Lenovo Q190, intel nuc or ?????

colonelblighty

I recently ran into some streaming issues with my qnap using twonky that started me off searching for new server software. I tried serviio and liked it a bit more than twonky having all my series in nice neat folders in episodic order, that led me to plex which on an Arm 1.2ghz 512ram nas is not really that fluid. I liked the look and feel of it what with movie posters and tv synopsis et al that I thought perhaps now it's time to invest in some new hardware to.....well do any of us really need much of an excuse into updating parts of our setups.

I have the following kit that needs integrating
Samsung plasma tv
Epson pj

Onkyo 608 amp with 1 spare hdmi port
Samsung 3d blu ray player
Lg blu ray/HD-DVD drive
Xbox 360
Ps3 launch edition!

In separate room connected via av500 home plugs is the qnap with a 3tb drive in containing all tv, music and small movie files and my old 1.5tb drive in an esata enclosure that I connect to the qnap that will house uncompressed blu ray mkv's

The amp hdmi output goes into a splitter that feeds the tv and the pj but generally we watch films on the pj.

My aim is to get that 'plex' experience on the tv for when I want to watch a show but also to be able to do the same on the pj when accessing the mkv fles.

So I've kind of narrowed down my choice to a Lenovo Q190 or a celeron intel nuc as my budget is restricted to £250 max I'm kind of leaning to the intel as it has the dual hdmi outs so I could connect to both the amp and the tv and maybe use xbmc or a variant to feed them but then I think the lenovo represents good value for money over the intel but I am unsure how I could get the experience on both displays with only one hdmi out.

I am open to alternative suggestions.

Edit: forgot I've also got a harmony remote I'd like to be able to use for it all to make it family friendly.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom