Legend (Blu-ray Steelbook)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & 4K Steelbooks' started by snooloui, Feb 20, 2014.

1. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. bootyman81

bootyman81
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    I've held off from buying this film for a long while, one of my childhood faves.
    now have a reason to buy, hoping for some cool artwork :)

3. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
  4. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I like the art, and it gives me a reason to buy the Euro cut, as I already have the US disc.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    Which version is it though the Jerry Goldsmith or Tangerine Dream soundtrack?

6. Vid

Vid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    I am gonna go with a FOX release with 94mins and a Directors cut at 113mins on the disc and Jerry Goldsmith. Deal or no Deal ? :beer:

7. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Yeah, the Euro cut and DC both have Jerry Goldsmith's score. If you want Tangerine Dream you'll have to get the US release.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    Good and how dare you say if I want something other than Jerry's:) although every time Legend mentioned the words Ringgold Rangold comes to mind.:zonked:

Interesting article link below and somewhat sad what happened to Jerry and deprived us from some great music :(

Goldsmith: Legend

9. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    • I love this film and I adore the Tangerine Dream soundtrack from the US Theatrical release (sorry Jerry fans but it is beautifully haunting ) but that steelbook artwork above is absolute pants, what a horror attack !!! - no way am I gonna dig into my pockets for that awful red and white silhouette design. This deserves a massive blow up of darkness laughing on the cover.
    Ok I see now it says artwork to be confirmed - let's hope someone with half a brain bends the ear of the studio this time round and tells them that design above stinks.

10. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I quite like it, it's somewhat elegant and better than the boring Photoshop bodge of the amarays. Although there's a wealth of gorgeous Legend artwork out there.

11. bootyman81

bootyman81
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    I like the fact that its different & that Fox are actually trying to give us something we haven't seen before. Instead of a rehashed VHS/DVD cover.
    I like it myself (I don't love it yet) I think it'll look better in hand.
    I haven't seen this film in years & I have no idea which is the best version to watch?

12. doctorblue

doctorblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Perhaps going off topic a a little but...

"For the life of me, I can't understand how anybody could think the Goldsmith score is better than the Tangerine Dream one. The unicorn theme that Tangerine Dream produced made this movie. It's the theme that gives this movie life. Just watch the scene where Jack goes to ask for forgiveness from the unicorn and compare the two. The Tangerine score can bring you to tears while the Goldsmith score does nothing. I have nothing against Goldsmith but his score does not fit this movie. It's bland and generic and doesn't fit."

13. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I like both, but far prefer Goldsmith's ( he's my favourite film composer so I'm biased). The TD score doesn't have half a strong a theme as Goldsmith's, which of course echoes the lullaby Mia Sara sings so it all ties in together. I think it's lovely.

14. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    And I have no idea on it, been 20 odd years since I saw it on tv - had amaray a year or so but haven't watch it, I'm sure both are good.

15. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    Available to Pre-order @ Zavvi

16. Vid

Vid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    I think Amazon and others may beat that stupid price from Zavvi. Man whoever is in charge there is really smoking something bad.

17. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    Possibly but there's mad pricing all over the place right now.

18. Vid

Vid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    Ain't that the truth :suicide:

19. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    Pics (with thanks to Ricster @ HDN)

Attached Files:

20. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    As I suspected, best of a bad bunch, only one I'll get. Speed will be a repurchase of the amaray.

21. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    You're absolutely right about the wealth of fantastic artwork out there ,Lord Of Darkness, the dark blue forest etc which makes this dull two-tone shape choice a bit mystifying (to me) - I really hate it and it's going to stop me buying it for sure. It looks poorly thought out, no imagination clumsy and clunky.

I already have the lenticular US 2 disc Blu-ray set anyway with the uS Theatrical & Director's Cut so I've already got the Tangerine Dream Score and Ridley Scott score to listen to, although I prefer the Tangerine Dream Score , I prefer the Director's Cut of the movie - too many scenes missing from the US theatrical release or chopped to pieces like Meg Mucklebones. although the US cut has an outrageously dark sinister opening 5 minutes.

22. HughFran

HughFran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So do we know yet which version of the score is on this release? Are there two cuts of the movie? I'd love to see the details before committing to buy!!

23. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Hope I don't bore you too much with this explanation but here goes :-

There are actually 5 versions of this film although only 3 were released on DVD , leaving to one side the VHS version and the TV version.

In the US there are 2 versions - the new director's cut which is 113 minutes long and the US theatrical version which is 89 minutes.

The UK and European Theatrical release is 94 minutes, however, the dvd uk release is the edited UK TV version running at a further chopped 89 minutes. This 89 minutes UK TV version appears to be the version on the steelbook this time around

The differences are largely in the beginning , middle and end sequences and most obviously, the musical scores.

The original musical score for the film was by Jerry Goldsmith but was discarded before US release in theatres as the film was thought too long & the score not dark enough. It cut down from 119 minutes to 89 minutes before release. For this reason a new musical score by Tangerine Dream was commissioned.
    In the UK and Europe, the movie was slightly less edited and included 5 more minutes ( probably even longer if you consider the difference in frame speed between NTSC and PAL ) and the original Jerry Goldsmith score was re-edited and used.

Ridley Scott also used almost the complete Goldsmith score for his director's cut ( only available in the USA at the time) which extended the film back to its almost original length, only missing the alternative beginning with the 4 goblins finding the unicorn hair and the faerie dance featuring Tom Cruise dancing with the fairys ( no laughing please )

Music aside - the other main differences are

1) Beginning - the US Theatrical Cut has the macabre torture and body hacking scenes from the Castle Dungeon of Darkness as well as the full body silhouette of Darkness on his throne with the red eyes. The two other versions have the same opening scene of Blix making his way through the forest with various shots of animals (Bear Deer etc) upon being summoned by darkness to his fortress lair.

2) middle - most famously , the Meg Mucklebones scene - this was hacked to a totally confusing and wasted 51 seconds in the US Theatrical release leaving most people wondering what it was all about ! the director's cut restores most of it to a 2 minute 20 second session that includes a lot of the banter between Jack and Meg but the fullest version is surprisingly in the UK theatrical release ( at over 3 minutes ) which does Meg her full justice and is the only one of the 3 that includes the dialogue " what a fine meal you'll make if the rest of you be as sweet as your tongue " - this line although included in the UK dvd release, has been included in a further edited "Meg" scene making the running time of this sequence a paltry 1 min 40 sec.

3) end - in all 3 versions the end monologue by darkness before he disappears is different and extended in both the US versions ( no idea why as none of the 3 either add or take away from what the other 2 say ) - the US versions only show 1 of his hands being severed by Jack before he disappears whereas the UK version shows darkness clawing at the rock walls, finger nails sparking and howling as he is sucked to the edge of the precipice - before you also see jack hacking both his hands off although no monologue is given by darkness before this happens. The UK DVD release also edits the sequence showing only one hand being removed, you'll need to get the original VHS version to see all of it.

I have no idea which version they are going to commission for this release but if the Amazon details page is correct, (it states 89 minutes) it's the same heavily edited UK TV version at 89 minutes - not worth getting at all.

To complicate further, the European Wide release is about 4 minutes longer than the UK release and there is also the original full Ridley Scott version, still locked in the vaults and possibly lost forever that was reputedly almost 3 hours long & much darker.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  24. HughFran

HughFran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Cheers, that was really insightful and helpful. Wow, I really didn't know there were so many versions of this movie. I used to love the film as a kid but God knows which version I was watching lol! I remember the soundtrack vaguely and think it was the Tangerine Dream version. If I am going to spend £20 I want the full thing, all cuts of the film (a la Blade Runner) so that I can choose for myself. This is a Ridley Scott movie after all so you should expect a whole host of extras like he did with Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Prometheus (this list goes on).

Therefore I think you have made my mind up for me and I will wait to see if a better version comes out in the future.

25. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    (
    The better version is already here but was only ever released in the USA due to distribution rights and copyright of the Tangerine Dream Soundtrack but you can pick it up on Amazon UK cheap enough (link at bottom)

It features the Tangerine Dream Soundtrack on one disc and The Director's Cut - with Jerry Goldsmith music on the other both of which have never been available on blu-ray in the UK. :-

Ignore the Amazon retard who listed the specs as being 1 disc and the f***wit sellers who say you need a Region 1 DVD Player , it is definitely 2 discs and as a Universal Studios Release - it is Region Free (A,B,C)
    Not bad for £ 5.97 new & sealed.

Legend [Blu-ray] [1985] [Region Free] [US Import]: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Cruise, David Bennent, Tim Curry, Mia Sara, Alice Playten: DVD & Blu-ray

26. mightymax76

mightymax76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    mine was delivered today. Lots of little marks on the white areas. When you feel them it doesn't give you the impression of scratches? Anyone else noticed the same?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  27. mightymax76

mightymax76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ok, I was being a little thick. The one "scratch" is part of the unicorn. DOH!!
    But it's still marked all over the place with a pitted look and clearly isn't right. So I've sent it back to Amazon and requested a refund.

28. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,649
    That's part of the design mightymax76 surely? The white area isn't supposed to be solid white.

It can be seen on the mock up and on the pics i posted above (#19)

29. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    It's part of the design :facepalm:

30. mightymax76

mightymax76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Double DOH! :facepalm:
    It just didn't look right to me as I expected an off white rather than that finish. Yep I feel like a pillock!
    Oh well.....