1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legend (R1) packaging

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by smallman28, May 21, 2002.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read of a few things about the packaging for Legend R1,what exactly is supposed to be wrong with it,is it just that some people dont like it or what?
    What sort of case is it?

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Just got mine in the post and have to agree the packaging is poor.

Dont know how to explain really but the best way is have you got Apocolypse now redux R2 ? if so you will know its a card fold over design where the back flap covers the dvd then the front flap covers that one and you slip it in a slip over sleeve.

Well legend cas is similar but its made of plastic and it has no damn sleeve to keep it in to keep it closed and safe.

What where they thinking not supplying a sleeve !!!

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Personally, I thought the "Legend" packaging was at least reasonable, in comparison to some other packaging I've seen on recent DVD's.

However, I can understand why people dislike it. Personally, I'd much prefer it if companies simply stuck to single or double Amaray's, or variants thereof, and nothing else, unless it was really, REALLY necessary.

However, the worst packaging I've seen is the Region 2 release of the 10th Anniversary Edition of "Basic Instinct". Unlike the R1 hard-plastic ice-pick casing, what you get is piece of extremely flimsy, and ultra cheap, clear plastic, sellotaped around a standard Amaray case! What a pile of crap!

Pooch

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I like the packaging.
    However, I got mine from Future Ent and it has a security tab INSIDE the plastic!! :mad: Has anybody figured a way of getting this off without breaking it?

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Lex,

I think all copies of Legend have the Security Tab inside the packaging. Alas, short of destroying the packaging or breaking or cutting it, you'll have to leave it, I think.

Pooch

P.S. This is my 1000th post. Shame it wasn't more of a milestone! :(

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yup, you are right about them all having the security strip! :mad: I just entered Legend into my DVD Profiler collection and even the picture/scan on there has a security tab on it!! :rolleyes:

I do like the packaging though, as I have already said, although it is strange that they have used it for this title - it would be more appropriate for a futuristic style sci-fi disc rather than this one. :confused:

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having a look around on some dvd cover sites and have found a very good one for Legend on www.dvdcoverart.net/
    It is a home made one based on the new region 1 packaging and is of excellent quality,the file is about 3MB in size but it is already the correct size to be printed out as it is.
    Might be worth a look.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Folks,

Well, last night, I finally got around to watching the 2-hour "Director's Cut" of "LEGEND" on DVD.

All I can say is this - what a major disappointment!

I love Ridley Scott, and I think "Legend" itself, is fantastic, however, the longer version has too many faults to recommend it.

DVD-wise, the picture and audio quality are amazing. Sadly, the reinstated footage drags the film down to a snail's pace, and really annoys, as it lends almost nothing new to the characters or storyline.

Jerry Goldsmith's score is horrendous! I have to say that the music does not fit at all well, in any of the scenes, and all I could think of, was Tangerine Dreams music when the film was playing.

The new footage, is mainly extensions of current material, or alternate takes. What little extra footage that has been incorporated, adds nothing to the movie, in my opinion.

Personally, I think it would have been far better for Universal to have released the Theatrical Cut (89 minutes approx) with the DTS soundtrack, and left the longer, Director's Cut (114 minutes) with just a plain Dolby Surround track.

As such, this has to be one of the worst Director's Cuts I've ever watched. Awful! Truly dire! Avoid this at all costs! This should have been so much better.

Pooch

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

In all my time on the avforums this is perhaps the most shocking statement I have ever read! :D

IMHO Jerry Goldsmith's score is a masterpiece, it is a soundtrack I have had in my collection for years and I love it to bits! I'm afraid I cannot even watch the US version of the film with the *shudder* Tangerine *gulp* Dream score in.
    Goldsmith is without doubt one of the greatest composers hollywood has ever known (although for some reason he picks some pretty crappy films sometimes!), and Legend is one of his finest scores, that is why it was such an insult the way they replaced it the way they did.
    I like Legend, it has some great cinematography and some nice moments, but the main reason I bought it was for Goldsmith's score. I was horrified to find that only the tangerine dream version has an isolated score! :(

It just goes to show how different people's tastes are I suppose! ;)

10. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with you Lex.I too love the superb Jerry Goldsmith score for Legend.I also like Tangerine Dream however,and enjoy their score for the American theatrical cut,but Ridley Scott should have stood his ground, like Terry Gilliam did with Universal over the marvelous Brazil,until they released the original version of Legend.

PS The European theatrical cut (approx 90 mins with Goldsmith score) has recently appeared on UK DVD from Fox Video.

11. gene brewer

gene brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Legend is one of Ridley Scotts lesser fims, but ironically I think it is one of Goldsmith's best scores! and I agree, it was an insult to have removed it from the american print!

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Peter Webb said: "PS The European theatrical cut (approx 90 mins with Goldsmith score) has recently appeared on UK DVD from Fox Video."

I was under the distinct impression that ALL UK video and DVD versions have always been of the slightly-censored US Theatrical Cut with the original Tangerine Dream score.

As far as I know, there has never been a Theatrical Cut that used Goldsmith's music!

Pooch

P.S. If you want a laugh, watch BBC2's awful semi-widescreen, hatchet job of "Legend" airing on Monday 3rd June around 4:50pm-6:15pm. It's awful, and has lots of minor cuts for violent content!

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually Pooch it is the other way around. The Tangerine Dream Version was only ever released in the USA, in Europe we have always had the Goldsmith score. ;) The new region one DVD we have just bought is a bigger deal in the US because it is the first time they have seen it.

14. gene brewer

gene brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch you are wrong again!! :D

The region 2 version will definitely be the Goldsmith one. As far as I know the TD version has never been officially released in the uk.

15. Mikael

Mikael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Plays site it says: "Please Note: The original soundtrack (composed by Jerry Goldsmith) has not been included on this DVD release. Apologies for any inconvenience." regarding the R2 DVD. Is this not correct?

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Erm I've never ever seen the Goldsmith version over here ???
    Its always been the TD version.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Well, I don't want to sound rude, but I've NEVER seen any version of "Legend" with the Jerry Goldsmith score, until the Region 1 Ultimate Edition DVD release.

Whenever the film is shown on BBC2, it's always the 85 minute US Theatrical Cut, which is also identical to the UK Theatrical Cut, of which BOTH have the Tangerine Dream score.

When I last saw it at a local arthouse Saturday matinee, it ALSO had the Tangerine Dream score.

Make of that, what you will....! :confused:

Pooch

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    When I saw it when it originally came out I thought it was Jerry Goldsmith who scored it, and like Lex I got the album. But all the times I have seen it on the TV it has had the Tangerine Dream score.
    Wasn’t there some animosity between Jerry Goldsmith and Ridley Scott over the score for the film and one said the would not work with the other again?(help anyone).
    If it is true it is sad, Jerry is one great composer and Ridley doesn’t turn out bad movies either. Look what they turned out together in Alien.

PS imdb has it as Jerry Goldsmith UK theatre release, Tangerine Dream US theatre release.

19. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original 1985 UK theatrical release by Fox definately had the Jerry Goldsmith score,I saw it opening weekend at the Leicester Square Theatre in London.
    All previous video releases have also contained the version with the Goldsmith music,but the BBC obtained the rights to the US theatrical cut,and this is the only version shown thus far on UK terrestrial tv,as far as i'm aware.

20. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think you are being rude Pooch! :D But Peter Webb is correct in what he says, the TD version was only ever officially released in the USA, all other countries kept the Goldsmith version. I guess you just happened to have seen the US cut which personally I have never seen.
    I just can't bring myself to watch the TD version after living with the Goldsmith one for all these years, it would be like watching Star Wars or Lawrence of Arabia with different scores! :eek: :( ;)

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Well you are going to get to see one version on Monday as BBC2 is screening it at 16:50.

22. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Garrett,

The version BBC2 air is a 1.85:1 semi-widescreen version, with the Tangerine Dream score, but has a fair amount of edits for violent and adult content to make it suitable for such an early evening showing.

Also, the credits are either cut, or sped-up to fit the film into a shorter time slot. So, whilst the film has a length of about 85 minutes (PAL) or 89 (NTSC), the PAL TV version will only run to about 81 minutes.

Stick with the US DVD release, regardless of which score you prefer! ;)

Pooch

23. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Any one still interested, I managed to get the security tab out of the case quite easily as it happed once id had a good look at it. All you do is slide a sharp knife down a gap at the top of the plastic. Youll see what I mean when you look and slowly peal it off and pull it out. Took a couple of minutes with no damage.

As to the scores. I didnt realise their were two score's untill one day I was watching Legend on TV. All through the film I was scatching my head wondering what the hell was wrong and why I couldnt get into it. Once the credits came up at the end all was clear JG came up instead of TD. It was a bit of a shock I didnt realise a Movie ever got released with two scores. Good thing though in this case.

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Just got the region1 version: man is that not the ugliest looking packaging in the history of dvd. Some moron probably got paid a few Ks to come up with that monstrosity too.

You can't even read the blurb on the back of the case.