Legend Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Great review. Strangely although I love Tom Hardy films I'm not too bothered about seeing or buying this one. Think its probably more to do with the subject. I may rent when sky box office has it though

My favorite film of 2015 , I viewed it as a tragic comedy and haven't laughed so much sometimes inadvertently at a film in ages, while still getting a strong sense of what a pair of nasty psychopaths they both truly were.

Beautifully filmed and Hardy was superb with a great support cast

a minor classic and memorable for the great central performance

I watched this last night, thought it was excellent an 8 really come on!

I think Cas has got it spot on imho. I enjoyed the movie at the cinema, and thought Tom Hardy was superb, as was the way the film was shot; but it's not exactly memorable. A 7 is about right for me.

Yup review is spot on. Hardy was brilliant but the film definitely lacked something.

Hardy was great in this, but the movie overall was very flat and lacked any excitement, I thought. I also found the sound wasn't all that great either - muffled and muddy dialogue.
This was made even more apparent, as almost immediately after this finished I watched the Michael Mann classic, Heat - the front soundstage in this (now over 20 year old!) movie is streets ahead in terms of clarity.

I every clip I have seen of this Tom Hardy comes across to me as almost exactly like Alan Partridge - which is odd to say the least !

Romantic comedy drama? Really??

I won't bother then

Thanks for the review Cas, I would agree the film was a 7. This was mainly down to Hardy, He was quite excellent at times.

I was comparing it to the excellent older version with the Kemp brothers.
With this in mind I was a bit miffed at the loved up parts, It just does not ring true to me. Also where was the infamous Chelsea Smile scene!

Hardy was good, the overall film was very disappointing for me.

What are the audio options for this disc? From what I can see it has Atmos, DTS HD 7.1 and DTS HD 5.1.....is that correct?

Had it from lovefilm rental today and it has the Atmos track. Liked the film but it could have been more violent too much lovey dovey, deffo was a bit lightweight although Hardy did well.

Deffo rental rather than a buy as would only watch the once, 7.5 rating.

I liked this but was it meant to be comical as it made me laugh a lot.
I agree it could have been more violent.
Strange it had an 18 certificate and yet John Wick, which I thought was a lot more violent, was a 15.

It was an OK film but lacked focus, going from the two Krays to Frances to The Firm to Nipper Read without much insight, dynamic or emotion. Tom Hardy was superb but overall felt pretty underwhelmed and won't be watching it again.

Now watched this - nicely filmed and seemingly a good creation of the 60s - it was in general OK but nothing outstanding - Ronnie was seemingly given a comedic portrayal - I have no idea whether that was true to life or not - and I stand by my earlier comment that Tom Hardy might have as well been Alan Partridge - in fact he even looked like Steve Cooghan as The Parole Officer.

I see there is a book about the Krays in HMV.
I'm really tempted to give it a read to find more about them.

I actually preferred The Rise and The Fall Of The Krays (2 separate movies). While clearly on a much lower budget, it seemed to concentrate more on the business side of things and certainly gave a greater insight into their antics. Also worth a mention is Simon Cottons performance as Ron.. for a relatively unknown actor he made that role his own and I reckon we'll start to see a lot more of him in the future.

Legend on the other hand just seemed like a glorified Americanized version with too much glitz and glamour.. I think Ron summed the whole movie up for me in a single sentence.. "dripping in synthetic opulence" :)

Last edited:
Poor. Didn't really fancy this when it was at the cinema but thought I'd give it a go on blu-ray. Sadly it wasn't all that good. As above the sound was very poor. Speech was like they were in a box? Worse Atmos disc to date imo.

6/10 from me.

Last edited:
I liked this but was it meant to be comical as it made me laugh a lot.
I agree it could have been more violent.
Strange it had an 18 certificate and yet John Wick, which I thought was a lot more violent, was a 15.
I think the rating had more to do with the language to be honest - most uses of the c-word in any film ever!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom