Legless in the street

jomike

Prominent Member
Reaction score
No, not an example of extreme street photography, but a legless lizard. A Slowworm to be exact. My wife found it trying to cross the street outside our house, and called me. I caught it (not so easy despite the name, they are slippery suckers!) and set up an improvised softbox. (plastic container lit by the sun) Set it free in the backyard after the shoot to go catch some slugs and snails, hopefully.

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)

Mike

Nice shots Mike, I used to see slow worms quite often in my parents garden when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in the wild or years :(

these are good, especially since i just got my tamron 90mm in today and having a quick play about with it i know its not gonna be the easiest thing to use!

any tips on good macro shots with it???

Thanks all :smashin:

We seem to be quite lucky here, we regularly get these in the garden, as well as frogs, toads, newts, lizards and also adders not too far from my house (but not in the garden, thank goodness).

these are good, especially since i just got my tamron 90mm in today and having a quick play about with it i know its not gonna be the easiest thing to use!

any tips on good macro shots with it???

Use a small aperture (I usually use f16) to maximise your depth of field. You might sometimes need flash to get correct exposure, I use my on board flash with a home made diffuser. A flashgun would be better, but also needs a diffuser.

Try and get the subject square on to the camera to get best depth of field.

Set the lens on manual and focus by moving the camera back and forth.

Always try and support your arms on something or use a tripod.

Enjoy the Tammy 90, its a great lens, for macro as well as portraits.

Mike

Looks like a tricky thing to shoot. I imagine it wriggles around all over the place rather than keeping still. Suppose you could always put it in the fridge for a while to cool it down and make it slower though :devil:.

FYI - On the One Show (BBC TV) tonight there was a short piece on slow worms and it was pointed that they are a protected species now.

FYI - On the One Show (BBC TV) tonight there was a short piece on slow worms and it was pointed that they are a protected species now.

I was aware that they are protected, and technically I was breaking the law by handling it without a permit. However, the alternative was to leave it in the road to be run over.

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom