Legendary krell kps-20i is coming - any good ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Reuben.F, May 6, 2007.

1. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On tuesday i will be delivered the Legendary krell kps-20i and its my first hi-end cd player :clap:

I am aware that cd playback systems have advanced very much in the last 10 years (the Krell is 9) but i've been reading up on this machine and even now it would appear to be pretty much state-of-the-art.

Anyone have experience with this player ?, i am expecting to be blown away by its sonics :) , just hope it gets here in one piece...

Reuben

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Reuben....like many older high-end pieces of equipment,I think you'll find that whilst some advances have been made,that the initial standards of the item were high enough for it still to be a very capable player.

The build quality in all aspects is superb,and the sound quality should still be very good.....a lot of older Wadia and Levinson players are also still very capable,and I would think you'll be pleased.

3. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The only thing i'd recommend to purchasers of older CD players is to check the availability of the laser mech. Some older ones are no longer available, and there's no equivalents. Some manufacturers will 'refurbish' your existing one, but i don't think there's a guarantee as to how long they last. That was the case when i bought my Meridian 602 transport anyway. It's a shame really as there are some fantastic CD players out there built to last a lifetime, but are limited by the most important part of the unit.

Anyway, as Alexs2 states, i'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

Very good point and one thats often overlooked....I've got a couple of transports here( a TAG and a TEAC VRDS),both of which work very well,and thankfully transports are available for each.

It may be worth looking into sourcing at least the laser,if not the transport mechanism as spares.

5. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, if it turns out as good as i expect then i might even ditch the old turntable, just can't be bothered with record cleaning etc anymore, this player is said to sound very "analog".

Reuben

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

No...dont do it!

Keep the T/t and the vinyl...at least it offers another persepctive on music,and whilst I dont always feel like setting up the vinyl end of mine,I still enjoy it very much when I want to.

Getting back onto the Krell.....I think you'll be surprised....I found the bass definition and power of many high-end players is quite something,although I do think a good vinyl system has the edge in some areas.

7. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That is the only problem i have with buying this player, the compete laser unit is not available new anymore, i'm already preparing for the day it packs up, did some research.

It uses the CDM9 Pro mech, but the actual laser can be interchanged with the standard CDM9, which means there is some chance of repair when i does finally fail, if the motor fails then thats another story.

This could well be the last cd player i buy, can't wait for tuesday !

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Personally, i think players over £1k should be serviceable for 20 years. Anyone who has dug deep into their hard earned savings to invest in a decent player from a particular manufacturer deserves to get their moneys worth from it. I don't think 20 years is unreasonable.

9. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the worrying point is that modern hi-fi has become as disposable as most of the modern music played on it, where dvd and cd playback is concerned anyway, anywhere you "see" digital you see massive depreciation in resale value and the older it gets the less chance of repair there is.

its problably the reason i've held off buying a decent player, bit ironic that its 9 years old given the above statement, i'm taking a big chance but hopefully it will payoff.

BTW, i was up at 8am this morning, 4pm i find out the delivery has been delayed till tomorrow, ARRRGGG !!!

Reuben

10. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, the Krell was delivered this morning :)

First impressions are very good, guy recommended a few days warmup time before first use, but i couldn't wait... so i guess it will get even better.

Some cd's i've tried sound very, very good indeed and this is with relatively cheap amps, a cool feature is digital inputs so you can route though its DAC, i tried the Playsation3 connected with a glass optical, result was a pretty massive improvement in SQ :)

btw, This thing is huge, it weighs more the my TT !!

Only problem i can find is the thing makes quite a bit of noise when spinning cd's i'll need to investigate this... what an awesome machine though, i still can't quite believe its sat here on my stand.

ok, gotta get back to the krell :)

Reuben

11. Reuben.F

Reuben.F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've uploaded some images of the player here - http://www.affinity3d.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=273

Also found that the right side LCD is not displaying characters properly, no bigie though, makes it look even more like sci-fi.

Have to say that after 1 day i'm very happy with this, now i'm thinking about an amp upgrade already, like a chain reaction... only problem - there is a good chance, the girlfriend is gonna end me... ;)

Reuben

12. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    That has some serious street cred. I like!
    Do enjoy!