Lenovo laptop + docking station

Fadburty

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have a work laptop I suspect it is the following model

lenovo 20jtsor600

I want to know have three screens connected to the laptop but would I require a docking station like a Lenovo thunderbolt - can someone please kindly advise?

Hi all I have a work laptop I suspect it is the following model

lenovo 20jtsor600

I want to know have three screens connected to the laptop but would I require a docking station like a Lenovo thunderbolt - can someone please kindly advise?

There are no matches for the model number so not sure what the specs of the laptop are, maybe input the model on Lenovo's own support site or let it scan the computer to find the model.

3 is should be possible (with resolution limitations) just depends on the connections the laptop has, for example there are USB3 video adapters that can drive 1080p 60Hz displays.

20JT appears to be the internal name for the Thinkpad T470s.

I couldn't find the exact configuration that the rest of the name will refer to listed on lenovo's website. It could be a typo or it may not be listed.

But looking at the other T470s configurations they're generally listed as supporting three independent displays and having USB-C and HDMI outputs.

It doesn't go into details as to whether there's any combination limitations but HDMI only supports one display so DisplayPort (USB-C almost always refer to DisplayPort Alternate Mode) would be the way to go.

The functionality you need for connecting multiple monitors to a displayport output is called an MST Hub. A USB-C (or thunderbolt) dock will generally incorportate that along with additional functionality like a USB hub or ethernet or sound hardware.

So you don't strictly need a dock, but its likely the simplest and cheapest solution these days.

I couldn't find the exact configuration that the rest of the name will refer to listed on lenovo's website. It could be a typo or it may not be listed.

But looking at the other T470s configurations they're generally listed as supporting three independent displays and having USB-C and HDMI outputs.

It doesn't go into details as to whether there's any combination limitations but HDMI only supports one display so DisplayPort (USB-C almost always refer to DisplayPort Alternate Mode) would be the way to go.

The functionality you need for connecting multiple monitors to a displayport output is called an MST Hub. A USB-C (or thunderbolt) dock will generally incorportate that along with additional functionality like a USB hub or ethernet or sound hardware.

So you don't strictly need a dock, but its likely the simplest and cheapest solution these days.
Hi thank you for the reply, I will try and have a look on the Lenovo website to see if I can scan the model. I'm not too sure if I can find this info whilst logging on the laptop.

It is a work laptop. It had one HDMI output, a type c too (currently I have one HDMI cable to one screen and a type c adaptor to hdmi connecting to the second screen but it looks really messy, and I'm trying to figure out how to connect to a third screen. The Lenovo thunderbolt I read could be an option but it is quite expensive and not 100% sure if it will work?

Thunderbolt adds extra functionality to USB-C but I believe it is compatible with all USB-C stuff so it would work. But the extra thunderbolt stuff is not supported by your laptop and makes it more expensive. A thunderbolt dock is probably not a good option unless you envisage work giving you Thunderbolt equipment in future.

What resolution and what connections do your existing two monitors have, and what resolution would the third be?

Thunderbolt adds extra functionality to USB-C but I believe it is compatible with all USB-C stuff so it would work. But the extra thunderbolt stuff is not supported by your laptop and makes it more expensive. A thunderbolt dock is probably not a good option unless you envisage work giving you Thunderbolt equipment in future.

What resolution and what connections do your existing two monitors have, and what resolution would the third be?
The two monitor screens I have is a Illyama pro lite xub2492HSU.....

On screen is connected by hdmi to the laptop. The second screen is connected by a type c adaptor to hdmi

I can confirm the laptop is T470s

Thank you for the reply :)

Something like this?

Thank you for the reply :)

Something like this?

That should work, although that one only had two video outputs so you might want to look for one with three if you find the current setup messy.

The combined resolution of all screens is limited to the maximum supported by the USB-C output but your current ones aren't particularly high so that shouldn't be an issue unless you wanted a very high resolution third monitor.

That should work, although that one only had two video outputs so you might want to look for one with three if you find the current setup messy.

The combined resolution of all screens is limited to the maximum supported by the USB-C output but your current ones aren't particularly high so that shouldn't be an issue unless you wanted a very high resolution third monitor.
I'm not much of a gamer tbh, and this is all for work purposes more than anything.

Browsing the net, YouTube videos at most.

What kind of features should I look at when looking to buy one? Do you recommend any that's below £60? Thanks

I haven't kept up with the individual models of dock being released so I can't help with recommendations there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom