Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Legitimate downloading of games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Mr.D, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    What with HL2 recently being available over the Steam network this seems to have divided quite a lot of the gaming community Some people , myuself included see this as a worthwhile development . Others resent what they see as an unecessary invasion of their privacy what with the need to pass personal details along to a company merely to play one of their games.

I for one would probably buy more games if the majority of them were available for download , just wondering what other people think.

2. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, some people pirate games just out of convenience - why go down town to look for a game that might not even be in stock, or have to wait a couple of days by ordering it online when you can just go onto kazaa or bittorrent. If more companies offer downloads piracy might decrease a bit.

Personally though, I prefer to own a hardcopy of the game.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    There is also talk of a "Phantom" like service for the future, where you just download and play everything without ever needing a hard copy.

I doubt that the Phantom console itself will ever take off, but the idea is sound.

I felt comfortable with HL2 through steam and I havent felt the need to buy a hard copy. Its pointless anyway as you need to go online to activate any copy of HL2 before you can play it.

Still, theres always a risk if your PC breaks down or if for some reson you loose your Internet conection. Theres also the problem of bandwith bottle necks.

Still its a good start.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Games downloading (like Steam) is great IMO.

All you need to get round this is that you have an online acount which records the games you own. You can then download a copy of the game whenever you want from the server. Therefore if you change comps or your comp breaks down you can just download the game again for free. You could also have it so that when you subscribe to the service you get a dongle for your computer that identifies you when you go on to download games. This dongle could contain personalised information that allows you and noone else access to your account.

Downloading is definatelly the way forward when you consider how much it costs to bring games to us via the middlemen (i.e. the retailer). Around 40-50% of what you pay for a game in the shops goes to the retailer & the distributors, a very small percentage (1-3%) into manufacturing disc & packaging and the rest to the developer. Developers could quite easily sell new games over the internet for £15-£20 and make a decent profit.

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wasnt HL2 £40 odd wuid online though?
    theres no way on earth that id pay over £10 a piece of software that could only be burnt to a cdr etc. if im going to buy game, i want a case, cover and a pressed CD/DVD for my troubles at least.
    the whole steam affair imo is complete crap.valve must have missed out on alot of people getting HL2 due to the simple fact that there are many pc gamers out there who dont have an internet connection or for some other reason cant get their machine online.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209

That's pretty much how steam works. You can dl the games you've bought to as many computers as you want as long as you put steam on them and don't play online games on more than one machine at a time. If your machine gets hosed then you just login to steam on your new machine and redownload all the games again.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    If you must keep a hard copy of the game then just buy a stack of cases, print out your covers and keep your burnt CD in it. Personally I see boxed games as a pointless waste of time and the only reason they exist is due to there being no better way to distribute the games until now. All they do is take up space in my drawers & on my shelves and the only reason some people still want boxes etc is because that's the way it's always been.

Infact on this topic I heard that Napster are now seriously looking into games & movie downloading and it's only going to be a matter of time until it starts seriously competing with traditional distribution methods. As Broadband speeds get faster & faster (with 2mb & 3mb connections now becoming more widely available) we will see this distribution method increase rapidly.

Games downloading should finally eradicate piracy (if they do it right) and distribution, packaging & retailers costs will all (pretty much) go out of the window! These factors alone should see both the price of games drop significantly as well as growing profits for games companies. Growing profits will hopefully lead to companies being able to spend more on games development as well. We should therefore end up with better and cheaper games which are easier for people to get hold of. Supply should never be an issue again so everyone who wants the game on release day should be able to get it (providing enough servers are provided).

I do think that the indusrty needs to fully move down this route before we see big reductions in the cost of games. As long as the more primative distribution channels exist they will tend to be subsidised by the downloaded games (such as HL2 was).