Length of HDMI cable and Magic eye

allanh2603

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Can you help please, I have just bought a samsung 3d tv and my sky hd box is approx 10m away, can I get a hdmi cable that long and would it be ok at 10m away from the tv ? Also can I split the hdmi cable at the back of the sky box as it is currently linked by a magic eye ?

Also can I split the hdmi cable at the back of the sky box as it is currently linked by a magic eye ?

Don't understand. What has a HDMI cable got to do with a magic eye?
Why is this not in the HD and 3D forum?

OK, I think I understand now. I think you were previously watching Sky via RF2.

HDMI is a separate cable to be used in conjunction with your RF2 cable.

I think what I was trying to get at is - would the magic eye still work the tv downstairs
What I have is a hd box in a bedroom upstairs with a standard tv, we then have a 3d tv downstairs joined by the magic eye. I can not get the sky 3d channel (channel 217) to to work on this tv (i know its because I need to join them by a HDMI cable) but can I split the HDMI cable at the sky box upstairs and get a 15 meter HDMI cable to the tv downstairs . Would the signal be strong enough with the length of the cable ?

Keep the coax cable purely for the magic eye. Use the hdmi purely for video and audio,

Last edited by a moderator:
can I split the HDMI cable at the sky box upstairs and get a 15 meter HDMI cable to the tv downstairs . Would the signal be strong enough with the length of the cable ? If so what is the spec for splitter box and hdmi cable

Welcome to AVF, though as S N mentioned you posted in the wrong sub-forum and had to be moved here.
The Sky machine and the new TV really ought to be in the same room connected by a short HDMI cable.
If they have to be in different rooms then a long HDMI cable would probably work, but would be clumsy.
If the TV that's with the Sky machine is only "standard" it doesn't have an HDMI input socket so there's nothing to split the Sky output for.
If it's more than just standard and does have an HDMI input socket then you could try an HDMI splitter on the Sky output but they're notoriously unreliable.
You'd be better using a separate Scart or other connection for the Sky machine to that TV.
If you have to go for the long HDMI cable then as glt says you still need the coax cable as well, for the "magic eye" remote control.

Last edited:
I'm also needing to run an HDMI cable to bedroom from downstairs Sky box (via a splitter). Had been thinking of running coax cable too for magic eye control but have seen new HDMI magic eyes are now available - 2 adapters with 'eyes' that connect to each end of HDMI cable.

Anyone have any experience of these?

It's news to me but I'd still use an ordinary IR extender instead of either.

Yes, I noticed - Snap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom