Legendary gear

Nauta

Novice Member
I have a question about Legendary gear.
I'm lvl 40 Light 249 and want to get a piece of Legendary armor. Should I buy a piece of 280 defense from the Titan vanguard or buy an engram from the Cryptarch?

dafnpuppet

Buying engrams gives you the chance of armour / weapons dropping at 290 light whereas buying them from the vendors limits them to 280 light. Kind of a bonus for taking the gamble I suppose but you could end up with armour for a different class.

Nauta

Novice Member
Cool. I thought maybe the engrams would land just above your light level. So if I was 250 it might only give a piece with maybe 265 or so.
But I guess it's worth a try ☺

Sly Fly

Cool. I thought maybe the engrams would land just above your light level. So if I was 250 it might only give a piece with maybe 265 or so.
But I guess it's worth a try ☺
I believe you're right, in that buying engrams or decrpyting engrams picked up will generally be below, or sometimes 10 - 20 above your level as you mentioned above.

However, as Ag has said, it's better to keep your Marks for something else as the quantity of dropped engrams through strikes / missions etc. will have you beyond 280 in no time. You'll then rue purchasing that piece of armour! :)

If you're stuggling for a boost in light level the Ghost @ 280 is probably the best purchase.

Hands of Sponge

I agree with Sly, save your marks then when you are approaching Raiding sort of level (around 280) you can then use them to buy something if there is one area which is dragging your overall light level down. Often tends to be the ghost when first levelling up.

After that stuff starts dropping at higher levels than you can buy anyway so the majority of your marks will go into infusing the stuff you like, or maybe buying that one gun you really like the look of. I still haven't bought me a Hung Jury from DO. :(

silvercue

Distinguished Member
OK I will disagree with everyone here :)

If you are sub 280 and have lower LL armour then buy the armour with stats you like form one of the vendors. This will get you light up much faster which means the engrams you get (that you get from strikes etc) decrypt into much better light level gear.

Then run the strikes and any gear you get will be better and you can use it to infuse the armour you got from the vendor.

Also what engrams are you wanting to buy? The ones from the cryptarch are for year1 stuff aren't they?

EDIT: Looks like I have just been a bit daft and not realised those cryptarch engrams were worth a look.

Last edited:

Hands of Sponge

OK I will disagree with everyone here :)

If you are sub 280 and have lower LL armour then buy the armour with stats you like form one of the vendors. This will get you light up much faster which means the engrams you get (that you get from strikes etc) decrypt into much better light level gear.

Then run the strikes and any gear you get will be better and you can use it to infuse the armour you got from the vendor.

Also what engrams are you wanting to buy? The ones from the cryptarch are for year1 stuff aren't they?

EDIT: Looks like I have just been a bit daft and not realised those cryptarch engrams were worth a look.
I reckon its much of a muchness really.

Doing it your way you would get a boost to level intially. I just know that if I bought say a 280 chest from the vanguard that I liked then I would get plenty of decent chest pieces from engrams and be left with a crappy pair of boots which are holding me back.

I prefer to get to around level 270-ish then see if there is one item holding you back from being a decent light level you can then buy that.

Each to their own though, I didn't find the grind to 280+ to be too bad at all for this DLC. Once you've played the story missions and quests you will be about there.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom