if headphones are used. They may well be better than most , but better is relative none of themare good.

I was very impressed with the tab 4 plus' speakers, the dolby atmos test clip was excellent, definitely provided a surround effect to the audio that was very convincing.

Yes they aren't on a level with decent headphones but they are far better than most and easy to listen to where some can be a painful experience.

To be fair, I have a totally amazing little BlueTooth Speaker, made by ANKER.
It's the one with the "I can't believe it's still working, I can't remember the last time I charged it" battery life.
Sits at the back of my pillow on my bed frame, and when in bed watching YouTube, I press the speakers power button, and it links to my tablet.
I don't have it on LOUD. No need, late at night, but it gives a much warmer, richer sound than you get in a mobile device.
The other reason of course is that, (I'm assuming) this will save battery life on the tablet also, just beaming out the bluetooth signal, as opposed to powering it's own speakers.

Its the Anker Soundcore with a 24 hour battery life.
I use it for about a hour each night, and I'm sure it lasts even longer than 24 hours.
It's never run out of battery on me, it's just sometimes I think.... I can't remember the last time I charged it, so I stick it on charge :)

Stopped into the local Super Store area yesterday, a few small items to get, and thought I'd pop into Currys again, and I may just, spur of the moment get that Lenovo Tab 4 Plus for £199 after a new play with it in-store.
Got to the display stand, and was shocked to see they were playing "silly buggers" with the pricing again, and slapped an extra £100 onto it, in the last week, so it was £299.

Just checked on the website and it's still showing as on sale at £199
Was £299.99 (from 01/01/2018 to 04/01/2018)

So I'm certain all they are doing is the "dubiously legal practice" of reaming it up £100 for a week or so, so they can then take the £100 off and say WOW sale £100 off, before putting the £100 back on, and keep repeating the process. :(

(as in a really nice cordless vacuum I bought from them on Black Friday. It was like £250 reduce to £150, after i bought it, it was back to £250, and now it's back to £260 again)

But anyway............ Seeing as I was not going to pay £299 it gave me a better time to have a play with some different tablets.
Will admit, I kept flipping between the Samsung Tab A and the Lenovo tab 4 plus 10"
It really tells you a lot more than specs can, when you get to use them almost side by side.
I'd have to say, after about 10 - 15 mins, I'd really have to give it to the Samsung.
The speed/responsiveness of the UI was a lot more snappy in reality, the way the screens moved between multiple pages, was lovely on the samsung. The Screen seemed much brighter/clearer and cleaner.
Call me odd, but i preferred the plastic back on the samsung over the glass on the Lenovo.
I know it's stuck on people's minds that plastic = bad, aluminium/glass = great, but in reality I thin I'm going in the other direction. As long as it's nice plastic of course, and it's a otherwise quality/rigid product.

I tried the speakers (annoyingly the Samsung was no on the internet) but it has some demo files with some music.

In a GIANT store, with noise around, such speakers are never going to perform well, but there was very little between them.

I expected the Lenovo with it's twin front to be way better, but in reality, they were pretty much identical. In store, I tested both, and moved the slider to 50% volume, and at normal distance in the store, you could only just hear something at this level, and they were both the same.

Just personally, despite it being cheaper, and older, the Samsung, just looks and feels a more premium product.

Given the Samsung TabA is not a 2016 product (almost 2 years old)
I guess I really really would love them to do a refresh. Even though it seems fine. I'm just struggling paying the same price now for a 2 year old product.

The Tab 3 is nice, but it's Wayyyyyyyyy over what I wish to pay £500 ish.

Tab 2 which was £229 (right now it's back up to £299 in Currys game playing price)

Given the Tab A 10" is £179

£50 more to drop 2" but much more premium and faster.

Still feel a little torn.

Careful with the Curry's version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10. It doesn't have the USB-C port. I asked the Curry's sales bloke about this and he confirmed there was no USB port.

Careful with the Curry's version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10. It doesn't have the USB-C port. I asked the Curry's sales bloke about this and he confirmed there was no USB port.
I wouldn't expect any version of the Tab A to have usb-c, but they'll have a micro usb. They won't have 'no USB port'.

You mean the 8" S2? Currently at £229, the 10" is £299.

Sorry, yes, I was not paying attention when I was typing these messed up model numbers ;)

Tab, Galaxy, S, A, whatever ;)

You are quite right. they appear to be identical, other than obviously 8" vs 9.7" screen size & Battery capacity (mAh) 4000 vs 5870

I wonder if the not inconsiderable larger battery 46% BIGGER same CPU & Screen rez so it's just to illuminate the extra screen size, one would imagine the battery life should be noticeably better (I;m guessing of course)

Money is burning a hole in my pocket! but I still feel now is the wrong time to wait, as either may be due to a 2018 refresh. Unless they have given up on Android Tablets totally and going full bore on chrome tabs?

Actually, saying that.
I am getting the gut feeling, based upon what we are seeing in the shops, or what we are NOT seeing in the shops, together with some articles, which is pretty much hinting that, Chrome OS, which runs Android Apps is the direction we are now, very much heading off into.

I use Google for Email, Calendar, Contacts, Also the much underrated? Google Keep.
(Don't use the office suite as I have Msoft Office 365 for that)

And I have looked at chromebooks fleetingly.
I'm not up to speed on what model to what.
Putting the crazy pixel models aside due to cost. I would be interested if there was something Tablet wise on the Chromebook/Android front.

Optional keyboard?

I don't want a laptop, as that becomes a whole different beast then, than a easy to carry around tablet.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom