• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lenovo T500 vs ?

Stuart Baron

Standard Member
Hey all on AV Forums.

I have been looking for a laptop for quite a while now and recently sold me beast gaming machine so have exactly £500 to spend.

One of my friends can get me a great deal (his words) on a:

Lenovo Thinpad T500 2056-CG4
Original description: P8600(2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, 160GB 7200rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn wireless, WWAN upgradeable, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, Ultranav, Secure chip, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

I have Windows 7 Ultimate at home waiting for the laptop so O/S will be upgraded instantly.

Having a look around and thinking I am now too old to play my PC for games and use my PS3 for it, all it is really going to do is;
Download
Stream to PS3 with Media Server
Web browsing
Watching a few movies
Maybe make/edit a film from videos/photos from my Lumix TZ7
Possibly a few old skool games, Steam etc.
Have several 1.TB External HDDs space isnt a real issue.

Do you think this is a good price or should I look at getting something else maybe like this from Amazon for the same price:

Sony VAIO EB1EOE 15.5 Inch Notebook (Core i3-330M 2.13GHz, 3Gb, 320Gb, DVDRW, Webcam, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit)

What do you think? As I know the T500 is an old model, its now the T501, thats probably how he is getting such a good deal, but I want to make the right choice - and a review I found somewhere (cant remember) said its a powerful machine, but I think that was beginning 2009, end 2008 and a lot happens in between then and now!

Stuart Baron

Standard Member

Stuart Baron

Standard Member

Iccz

Distinguished Member
My girlfriend sent me this link and said she will give me the extra £100...

Acer Aspire 5740G, 15.6inch HD LED LCD, Notebook, 4GB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Notice the G after the 5740 - this means it has dedicated graphics - if you wish to play games on the laptop I would be leaning more towards this one, has the i3 in which is a good processor, not quite the i5 but still ample for light use and some gaming.

Not much between them, both will do what you need, I'd be more tempted by the i5 and would probably upgrade the RAM to 4gb, but if I was going to be gaming I'd go for the first of the Acers, the G.

You didn't include prices in your first two posts so can't comment on the prices of them, though the Acer machines are good value for money especially if you want a cheap gaming laptop, the only real alternative for me would be a Dell Studio 15, but with your budget I think the Acer is looking a safer bet.

Stuart Baron

Standard Member

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom