Lenovo laptop running really slow unusable almost 1 year used.

YKW95

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi , I have a lenovo thinkbook 15 core i3 1tb 4gm ram almost 1 year old after a few months of use this thing ate the harddrive got its bios corrupted in the process of fixing it so I replaced it with a 500 gb hdd. The problem is that its extremely sluggish freezes once in a while unable to play heavy games like world of tanks(Which was so since buying it new). In the task manager the RAM usage is always above 75% average of about 80 percent while other parameters seems fine without any major programs open. Its a pain to use this slow computer so it just sits on my shelf I need to get this thing fixed can someone help me.
So far fixes I tried.
  • Tried reinstalling windows 10 almost a dozen times.
  • replaced failing hdd.
  • tried a bunch of internet fixes using regedit and services.msc no use.
RAM.PNG

I used alot of money to buy this laptop now its such a loss, never trusting Lenovo again.

4GB of RAM is borderline for Windows 10 64bit. I take it SSD not regular spinning HD?

I have only few apps running now, P2P, Foobar, Fireox (with three open tabs) and I'm at 4.7GB usage.

Whether it should be halting, perhaps other issues, especially with corrupted BIOS and damaged HD.

4GB of RAM is borderline for Windows 10 64bit. I take it SSD not regular spinning HD?

I have only few apps running now, P2P, Foobar, Fireox (with three open tabs) and I'm at 4.7GB usage.

Whether it should be halting, perhaps other issues, especially with corrupted BIOS and damaged HD.
No its a new 500 gb HDD, Could it be a RAM issue?
The bios is fixed the slowness was there since it was brand new I couldn't play games on it.

It's solid state hard drive, right not the old rotational drives?

Problem is I think most Lenevo laptops RAM are soldered on, so you can't even try another stick, if onboard RAM is faulty you're stuck.

It's solid state hard drive, right not the old rotational drives?

Problem is I think most Lenevo laptops RAM are soldered on, so you can't even try another stick, if onboard RAM is faulty you're stuck.
Its not an SDD regular hdd.
I have opened this up and saw the 2 RAM slots they are removable but I'm not 100% sure that its a RAM issue.
What a luck to find a new laptop with a faulty HDD and Possibly RAM.

That's probably reason why, if it's spinning 2.5" HDD.

Are you 100% sure, any newish laptop will either have M2/NVME or 2.5" SATA.

If the hard drive makes a slight whirring noise its the old style spinning drives.

That's probably reason why, if it's spinning 2.5" HDD.

Are you 100% sure, any newish laptop will either have M2/NVME or 2.5" SATA.

If the hard drive makes a slight whirring noise its the old style spinning drives.
This is the harddisk That is in use that replaced the faulty 1TB hdd that had made the laptop unusable,it makes no noise.
HDD

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That's why it's slow. Low amount of ram and spinning hd . When I used a 2.5" HDD spinning drive in a desktop, booting and loading apps was slow but once it was loaded it was ok but it had 8gb of ram so more of the OS filled ram.

Unusual not to have nvme drive in modern laptop.

You need to have os on solid state drive.

Nvme drive is below ram slots so install os to that, with the 2.5" as secondary storage.

Add another module at least another 4gb stick.

I'd do intense ram check on the existing module(s)

Unusual not to have nvme drive in modern laptop.
I'm kind of old school from the time of intel pentium 2 so I trusted HDD's to run fine since my older computers worked fine apart from the few failure however new HDD's seem to get alot of hate for the right reasons also everything on this laptop is so cheap, it came with a faulty HDD.

Get a small nvme drive . Regular hard drives are just too slow for the OS.

A hard drive and 4GB of memory might not be the snappiest system around, but I doubt they're the cause of it being unusably slow.

One thing that does look suspicious in your screenshot is the CPU's clockspeed. 27% load and just coming down from higher, yet it's only running at 1.24Ghz? Is that normal? If the CPU is around that sort of speed under load then I'd suspect it's throttling. If it's only a year old it's probably not power throttling from a worn out battery which suggests it may be heat related - perhaps there's something wrong with the cooling system.

Also I'd advise against making random changes to core system components like services and the registry before you've identified the cause of the problem. If you are going to do that then make sure you reverse the changes as soon as you've seen they have no effect as those sorts of configuration changes can cause further issues down the line.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom